Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Caiques

tcan

Caiques

Hi all, o does anyone own a Caique? I'm waiting on my new baby Caique to come home and I'm looking for any advice I can get on how to make a good home for my baby. If anyone has any advice, (not just Caique parent's but all birdie parents) I would really appreciate it. Thank you, Rene

...Over the rainbow Growing... Kalvin's Avatar
    Name
    Kalvin
    Thanks

Re: Caiques

I've never owned a caique but they're great little birds, full of character and total clowns.

If it's being handreared it'll most likely want to spend time with you when you get it home, leave it in it's cage a while so it can settle a little, although I've found handreared birds don't really need this settle period as they're more adaptable.

It's tempting to spend a lot of time with a new bird, but only spend as much time with it as you will be able to for the foreseeable future, if you need to work longer hours or get other commitments trying to wean your bird off of being with you all the time can be extremely difficult.

Plenty of toys and a nice size cage and you'll have a happy birdy. Introduce fruits and veg when you get it home so it's used to them, introducing them when it's older can be a pain. Offer a good diet of seeds, fruit and veg, lots of things to chew and keep it's beak trim.

Most importantly, enjoy your new bird when you get it. You'll have many happy years with it.

The Fanatical Eriwinkle Baby Erin CG's Avatar
    Thanks

I've read that Caiques can be extreemly active, hyper, needy birds, so make sure to keep his busy mind and self occupied! Get lots of toys, and be sure to rotate them around, and replace old ones with new toys when you can. If possible, let him have plenty of out-of-cage play time every day (please make sure always to supervise your bird in out-of-cage time, and make sure the enviroment around is safe for him!!) I think Caiques are so adorable, and look like such neat birds. Keep us updated on life with a Caique, and congrats!

crazy about birds Hatching Karensbirds's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Oh my goodness you are so lucky to be getting one of these birds!!!!!They have 2 at northside that are workers pets and they are sooooo awesome!!.Bea...utiful!!!!They love to play,you can grab these birds around their back and lay them on the palm of your hand and they stay there.You put your finger up to their beak and pull up they grab on and climb up,they hang upside down,,,there are so many things these birds will do.......When you get it put a picture on here.Your gonna love it!!!!!!

Hey what I meant up there ,these birds actually lay on their back in your hand.

Geaux Tigers!!! Tailfeather NeapolitanSixth's Avatar
    Name
    Nikki
    Thanks

Erin has a point with the neediness. I have a conure, which are supposed to be second in activity level to Caiques, and he gets into EVERYTHING. He has so much energy, he pretty much needs to be out from when I come home to when I go to bed....if he doesn't get the outside time and attention, he starts to excessively groom himself. They're intelligent birds, but if you think you can handle one, congrats! keep us updated!

-Nikki