where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Zebra finches

...Over the rainbow Growing... Kalvin's Avatar
    Name
    Kalvin
    Thanks

Re: Zebra finches

I'd say a minimum of 18 inches wide for a cage, as they are lively birds. For an all round cage I'd say 18 x 12 x 12 rectangle would be fine, as always anything bigger would always be welcome.

My finches had always been fed seed, a few weeks ago I decided to try the small finch pellets and mixed them half and half with their seed. Mine pick out the pellet and eat it instead of the seed. I'm not sure what brand it is, I'll look next time I buy some, but they love it.

Geaux Tigers!!! Tailfeather NeapolitanSixth's Avatar
    Name
    Nikki
    Thanks

Zebra finches

Ooh, let me be the first to ask a question!
    I'm thinking of getting a pair of zebras, someday...no time in the near future though.
    Anyway, how big of a cage should I get, and are finch and canary pellets worth the trouble?
    I just love their energy and little beeps.

Thanks

they are very active birds and you can't clip their wings, so you would need a decent size cage for them (16" in all directions would be good, but I'm not sure about exact measurements).
    Our finches are on seed and greens and fruit, they seem to be doing great

Rent this space today! Baby DevinBre's Avatar
    Thanks

U cant clip there wings? whoa, what about other types of finches?

...Over the rainbow Growing... Kalvin's Avatar
    Name
    Kalvin
    Thanks

You can't clip any finches wings, they use up all of their fat reserves this way and a flightless one will quickly get over weight, not to mention be extremely unhappy.

Rent this space today! Baby DevinBre's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks a lot! if i were to have already bought a finch, it'd be some miserable thats why i wont buy anything LIVING without some research( so u finch experts, be prepared ) anything not livingi'll buy, like a talking can opener for the low price of 4500! wow, if i didnt waste my money so much i could buy a macaw!

Izarra

Zebra finches!

If you're planning on getting a pair... a male + female may not be the greatest idea. I used to have a male + female pair (Lucy and Dezi), and they pretty much constantly wanted to breed. At first, it wasn't a problem because all of my friends wanted finches as well...but when I ran out of friends that wanted finches, and began either shaking or removing the eggs - Lucy and Dezi became rather depressed - but kept on laying more eggs. Most of the people that recieved some of Lucy and Dezi's kids took groups of all males or all females - and didn't have any problems with rivalry or aggression. I must say baby finches are pretty much the ultimate in cuteness - especially when there are half-a-dozen little heads sticking out of the nest and two adorable little parents looking at each other with an expression of "oooooh noooo! now we have to keep track of them all OUT of the nest!?"

Another birdy Luver at heart Brand New Egg spottsmom's Avatar
    Name
    April
    Thanks

Re: Zebra finches!

If you do end up with a male an female you can buy plastic eggs at www.birds2grow.com and when the hen lays place them in the nest and remove the real ones I save the real ones in the fridge and use as well sometimes

But they do Breed like MAD many times people think finches need to have the little nests in their cages this is not true You can use branches that are safe and have some areas they can hide in they will be just as happy.

Also Zebras like swings and bells also I have not seen many Societies that like toys but they will sit on swings.
    The male society sings Very very pretty they do not have beeps like the Zebes
    Also make sure a small shallow dich for a bathtub os offered they LOVE bathing in their little tubs
    Also the Longer the cage the better they do not like round or up and down cages as they can not get their flight like helicopters but rather acrossed like planes
    I had a cage for a pair I had that was 25 inches long and 16 to 18 high and 17 inches wide they had lots of natural perches and room and swings and I did have a little basket nest in there make sure they have a cuttle bone JUST in case they go into breeding mode I also fed mine if they started some egg shells that I rinsed and put in microwave for 2 minutes then put in a small clean coffee grinder and ground them small and added to their food
    Mostly a finch seed with Small pellets not a lot I also hung millet sprays and beet tops and dandilions I got those at a organic farmers market. I used a wooden clothespin to hang in several spots
    all the small birds in the rescue eat these and Love them My budgie calls for his in the morning if i even go near the kitchen and do not head in his direction LOL
    Of course the small birds are with other members but we share food ideas and they were all at one time or another here until we got new members to help
    there are some good finch sites and groups
    one group is on yahoo for finches great bunch

April