Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: i told off a family friend... african gray

Name
    stephanie
    Thanks

Angry i told off a family friend... african gray

So yesturday the family friend Jes came over. She wanted a baby tiel from me if they had more eggs. And i told everyone i wouldnt dare give her a baby if they did.
    So she tells me at dinner she asked this person who "catches parrots when people release them" and he rescues birds. I dont know if thats true but she said thats what he does for a livin. I go u know grays are different then a tiel? She goes ive had a tiel before and ive had budgies. SHe is the KNOW IT ALL type. And i go but aan african gray isnt like those. They are loud, expensive, needa alot of attention, and they will pluck their feathers out. SHe goes well theres nothing wrong with a naked bird!!!
    I swear that pissssed me off.
    she goes my mothers dog used to have a skin rash in an area and not have fur. we would rub skin, and she was laughing makign it a joke. I go "but this would obviously mean the bird is stressed and ur not doign something about it. and plucking hurts the bird. "
    If i dont trust her with a tiel.. h
    ow the hell can i trust her getting a gray? it just made me so mad i stopped talking to her and everyone. And a few mins she goes someone got quiet. My bf goes i think shes ****** at u about the plucking thing.. right in front of everyone at the table. See my bf knows me so well. i wasnt even looking at him and he already knew.

so to sum up the story.. i hope she doesnt get a gray. But she talks stuff that i dont know if i can believe her or not and she thinks she is always correct.

Moderator Tailfeather Community Moderator notredamebird's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

Re: i told off a family friend... african gray

Quote Originally Posted by youngsterteil View Post
    So she tells me at dinner she asked this person who "catches parrots when people release them" and he rescues birds. I dont know if thats true but she said thats what he does for a livin. I go u know grays are different then a tiel? She goes ive had a tiel before and ive had budgies. SHe is the KNOW IT ALL type. And i go but aan african gray isnt like those. They are loud, expensive, needa alot of attention, and they will pluck their feathers out. SHe goes well theres nothing wrong with a naked bird!!!
    Well, nobody makes living out of catching escaped birds. For one thing, there is no good way to find a lost bird unless the owner has a pretty good idea where it has gone. Secondly, there aren't enough bird owners in one area for their to be enough clients with escaped birds at any given time. If he has a bird-related job, that's not it.

If he works with a recognized rescue, then she won't get a bird if she lays the know-it-all thing on too thick. Recognized rescues are so picky (maybe too picky) about where they will place birds. They'll require background info, references, a home visit, a contract... especially for adoptees of an african gray. Rescue volunteers themselves tend to be a little know-it-all or just very "blunt" since they deal with irresponsible people and tend to be sick of it. They'll scare her off real quick or else force her to change her tune to something more diplomatic.

If this guy runs a "rescue" that is a one-man show, all bets are off. I adopted my cockatiels from "rescues" run by single individuals. One person was almost certainly fibbing about being a rescue -- the entire situation just didn't add up. I took Atrus and Catherine home just to get them out of there b/c the "rescue" planned to split them up despite them being a bonded pair. The second people were quite nice and seemed actually to do dog rescue (they had a whole book of successful dog adoptions, which people don't normally fake). But they trusted me a lot more than they probably should have, and let me adopt the birds without making me verify anything I said about myself. So if she's talking to an individual person, who knows...

Anyway, hopefully this is a passing fancy.
    Atrus---Wesley---Tolkien
    Catherine---Lúthien---Elwing---Tipti

Remove Ads