where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caiques??

Name
    nikki
    Thanks

Caiques??

Ive been to a breeder that breeds b&g macaws and gw macaws and Bh caiques. We went to originally look at the macaws as they are great birds but wanted to compare the 2. Anyways, while there i became smitten with 8 baby caiques, I babysat them for 15 mins and they are total clowns. They were surfing in my hair, playing on their backs, playing fetch etc. So now Im thinking of getting one next yr. I really wanted a blue crown conure but partner doesnt really like them cos of noise plus I couldnt find any babys for sale. I was going to get a Jardine but that fell through. So to me the caique is very similar to conures in playing, affection and they sleep in snuggle huts. Does anyone own any caiques as I would like to know which sex would be best and if there is anything I should know or to expect from them? thanks in advance x

Thanks

Re: Caiques??

boing...boing...boing...chomp....boing...boing...b oing

Spank me...I iz naughty!! Tailfeather Sir Peter of Canada's Avatar
    Name
    Peter
    Thanks

Ahhh..Caiques...lovely little face rippers...

Poicephalus Obsessed Found a Mate Shade's Avatar
    Name
    Natacha
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crouton View Post
    boing...boing...boing...chomp....boing...boing...b oing
    Are you thinking of Picassa?

Caiques..haven't own one but have been around some.
    High strung with energy. I think they are possibly more playful than a conure..more like a lory. The need someone very active to be able to keep up with them.

Name
    Shannon
    Thanks

Caiques can be pretty loud. I talked to Briana about noise factor because I still rent. If your honey doesn't like Blue Crowns because of noise, I doubt he would like a Caique either. I spoke with my vet about them and he recommended a White Bellied over a Black Headed. He says that from his experience, they bite less.

They are my dream birds, but with chronic fatigue, I doubt I could keep up with one!

Name
    nikki
    Thanks

I can keep up with their energy! plus I will have loads of toys plus harness train him so he can go outside too. Should I pm Barefoot aviary and ask her?

Poicephalus Obsessed Found a Mate Shade's Avatar
    Name
    Natacha
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevinik View Post
    I can keep up with their energy! plus I will have loads of toys plus harness train him so he can go outside too. Should I pm Barefoot aviary and ask her?
    Yes. She has 3 of them I believe so from this board, she is definitively the best person to talk to you about Caiques.

Name
    jake
    Thanks

All I really know about them is that they can be hyper and sometimes neurotic. lol

R.I.P Nikko.

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

They are GREAT birds. But, they are a handful. I've known many of them and almost all of them could still fly (and really well) after being clipped. They are a crazy hyper bird that wants to be playing all the time. If you do get one, make sure you get a giant cage for it. They need room to move around at all times.

Name
    nikki
    Thanks

Check to the cage! I will also get something built outside the cage so he can hang and play on etc. I was handling some baby caiques and they let you hold em on their backs and they didnt mind when i touched em under the wings, I was rolling a toy and they chase it and get it . The way they play on their backs is so sweet, they seem so relaxed and not nervy birds.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

Where abouts in Lincs are you Nikki?
    only reason i ask is coz of a great bird rescue centre/zoo type place in Leicestershire. Asides from it being a really great day out the keepers are incredibly knowledgeable and, among their other rescues, they have an awful lot of caiques. (might tell you something about the adult versions lol)

But half a dozen of them are always out and about wandering around the park for you to interact with. You might get a better feel for them as adults that way. But the ones i met are totally bonkers. utterly mad lol but i can understand why you like them. They are gorgeous, funny little birds. But i doubt i could handle the destruction. Have a look at their play area in the free flight zone if you get a chance to go and you'll see what i mean.

http://tropicalbirdland.co.uk/

PS Say Hi to Dixie for us... she's a mostly blind B&G macaw who dances and sings nursery rhymes for walnuts!

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Name
    nikki
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pixibubbles View Post
    Where abouts in Lincs are you Nikki?
    only reason i ask is coz of a great bird rescue centre/zoo type place in Leicestershire. Asides from it being a really great day out the keepers are incredibly knowledgeable and, among their other rescues, they have an awful lot of caiques. (might tell you something about the adult versions lol)

But half a dozen of them are always out and about wandering around the park for you to interact with. You might get a better feel for them as adults that way. But the ones i met are totally bonkers. utterly mad lol but i can understand why you like them. They are gorgeous, funny little birds. But i doubt i could handle the destruction. Have a look at their play area in the free flight zone if you get a chance to go and you'll see what i mean.

http://tropicalbirdland.co.uk/

PS Say Hi to Dixie for us... she's a mostly blind B&G macaw who dances and sings nursery rhymes for walnuts!
    Yeah its about 1 1/2 hrs away, will go there very soon, I have been to a rescue sanctuary near me, actually go a couple of times every yr. Im always asking questions. They said I need to be firm with caiques etc. I just love all parrots and wish I lived in a huge house with loads of money so I could have my own parrot place lol!

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

i know what you mean
    every time i go to the stafford bird shows they have these HUGE aviary panels you can build to size with. i keep thinking i dont use the dining table very often and would love to replace it with a huuuuuuuuuge aviary. ya know... just half the living room lol

I want a bird room... and then i'd build an aviary on the side of the house and just let the birds hop in and out the window. I've got it all planned. Half aviary, half room, big comfy couch for me, lots of plants for the fids, and the whole place a big wet room so no cleaning... just put the birds out and hose down the whole room

not that i've been thinking about it or anything lol

Have fun at birdy land x And watch out for the female half plucked caique. She acts all sweet and cute but has a taste for FINGERS lol Actually on second thoughts maybe you should go poke her. It would be a good way to judge how bad the bites are and whether you can put up with them on a semi regular basis. Ditto to the flock calling. I thought conures were bad... nothing on these 6!

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Amorous Tailfeather
    Thanks

Pretty much what everyone else already said. Really, really high strung. They need a few hours of playtime outside the cage every single day. They need huge cages and lots of toys. I think they're adorable but they are too much work for me!!

World Ruler in the making Chick Edd's Avatar
    Name
    Edward Wong
    Thanks

Hey Nikki, this wouldn't happen to be a breeder in south lincolnshire, Boston? Guy called dave? his wife breeds caiques and there were some B&G macaws too, he was the person I got Jambo from. From what I've heard they are trouble makers, loud and need lots of attention, big cage, and mainly TIME, and if you don't give them enough; they go mental, ie: feather chewing -> self mutilation in other words a bad can of worms; but thats a worst case scenario it will probably just be screaming.

I have to look at this tropicalbirdland place, cousins live in leicestershire only 45 minutes from me beats Becks Bird Barn (6 hours) lol