Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Kristin
    Thanks

I'm quitting my job

I'm finding the thought of quitting really scary. I've been there for a few years and REALLY know the job, get along great with the crew, and most of the time it's fun. But the graveyard hours are killing me. I only work Friday and Saturday nights, get the rest of the week off, but the next day after working it feels like I've been bullriding, not serving tables all night. Those hours, when you have 6 kids at home, are seriously KILLER. It takes me until Tuesday to get back on a regular schedule, and even then I'm feeling wiped out.

At the beginning of the summer, the manager asked me if I could pick up the weekend graveyard nights, just until Burning Man (labor day weekend), which is our busiest time of the year. I was unsure, so she let me think about it a week. I told her okay, but made it clear that I couldn't continue to work graveyard after school started, since I already knew how hard it is to fight two sleeping schedules throughout the week and take care of the family. I'm tired ALL the time, and we've had a crappy summer as a result. I feel bad enough about it now; my kids are growing up fast, and I'm not going to ruin their weekends when they're in school because I'd have to be sleeping!

So now the manager is saying that she never told me I'd only be doing it for the summer, and this was meant to be a permanent position for me. Um, no. Noooooo. I would have never agreed to take it on permanently. I remember what she said. I'm sure she did too, and I feel a bit double-crossed. So after Burning Man I'm quitting, I can't do this anymore.

I'm nervous because my job brought in anywhere between $200 and $400 a month, and it was nice to have that as emergency money or even fun money. I'm planning on donating plasma to bring in some extra, but that probably won't even get me $200 a month. I'll miss it there. It could be a fun job at times, and I've made some good friends. But on the upside, I'll have weekends with the family now, I won't have to worry about trying to get time off if I want to do something on Friday or Saturday night, my kids won't be sad to see me go to work, I'll have more time now for writing and gardening, and I won't be so freaking sore and tired all the time!

Name
    di
    Thanks

Re: I'm quitting my job

Sounds to me that the pros work out better than the cons do. Maybe a better part time one will come along if you decide you need it. Hugs.

Queen of her Flock Parent Sun_angel00's Avatar
    Name
    Cheryl
    Thanks

If my boss ever did that too me, I would walk. I wouldnt even be nice enough to stick around until Labour day because you know nothing is going to change.
    "I will lend to you, a Bird", God said, "and teach you all you have to do. And when I call him back to heaven, you will know he loved you too."

Moderator Tailfeather Community Moderator notredamebird's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

A thought: You should make it very clear that the "permanent" change in schedule is the only reason you are leaving, that you like the job but never agreed to work longer hours and simply can't, given your family responsibilities.

The manager may surprise you by suddenly backing down, once she perceives that she is loosing someone who already knows the job.
    Atrus---Wesley---Tolkien
    Catherine---Lúthien---Elwing---Tipti

Name
    Barb
    Thanks

Yeah Danielle has a good point. Of course if you still want to just call it quits and spend time with your kids there is nothing wrong with that either.

What about you and your kids making bird toys or something and selling them online? Maybe make a few bucks in a different kind of way?

Thanks

Danielle is completely correct.

I find that work places at times try to bully you into working more (especially hospitality) and when you call their bluff on it they will probably back down if they want you to stay.

Name
    Chili and Nelli
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mizpriz View Post
    .... Burning Man (labor day weekend), which is our busiest time of the year.
    Hey Kristin - I totally respect your privacy, so please igorne me if you don't want to say, but you've got me all curious about where you work that Burning Man is your busiest time of year. Is your workplace Burning Man related or just the general business BM brings to Reno?

And on the subject... have you ever been?!

Bow chicka wow wow! I... Found a Mate Breadpazoid's Avatar
    Name
    Jillybean
    Thanks

Kristin! Me too!

I put in my two weeks notice the other day (it was more like 2 and a half, maybe 3 - my last day is my birthday, LMAO)

I'm leaving because I'm moving about 30 miles away to go to uni. I am just not gonna have the energy to work graveyard, rush up to school, be there ALL day and come straight back to work graveyard again with no sleep!! I would have to be inhuman!!

Plus my line of work has very little flexibility in scheduling, they just can't guarantee that they can give me hours when my schedule changes every 14 or so weeks with the quarter system at school.

I echo what Danielle said though. Call the bluff.

Mom to Ducky! (female cinnamon GCC)...THANK YOU Keet for the gorgeous sig!!
    Won't you come see me after 12am?

Name
    Kristin
    Thanks

I'm sure you're all right and they'll try to talk me into staying or changing my schedule to fit with my needs more. There's certainly no shortage of people wanting more hours or applying for the job, so it's not like they can't find someone to fill my hours. Last year I was going to turn in my notice, and the manager said, "The schedule's yours; pick what hours you want and you'll get them." I worked only Fridays 6 pm to 2 am all year, and that was kind of nice. I might be willing to stay if they'd let me have those hours back (except my co-worker will be so mad at me for giving my old hours to the other graveyard gal who drives her nuts! )

I like that idea, Barb. I've seen a lot of inspiring crafts and other things that people are selling online at some craft site; can't remember the name right now. My kids want to sell steampunk jewelry! My little nieces have even sold their handmade hair bows there.

Gooses: I don't mind at all! I work at the Sparks Denny's on Nugget Ave. (just saw that you're from here!). We get huge hordes of burners coming back this way after the event, either to the airport or on through the state. It's an incredibly fun weekend to work, even though it's exhausting, because they're all very nice and friendly, they have amazing stories to tell about their experiences, some of them give me free crafts, and they tip pretty well. We get so busy that there's often a longer wait for food than usual, but they're almost always cool with that. They're just so happy to be back in civilization and eating real food. You should see the carpets afterwards, they're white from all the sand!

I've never been to Burning Man, but last year I was invited several times. Apparently I have the "burner spirit." I'd love to get out there just to see the artwork, but the cost of getting in is a bit steep for me. I'll just have to be happy looking at pictures. Have you gone?

Name
    Kristin
    Thanks

Jilly, can't blame you at all for putting in your notice! That would be impossible to juggle that kind of schedule.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

The burners stop by Colfax on the way to burning man and then again back to the cities below us. Its fun to watch them pull into town with all there weird "art" all over the bikes and cars. Its way too expensive for us to go but I always wanted to go. Gooses if you go you will have to tell all of us about it. I rent Motorhomes to people going and they all love it, very laid back with lots of things you wouldn't want your kids to see or do all around is what I hear the most, oh and art, lots of strange art. Sounds like my kind of fun

Kristin with your people attitude I wouldn't think you would have troubles finding another job up there, its hard to find a good fun waitress. I say if they are not willing to listen to you then just quit and take some time out to spend with your kids, having that many kids is a job in itself.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Moderator Tailfeather Community Moderator notredamebird's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mizpriz View Post
    Jilly, can't blame you at all for putting in your notice! That would be impossible to juggle that kind of schedule.
    Also, businesses expect their college age students to disappear in August. They might not like it, but it happens to them every year.
    Atrus---Wesley---Tolkien
    Catherine---Lúthien---Elwing---Tipti

Its about time this Egg's Cracking... Milover's Avatar
    Name
    Jamie
    Thanks

Good luck Kristin. Maybe I'll stop by and say hi on my way to the burn

Bow chicka wow wow! I... Found a Mate Breadpazoid's Avatar
    Name
    Jillybean
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by notredamebird View Post
    Also, businesses expect their college age students to disappear in August. They might not like it, but it happens to them every year.
    I didn't make it any surprise that I was planning to leave eventually - I just never gave them a set date. Our staff developer/schedule-master-lady gave me a disapproving look and told me, "Well, I knew it was coming."

Handling the employees is going to be so much easier than handling the residents. I am prepared for revenge and war from them. I'm just starting to tell some of them and oh boy, they are not happy!

Mom to Ducky! (female cinnamon GCC)...THANK YOU Keet for the gorgeous sig!!
    Won't you come see me after 12am?

Katrina Baby
    Name
    Katrina
    Thanks

Sounds like you are doing the right thing. If I was in your position I would do the same thing. Jobs will come and go but spending time with your children is much more important.

Birdlady Moulting Limpyduckling's Avatar
    Name
    Rosalie
    Thanks

Good luck to you kristin on your decision. I had a boss that bullied me to

Breeding
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Limpyduckling View Post
    Good luck to you kristin on your decision. I had a boss that bullied me to

Bullied you to what?
    Anger? Tears? The southern tip of Argentina?

Name
    Kristin
    Thanks

About half the time this boss is cool though. Doesn't cope well under pressure, snaps a lot, but at least she tries to have fun. Not like my boss from the Department of Transportation, who was a real bully. I still have nightmares of that #*$(&--the latest was last night, which then segued into a nightmare of Denny's. LOL However, as with just about any job, the importance of running the company takes precedence over the importance of the employee's family life. I'm actually dreading turning in my 2 weeks notice, because I know they will give me a guilt trip for it!

Jamie, that would be fun! The burners are so much more fun than the Hot August Nights crowd (2nd busiest time of the year).

Name
    di
    Thanks

Kristin, They can not MAKE you feel guilty. That will only happen if you allow it and DO feel guilty. Hugs

Breeding
    Thanks

When they try to guilt you, ask for some ridiculous amount of money.

Name
    Kristin
    Thanks

I know! Something I have to work on, my doormat complex and tendency to feel guilty about everything! I'm a lot better than I used to be, though. Ridiculous amounts of money would definitely help.

Name
    Kristin
    Thanks

Seems Denny's isn't getting rid of me quite yet. I didn't even have to bring it up with the manager, she asked right away if I wanted to go back to one night a week after Burning Man, or if I'd like to keep my current hours. I'm okay with one night. My co-worker isn't. She doesn't want this other girl taking my place, apparently she's a tweaker and drives her nuts. Sorry, but it's not my problem, gotta take care of my own health and family first!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am happy it worked out for you and dont let the other girl get to you, she can work with the tweaker
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Kristin
    Thanks

I know, I'm afraid I spoiled her with my wonderful non-tweaky personality. I actually took over the hours for a tweaky guy who came in to work drunk just a few times too many. She griped about him too, but lived through it. She has to work with tweaker girl tonight (whom I think is a nice person, just very hyperactive and talks nonstop ), because I have the night off. Hubby's company picnic is at Donner today, but I'm debating whether to just stay home and rest, because I'm tired. I've been to a few of the Donner parties (heh! I made a funny), and if you've been to one, you've been to 'em all. They're okay but not terribly exciting.