Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    return to real life Tailfeather
    Thanks

Re: pair of hybrid lovebirds

It is really common for eyering lovebirds to be hybrids, because of unscrupulous breeding practices that started going on immediately after the birds were imported.

First Baby Hatched!
    Name
    Lee
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaM View Post
    That is totally uncalled for!!! I have a hybrid lovebird and he is the sweetest lovebird that I have ever owned. I think that you are being overly harsh, and should keep your comments to yourself. Yes, I bred Lovebirds, I don't intentionally bred Hybrids but in a Avery condition it happens. Doe's that make me a horrible person? No, I don't think so. I'm sorry but your comments really ****** me off. I don't usually say anything, but this time I had to vent. I guess I will be attack for stating what is on my mind, so as of today I will be quitting tailfeathers . Denise I'm sorry, that you boiled the egg. I know that you didn't want to.
    Nobody has called into question the personality of hybird birds, and yes they deserve to be as loved as any other bird.
    Being a horrible person was hardly brought into question at all, overly dramatic flouncing still doesn't take it away that you are clearly an inconsiderate breeder if you allow hybridization to go on, aviary setting ot not.
    I know it is widely debated over the ill effects of hybird birds in regard to health, however you cannot take it away that you are further destroying the gene pool of the captive lovebird species. It is not, actually, unknown for hybird lovebirds (in between the eyering species, and there are reports of unsterile hybrids between peach faced/eye ring also) to breed, and as such if you sell these babies how do you know they will never have clutches of their own, allowing for even more genetic damage to be done to the species?
    I think it's obvious from your post that the idea of hybridization hit a nerve, perhaps you should better educate yourself before continuing to breed?

Thanks

well in my town I am a respected breeder. people recommend me because i care about the well far of all animals.I only breed my birds 3 times a year at the most. and everyone says my babies are so tame and lovable. if I started mixing bird species what would they think. they would think I have gone batty that's what. I think I might take the one in question to the vet and see if he thinks its a hybrid fischer's lovebird. if she is then thats ok I can just have her as a pet. and when I post a add wanting birds i always say no hybrids please. I would not try to breed a cat with a dog so why would I breed a fischers with a peach faced.

Think before typing Tailfeather
    Thanks

How would you fare in a town that has more than one breeder, so people actually have options? I'm guessing they don't get anything in writing from you, as that would be enough to scare me off immediately.

Egg's Cracking...
    Thanks

Here is a link to a study that I found some time ago that discusses behavior differences between species, as well as the personality confusion hyridization causes.

http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientis...ture_or_nu.php
    ~Valerie~

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

i;m glad you're boiling the eggs
    i think all the regulars know my feelings and heartbreak from hybridisation well enough for me not to comment.

Suffice to say if i had been able to change any thing about my darling late Sparky it would have been to make her a healthy, happy non-hybrid bird. If it wasnt for the hybridisation she might still be here

She was the sweetest little thing, personality cant be questioned. But i'd rather she had been grumpy and miserable if it meant she were still here

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pixibubbles View Post
    i;m glad you're boiling the eggs
    i think all the regulars know my feelings and heartbreak from hybridisation well enough for me not to comment.

Suffice to say if i had been able to change any thing about my darling late Sparky it would have been to make her a healthy, happy non-hybrid bird. If it wasnt for the hybridisation she might still be here

She was the sweetest little thing, personality cant be questioned. But i'd rather she had been grumpy and miserable if it meant she were still here
    I never knew sparky was a hybrid. I enjoyed the threads about her. So hybrids can be really sick birds. I read that thing on hybrids in the link I was given on here. It does not happen in the wild and I try to give my birds a natural environment.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

she was a runt, a rescue and a hybrid. My vet always believed she would have been more resilient if not for the hybridisation. And that the car accident wouldnt have been so likley to result in long term mutliation

And we were warned to try and prevent nestiness as she'd probably start to develop further issues. And she was hybridised within the eyering sub spiecies or genus or whatever you call it

They can be really happy, healthy strong birds like Tinman's little cutie. Problem is you dont know until it's too late. Not every hybrid will be a runt or weaker bird with behavioural issues. But it's a lot more likely than in non-hybrids.

not to mention hybirds are usually sterile. kinda makes me think maybe nature does know best.
    In the wild they probably wouldnt hatch, or wouldnt be fed properly and never mature.

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Name
    amy
    Thanks

I just bought a fischers and peachface to keep as pets. The Fischer is DNA as a male, the peach face is a baby not yet tested. If she is a girl can you keep them together and avoid breeding?

BTW i thought the hybrides would be sterile anyway so the lineage is not really messed up is it?

Hatched!
    Name
    mask
    Thanks

You can keep them together and prevent breeding yes.

Name
    amy
    Thanks

How?

Hatched!
    Name
    mask
    Thanks

I've explained it in so many posts before, and there's loads of info about this on the web. Just have a look at how they breed and live in nature, then work that info into your birds regime.

Baby
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Sounds like nature taking it's course with the 2 lovebirds.

Hatched!
    Name
    mask
    Thanks

Not really because nature put 3500km distance between the 2 species for a reason