Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Red face Cockatiels : Producing heavy pied chicks :-)

Hi All..

I have an albino hen.. I want to have heavy pied chicks which is very rare in our state.. I want chicks like the one shown in this link.. http://www.genesisaviaries.com/aphrodite2.jpg... Can any of you plz suggest me what kind of cock can be useful in producing heavy pied chicks ??

Cockatiel Crazy!!!!! Baby JPerkins's Avatar
    Name
    Josh
    Thanks

Re: Cockatiels : Producing heavy pied chicks :-)

The picture is of a whiteface cinnamon pearl heavy pied... which is beautiful! Is that what you were trying to produce?
    Phillipians 4:13 - "I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me."

http://www.perkinstiels.webs.com

Cockatiel Crazy!!!!! Baby JPerkins's Avatar
    Name
    Josh
    Thanks

Oh... I almost forgot.... Welcome to TF!
    Phillipians 4:13 - "I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me."

http://www.perkinstiels.webs.com

Name
    Susanne
    Thanks

OK, first off your not going to be able to do it with the albino. The albino is a lutino WF. A lutino is a different mutation than pied.

Here is what I posted on the other forum:

It will take time (2-3 yrs) and effort.

When I started breeding I had went from normals split to pied to nice heavy symetrical pieds to clear pieds...in 8 years. Clear and heavy pieds averaged 125 gr...thus I also built up size, quality, in addition to markings.

I'm not sure if you are looking for the easy route, or want to develope a nice line of your own.

The easy route is to seek out either a 100% clear pied, or a very symetrical and very heavy pied, of good substance, and good confirmation. Also seek out a normal grey that is not split to anything, especially not split to pied. Pair the pied and the normal together and hold back all babies. They will be split to the patern type of pied the pied parent was.

Now the hard part...the waiting...For the next generation seek out a nice symetrical lightly pied bird and pair it with the split to pied. It is important that the light pied be symetrical in order for this type of pattern to be better passed along. Keep your nicest sized babies, whether visual or split.

From here on out when breeding you should consistantly get nice pieds. Also try to breed more quality splits to pair with the nice visuals. Heavy pieds can rapidly go backwards in size and quality if too many gnerations of visual to visual are bred. Try to have every other generation a visual to a split.

In addition...
    The above works for any mutation. For example if you find a beautiful pearl pattern you like. The easist way to reproduce this is by pairing with a normal, NO splits, to the pearl. The split babies will be split to this specific pearl pattern. A side note, as to pieds bear in mind their patterns are random. It is going to take a couple of generations for consistant reproducting of desired patterns. Also the majority of nicely marked and clear poeds are males. If you get a hen, hold onto her, because they are leass common, and ususally not as heavy a pied, and often not symetrical. A nicely marked symetrical hen is easier to reproduce (once you have some, and again lock it in by breeding splits) pretty pieds than a male is.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thanks to see your responses.. The problem here is, here in India I wont get a symmetrical heavy pied easily.. Thats the reason I'm planning to breed on my own.. Anyways Its nice to know about such exp'd people..

I have another doubt about cockatiels supplements.. I use Multivitamin, Calcium supplements, Codliver oil along with other staple food..

Here is the list of supplements available in India..
    * Calcium - Ostovet and Ostopet
    * Multivitamin supplement - Vimeral, Virol, AtoZ

Can you please tell me what is the correct quantity of vitamin supplement, calcium supplement and cod liver oil and should they be given on a daily basis..

Birdlady Moulting Limpyduckling's Avatar
    Name
    Rosalie
    Thanks

Welcome to tailfeathers You have a beautiful bird. I have a cinnamon pied hen. Bread her with a gray pied and got mostly yellow with cinnamon. I have on with mostly cinnamon and yellow

Name
    Susanne
    Thanks

Vitamins and calcium and other supplements are going to be dependant on the rest of the diet. If you are using a pelleted diet or a vitamin enriched seed there should be no need to suppliment...especially with pellets. Excessive use of vitamins can contribute to a toxity, since the fats soluble vitamins (A, D, E, and K) are stored in the body in fatty tissue and the liver. Excess calcium can affect kidney function. Cod Liver oil can go rancid and this can cause problems.

The first thing you need to do is research the nutrient content of the base diet you are feeding your birds. It is very difficult to suggest how much or what supplements are needed without knowing this.

Name
    Gabriella
    Thanks

UGH! Wish I had read this earlier. I recently got a Whiteface Cinnamon pied male (saddleback - very symetrical marking) Looks like he is split to pearl as well. I paired him with a wf cinn pearl pied female. LOL! Darn it1 I really wanted to produce cockatiels like him. I guess I will just set him up with another femal next breeding cycle. LOL