where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Getting to know Fire

GCC Chewstick Brand New Egg GeckoPalette's Avatar
    Name
    Katie
    Thanks

Getting to know Fire

This is what I've learned about owning a parrot so far: he screams, he bites, he thinks he's my whole world (since I'm his), he destroys everything he can reach, and he's talented at throwing food. I've also learned he loves to fall asleep on his back in my hand, he's given me more affection than any other pet I've ever had, he whispers "Step up step up" (he says it "ep uh ep uh") when he's happy, and nothing is more entertaining than watching him play.

So... it's a healthy relationship full of the usual ups and downs. He's a beautiful, intelligent little troublemaker and life was much duller without him.

I do have a question on diet. I had him on the seed mix the breeder was feeding him but I've converted him to pellets. Right now he's eating Zupreem Avian Entrees; is this a good one to have him on? If there's something better, why is it and where can I get it? He also gets fresh fruit a few times a day (I share) and treats like pieces of cereal, oatmeal, millet, and nut butters.

And now photos! Here he is "helping" me work on developing my art portfolio:

And here he is invading the work itself:

--Katie and GCC Fire

Name
    Katie
    Thanks

Re: Getting to know Fire

Sorry, one more...

Do you think he's sleepy?
    --Katie and GCC Fire

Name
    Barb
    Thanks

Sounds like a good relationship with a bird! They can be such pests, but we love them! And I love your sketch, fantastic work.

As for the diet, zupreem is okay (like Rachel said) and you can also supplement in other good pellets to his diet as well. My bird gets both Zupreem and Harrisons, and I think he likes having a choice. Also, make sure that fruits aren't the only fresh produce he gets (veggies are much better for them). So add in sweet potato, carrots, fresh dark leafy greens, broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, and peas. Stay away from tomatoes, eggplant, and onions. Oh and don't forget to make birdie bread (lots of threads on it in the DIY section), it is a great way to get veggies in stubborn birds.

This is frequently debated here on TF, so take it with a grain of salt: but I don't feed seed to my conure at all. Conures are prone to fatty liver disease and just getting fat, and as per recommended by my vet I don't offer any seed freely. I do give him millet, flax, and seeds from fruits (like peppers) but it is always in something else. For example, I like to give mashed sweet potato and mix in millet. Also I give one nutriberry at bedtime. Seeds can be used for foraging activities, treats, and encouragement to eat other foods, but not just fed out of a bowl.

Name
    Christina
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Barb View Post
    Sounds like a good relationship with a bird! They can be such pests, but we love them! And I love your sketch, fantastic work.

As for the diet, zupreem is okay (like Rachel said) and you can also supplement in other good pellets to his diet as well. My bird gets both Zupreem and Harrisons, and I think he likes having a choice. Also, make sure that fruits aren't the only fresh produce he gets (veggies are much better for them). So add in sweet potato, carrots, fresh dark leafy greens, broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, and peas. Stay away from tomatoes, eggplant, and onions. Oh and don't forget to make birdie bread (lots of threads on it in the DIY section), it is a great way to get veggies in stubborn birds.

This is frequently debated here on TF, so take it with a grain of salt: but I don't feed seed to my conure at all. Conures are prone to fatty liver disease and just getting fat, and as per recommended by my vet I don't offer any seed freely. I do give him millet, flax, and seeds from fruits (like peppers) but it is always in something else. For example, I like to give mashed sweet potato and mix in millet. Also I give one nutriberry at bedtime. Seeds can be used for foraging activities, treats, and encouragement to eat other foods, but not just fed out of a bowl.
    Based on what I've read I think I'm on your side regarding seeds. As soon as I get Mango converted seeds will only be treats. Btw, I'm trying to get him on Zupreem Natural Diet.
    5 adorable budgies, 1 amazing sun conure!

Name
    Barb
    Thanks

No, I haven't ever tried any of the mixes. I have heard good things about that brand though. We just don't keep seed mixes in the house (other than the nutriberries). All the "seeds" D gets are from our Co-Op.
    I have thought about getting a small bag for sprouting...and other treats. But I just don't know if I would go through it fast enough.

A Pirate needing a Parrot Brand New Egg bookfoxx1987's Avatar
    Name
    Amanda
    Thanks

Great pictures of your bird! I particularly like the last one.

Name
    Katie
    Thanks

sunbirdx: I've heard good things about Harrison's before. I'll try to look into ordering some of that... wasn't that the brand some vets sell? I'm sure I've seen it somewhere before. And I've had him since around the middle of June. He was only around 10 weeks old then, so he's still a baby.

Barb: Is pumpkin an okay veggie? I use a lot of that in cooking and such (the unsweetened plain kind). Thanks for the birdie bread suggestion too, it sounds like a fun project. I'll also cut down on the millet I give him, since normally he has a spray available on top of his cage. Even with that he'll still chow down on the pellets in preference over seed treats though. I think it's because I would give him pieces of cereal on a plate on top of his cage, then when I converted him to pellets I just replaced the cereal treats with his new food on the plate. He must think it's the cereal I eat.
    --Katie and GCC Fire

Name
    Barb
    Thanks

Pumpkin is a great veggie, and you can serve it fresh or cooked. Also, if you cook it, you can mash it and use it as the base for bird bread.

Remove Ads