where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: quakers

Hatching
    Name
    Ingrid
    Thanks

quakers

Hi all. I saw Skyler Devin's post and figured i'd better get chatting!!! I recently became a new tiel mommy and I LOVE HER TO DEATH!!!! What a doll! Anyway, at some point (in the moderately distant future) i want to get another bird. I read THE FUNNIEST story about a quaker the last night (Elmo, TOO FUNNY!) and I kind of fell in love. But since i am a rather new birdie owner i was wondering if a quaker is a good bet? I think that they are ADORABLE and since my baby is a girl tiel, she isn't very chatty and i think it would be fun to have a chatty bird. Would a quaker be friendly with a tiel? Just on a play gym or something, not to share a cage. Does anyone know of any good quaker sites?

THanks.

Name
    Clayton
    Thanks

Re: quakers

Quakers!!

quakerparrots.com

From what I understand quakers are alright with birds their own size or bigger, but can turn nasty with smaller birds like tiels and budgies. Quakers are also illeagal in some states so that's something you'll have to look into.

Another birdy Luver at heart Brand New Egg spottsmom's Avatar
    Name
    April
    Thanks

Hi
    Quakers are great birds and very smart and wonderful talkers for the most part I mean most of them talk Of course this is NEVER a sure thing and of course never a reason to get one
    However They are such Loveable and comical nad interactive birds\
    They can still be a BIG bird in a little package as they can get a tad nippy and full of themselves at times so you must make sure to do ladders and stay in the Top Bird role
    I also advise wings clipped qnd thats not just for attitude adjustment but safety issues as well
    Either way make sure to read up and get loads of info and most of all as said before see if they are legal in your state
    if so find a rescue or a reliable breeder.
    I would be more then happy to put you in touch with soem really great rescues and with soem responsible and great breeders if you like
    Quakers have always been my favorite Shhh do not tel the other birds LOL
    I have one here that is Plucked naked and will never get feathers again but is SUCH a SWEETY
    he loves to dance and sing and lays on his back in my 9 year olds hand and sucks his toes
    and loves to cuddle with my son he sort of picked Andrew as his person and Andrew can get him to do ANYTHING
    he calls him Birdy and when Keys hears Andrew come in from school he calls over and over Birdy Birdyyyy
    until Andrew comes in and gets him LOL
    He will go to anyone and loves to cuddle and i just about cry when I think about how the mom at his old home said he is Too ugly thats why he was sent to us
    Poor little guy ,may have stopped plucking a long time ago IF they had ONLY taken the time to take him to a vet Such a SWEET bird to be treated in such a way
    Anyway Sorry did not mean to make this a sad post I have had several Q's here at the rescue all in great homes now with members or new adoptions and they are all doing great

I may be a bit biased but I can think of NO better bird then a Quaker
    There is a great Quaker board with some wonderful stories at
    www.delphiforums.com
    I am not sure the exact link to the forum but a quick search will give it to you
    Great bunch of folks there with Q's and several great rescuers and breeders as well
    Feel free to email me your location i would be happy to help if you are in a state they are legal we get MANY calls for Q's in need of a new home
    you can email me through the rescue
    we_r_loved@yahoo.com

April

Hatching
    Name
    Ingrid
    Thanks

At some point i will be getting a quaker if i get more birds, and eventually probably many MANY years down the road i want to get an umbrella cockatoo.

I live in an apartment that is actually half of a house so we can often hear the neighbors TV and i'm sure they can hear my budgie and tiel. I decided to go with a budgie because they are quieter than quakers (though my male is pretty loud, much louder than my tiel.) And also the lady at the nearest rescue told me all about this beautiful half english budgie that needed a home and i kind of fell in love with him before i even met him.

I also want to be more settled and financially stable before i get more birds. I am a student now and only work part time, and i know how pricey vet bills can be etc. I am being responsible and stuff, but i don't want to be!!!