where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Introductions

Animal Nut! Growing... Courtney's Avatar
    Name
    Courtney
    Thanks

Introductions

When the time comes to introduce Chiquita my Indian ringneck and my conure Boomer how do I go about doing that? They will never be caged together it would just be nice to get them to have play times together. Do I just let them out together? I know that it should be slowly done, cage in the same room for them to get used to each other but I will be nervous when I let them out together, any suggestions?

Mom to Two Jack Russell Terriers (Rocky & Jack), 4 fish tanks, Two Parrots, Indian Ringneck (Chiquita) & Green Cheek Conure (Boomer).

Name
    di
    Thanks

Re: Introductions

My suggestion would be cages close by and see how they go. Then let one out, probably Chiquita and see if she goes to the cage and how the other and he react, then if that then seems ok let them both out but be ready to separate if you need to fast. This new bird is very new still and may be still adjusting. She may also be ready to do this but only you can tell. It was only yesterday you did say you felt you should slow down.

Birdlady Moulting Limpyduckling's Avatar
    Name
    Rosalie
    Thanks

Birds will amaze you. Ive heard of a quaker and a cockatoo bonding and preening each other. I have a sun conure and a cockateil that love each other and preen each other. If I were you I would put their cages side by side. See how it goes. If they are male and female they will probably get along better than the same sex imo.

٩(●̮̮̃̃)۶ Four More Babies Hatched! Skittles's Avatar
    Name
    Lauren
    Thanks

Just take it slow. I wouldn't recommend letting one on or approach the other's cage.

That's like having a brand new neighbour beside your house that you've never met before, constantly appearing on your deck, invading your space, you wouldn't be happy with that would ya?

Your best bet would be to have them BOTH out with you at the same time in a neutral area away from cages and territories.

Kiwi flew to Skittles so that's an exception on how my two were introduced. But when I introduced Skittles to Elwood (before she passed away) I put the two of them on my bed and let them explore and interact.

You might want to try that

Name
    Brittany
    Thanks

Yup, i think "neutral territory" is the best way. That way neither bird has anything to defend, like their cage, toys, food, etc.
    Just keep an eye on body language. I don't know anything about IRN's but when my GCC's get angry, they poof out and start flipping their heads around and moving their bodies slowly up and down. It's their 'attack mode' lol.

I hope Boomer and Chiquita get along .
    ♥I Miss My Fids♥

Previously Tikigurl

Name
    Courtney
    Thanks

Well Chiquita and Boomers cage is in the same room now and she does not go near Boomers cage. She kind of ignores the cage. If I have Boomer out Chiquita is more curious then anything.

Oh yes the introduction will not be for a while. Just thought I would do some research first on how to do this properly. I want Boomer fully adjusted before I do this.

That is great the sun conure and teil get along, that’s cute. I will first put the cages side by side when Im ready to do introductions before I let them out. That is a good idea.

Okay when Im ready I will introduce them in neutral territory. Im starting to see Boomers body language and read it now, I know Chiquita’s body language and now I can tell when Boomer is in a bad mood.

I really hope they can play together, that would be great. I will be petrified when I first let them out. I think I will call my friend to come over so I can catch them in a huge hurry if they don’t get along. That would be a good idea I think.

Mom to Two Jack Russell Terriers (Rocky & Jack), 4 fish tanks, Two Parrots, Indian Ringneck (Chiquita) & Green Cheek Conure (Boomer).

Name
    Rosalie
    Thanks

how are they doing so far?

Name
    Courtney
    Thanks

Thanks for asking. Well Im moving like a turtle, so far I only have their cages side by side. When Boomer goes near Chiquita’s cage they beak fight, so do you think this is fighting or just playing? They just kind of open their beaks and touch beaks. They is why Im so hesitant to let them out at the same time. Should I just go for it now? Im nervous.

World Ruler in the making Chick Edd's Avatar
    Name
    Edward Wong
    Thanks

I'd take them to a room neither has been in like a bathroom and let them out at the same time on other sides of the room, this way neither is obliged to defend their territory as neither has been there. It should go alright and you shouldn't feel nervous, it has to go slow or it won't work alright. Are they actually fighting when they "beak" or just touching, are they making any threatening sounds. I'd make a 1" distance of their cages so they can't try to kill each other if i were you or they may start on a negative.

Name
    Courtney
    Thanks

I will take them in the bathroom then. I will TRY not to be nervous. LOL. They are not making any noises but when Boomer gets mad her head feathers stand up and when Chiquita is close her head feathers are always standing up. This is a sign for me that Boomer is in a bad mood and to leave her alone. It looks like they are wrestling with their beaks and trying to bite each other.

Oh yes, there cages are like a 3 difference. They are not that close.

Name
    Rosalie
    Thanks

yeh I would take it slow with them. Ill have to get the pictures of my cockateil and sun conure preening each other on here so you can see them it is so cute and precious. I was so amazed.

Name
    Kristin
    Thanks

I seem to remember reading somewhere that female IRN's can be very aggressive with other birds, especially other species of birds. It would be great if they'll eventually get along, but I'm sure you don't need to be told to be extremely careful! My IRN Clarice would try to kill my sun conure Phoenix if she ever got the chance. I have to keep her wings clipped or she'll actually fly over to Phoenix's cage.

Name
    Courtney
    Thanks

I JUST found out Chiquita is a male, he/she is getting a ring but I still call him and her, LOL. Im just so scared. I don't know if I will ever have the guts to try it because it does not look like they will get along. To me it's not worth the risk. They have individual play times now. Maybe in the future if I see them getting along next to each other but it seems to me they already hate each other.

The funny thing is Boomer will do her cute little sing songs and Chiquita will pipe in and scream at her to shut up. So Boomer will be singing along nicley and then comes this long screah with a honking sound, pretty funny.

Name
    Rosalie
    Thanks

they could be both males. I think male and female of other species get along better

Name
    Courtney
    Thanks

Yes, Boomer is probably a male and since Chiquita is getting a ring he's a male too. So Boomer could be male. It would be GREAT if they played nicley together instead of seperate.

Egg's Cracking...
    Thanks

how old is Chiquita? my irn male still hasnt got his ring and hes around 11months old.

Name
    Courtney
    Thanks

Chiquita is one year old. It can take up to three years, that is the extreme but it "can" still happen at that age.