Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: quakers?????

bird owner

Re: quakers?????

Sorry but I don't have an electus OR a quaker. I just want to say welcome, so Have a great time!

randyv8

quakers?????

Hi my name is Randi .. I'm using my dad's # so I can can get in this web site believe it or not... I'm looking for any info I can find on my new buddy named Rufos ,, Iguess.. (Until we can have him DNA checkrd) I have a quaker parrot and don't know what it is yet.. Either way I love it ... My dad has an eclectus named vinnie... I would love to hear from from everybody with any info about my buddy like diet

The Fanatical Eriwinkle Baby Erin CG's Avatar
    Thanks

Welcome to Tailfeathers.

Quaker parrots are hard to visually sex. Males and females look nearly identical. Your best bet is to wait until you can have it DNA'd by a vet.

Next bird-English Budgie Tailfeather Pootspete's Avatar
    Name
    Grace
    Thanks

Hi there and welcome to Tailfeathers!
    ootspete

metis2be

searching for websites with good information on quakers is tough, seeing as how they can go by the name quaker parrot, quaker parakeet, monk parrot, or monk parakeet. with information so seperated, it takes alot of googling to get good information. So far, the best website i've been able to find so far is
    quakercorner.com/peanutcorner.html
    it's writing is a little corny, but it's pretty informative. Also, there's an absolutely awesome online magazine
    www.parrotchronicles.com
    try searching on that for care information and other articles relating to quakers. Also, the behavior section can be amazingly useful (how to try and quiet a screamer, for example)

I'm supposed to be getting a quaker sometime soon so i've been doing my own research, though it's pretty tough.
    Useful as the internet is, the problem is just about anyone can post whatever they think, such as promoting seed diets for quakers, which is supposed to be pretty bad for them. I've heard so much conflicting advice on things such as whether to use sand paper perches (don't, it just hurts their feet) and getting different birds, especially different species to get along (horrib;y difficult and usually a bad idea, though there are alot of cases where its worked) that the best idea is simply to buy a book. Since your dad owns a parrot, it'll be no problem convincing him to dish out a couple of bucks to learn proper care for quakers. Good luck! Also, if you find any great resources, be sure to post them up here, seeing as how i'm always looking for more information about properly caring for birds.

One site thats always important to have is a danger site. www.parrotparrot.com/bird...lerts.htm#
    Is a good one, be creative, look at every toy you buy and think "is this a choking hazard? will my bird get caught in this? can his head get stuck? If you have any doubts, DON"T LET YOUR BIRD USE IT!

The Fanatical Eriwinkle Baby Erin CG's Avatar
    Thanks

Another excellent site for information on Quakers is www.quakerville.com. One big thing to remember about getting a Quaker is that they are illegal in several U.S. states. The quakerville website lists the current states that do not allow quakers, which states allow them with permits, and which states have no laws against owning them.

I own a Quaker, and he will be one year old on Valentine's Day. They are amazing, wonderful birds, but don't let the small size fool you. They are "big birds in little bodies", and many have the ability to talk, squawk, and behave much like a large parrot would. Quakers do need a lot of time, special care, and attention, and there are many things to consider before bringing one into your home.

Sweet Tweet

re

first off I'm so happy for you!!! I love quakers!!! they are just such cuddly bunnies !!!
    I wish I had one

the best place for information that I have seen is this website:

www.quakerparrots.com/onlineguide/

It really is like an online book. I pretty much covers everything you may need to know.