Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Buddy the Bird Thread (Was: So I want another bird....)

Thanks

Official Buddy the Bird Thread (Was: So I want another bird....)

kakarikis are great, but they do better in aviaries (in fact around here you can only keep them in an aviary)... have you looked into getting a smaller conure, like a maroon bellied one? they are very cute and relatively small (no bigger than a tiel), and are very cute and funny birds...
    Last edited by NeapolitanSixth; 08-18-2004 at 07:06 AM.

Name
    Clayton
    Thanks

Re: So I want another bird....

Did a quick search on the maroon bellied. They sound pretty loud. Do you have experience with them? Are they louder than cockatiels?

Name
    Clayton
    Thanks

So I want another bird....

I've got a another fair sized cage and I'd like to fill it with another feathered friend. I've currently got two tiels, and would like to get something different. They'd of course be living in the different cages, but sharing the same playtime.

Since I live in an apartment, and work nights (and sleep in the day) I want something that won't be any louder than a cockatiel.

So far I'm considering either a kakariki, senegal parrot, or a white-capped pionus. I'm thinking that the kakariki might be the best way to go, as from what I've read the senegal parrot can get very jealous/aggressive with other birds, and the people at the pet store told me that the pionus can get pretty loud in the mornings.

So does anybody have any suggestions on any other kinds of birds that might be suitable? Noise level is a big consideration, and it's hard to get a good understanding of how loud some of these birds are from various websites because when they say these birds are 'quiet' alot of times these people are used to keeping the bigger (and much louder) cockatoos, macaws and such.

So any input on the three above species or any other species you can think of would be nice.

Linco11

I have a Green Cheek Conure my tiels make more sound than him and he is the best bird in the world hes so smart and funny. Go to a pet store and hold one you will be glad you did.

Hatching
    Name
    Allison
    Thanks

I for one highly reccomend a white capped pionus. I may be slightly baised for I have one. Sophie is four and is an absolute doll. Sghe is flexible with school hours as long as she gets her time. She loves head scrithces and didn't ,ind much when Pumpkin the budgie was out with her. She likies to be with me during the day when I am home. So a simple perch that can be carried around the house is a good idea. I highly suggest that you find more information about pionus as they are truly a joy to have around.

Another birdy Luver at heart Brand New Egg spottsmom's Avatar
    Name
    April
    Thanks

Hi
    I have to agree a green Cheeked Conure is one of the less noisy of the parrot bunch
    HOWEVER that said please KNOW that ALL Birds have the propensity to be loud
    No matter what species
    i have a senegal here I always read how quiet they are perfect for apartments
    well She is most the time quiet HOWEVER when she does get it in her mind to her call is Shrill and LOUD
    As is the case with Most birds
    I have had MANY tiels come through the rescue and there were several of those that got pretty loud as well so it is all in the bird as a individual make sure to ask Questions find a rescue or a breeder who is willing to let you meet and share a little time with the bird get to know all about him or her from the person who has the bird
    This can be a HUGE help especially since you are really set on a Quiet bird
    Though i have to admit Most who contact us and ask for a quiet bird I try to persuade them to NOT get a bird as All birdss can get noisy for one reason or another at some point and well I am always scared the bird will be returned if it makes a sound when people say Quiet
    Hoewever I think in your case you know what to expect in birds and are willing to work at finding a good match

I would really go with a Green Cheeked though out of All the birds I have worked with they are by far the lowest in voice
    Also the peach front Conures are pretty quiet as well
    The senegals have a shrill high call Though not used a lot most times ours does a phone ringing LOL instead of her call but when she does call We all know it LOL

Hope this helps
    Happy hunting
    April

Name
    Clayton
    Thanks

Thanks for the replies.

birdygirl, can you tell me how loud your pionus is? I'm getting conflicting reports on how loud they are. I was at the pet store again today, and the girl I usually deal with was there again (the bird expert) and she was saying that they don't get that loud at all compared to cockatiels and lovebirds. She was also saying that the girl that told me that the pionus gets pretty loud in the mornings might have been the girl they just got rid of because she didn't know what she was doing. From what I understand the only time they get really loud is when the vaccum cleaner is on.

And sadly nobody in my area has any conures...

Hatching
    Name
    Allison
    Thanks

Sophie my pionus isn't very loud. I mean sometimes she can be loud but it isn't too loud to deal with. HEr loudness isn't any louder than a cockatiels. She doesn't like it when the vacuum cleaner is on or any cleaning products so when she see's any of these she screams once or twice. They are shrill and may be a bit louder than a tiel(I don't much on loudness of tiels sinc I never had one) Usually her calls are quieter and not loud at all. Keep in mind that every bird is different and some may be louder than others. however in general they are pretty quiet. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask me either here or you could email me at birdygirl4@yahoo.com
    -Allison

Name
    Clayton
    Thanks

Thanks, that helps. Pretty much the only thing that's keeping me from getting one is the price ($899 Cnd is alot).

Hatching
    Name
    Allison
    Thanks

Try looking for a breeder. Petstores are pretty expensive. Birds there are a few times more expensive there than at a breeders. I got Sophie for 300 Usd which is about 400 Canadian dollars.

Hatching
    Name
    Allison
    Thanks

Here are some breeders..
    www.mylittledarlings.com/

www.birdsnways.com/birds/bradint.htm

This site you have to look abit but there a few WC pionusbreeders on here.

Name
    Clayton
    Thanks

Again, thanks for the help but there's no breeders anywhere near me that have a pionus, and from what I can tell with shipping I'd be looking at about as much as buying from the pet store anyway.

Hatching
    Name
    Allison
    Thanks

I'd look around on other sites also. I'd say be willing drive a bit to get one. We drove for about three hours to get Sophie. So hopefully you find the bird for you.

Name
    Clayton
    Thanks

I'd have to drive more than three hours. There isn't a pionus breeder in Alberta. I'd either have to drive 7+ hours into British Columbia across mountains in the winter time, or 12+ hours across Saskatchewan into Manitoba and I'm not willing to do either. Who knows, you could drive all that way, or spend hundreds of dollars in shipping and get a mean, unsocialized bird. I'd rather spend a few hundred dollars over regular market value and get a bird I'm familiar with that I know is friendly and has been taken care of.

I'll let you know what I do.

Hatching
    Name
    Allison
    Thanks

Well good luck with whatever choice you make. I agree 7-12 hrs is quite a bit.