Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I long to hear the pitter-patter of little opposable feet...

...Over the rainbow Growing... Kalvin's Avatar
    Name
    Kalvin
    Thanks

Re: I long to hear the pitter-patter of little opposable fee

Congrats on finding a decent breeder!

The price can vary from place to place, each person charging as they want. The most likely reason I see for her charging the same as a pet store rather than breeder prices is that she wants the birds to go to good homes, by charging more the less dedicated person will be put off.

TBH if you're sure she seems fine, the birds are healthy and it's overall a good nursery she's running, then I wouldn't worry.

Geaux Tigers!!! Tailfeather NeapolitanSixth's Avatar
    Name
    Nikki
    Thanks

I long to hear the pitter-patter of little opposable feet...

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am currently on the hunt for a green cheek conure. I don't plan on getting one for a couple more months, but I think I found a good breeder!
    I called around today during my lunch break, and she seems like the nicest person with the most experience. She even warned me against buying a green cheek if I wanted a calm, quiet, small bird because they can be quite rambunctious, so it seems like she wants her babies to go to good homes. The perfect thing is, she has a clutch that has just hatched 3 weeks ago, and by the time they will be ready to go, I will be ready to have one.
    She's also offered to keep somewhat of a photo journal of my chick for me, should I buy one. This way, I can watch his or her development as he/she grows! I'm so excited about this breeder and this new baby, but there is one catch...she lives in Pittsburgh, and I am in Virginia. When I go to pick up the bird, I will be in my apartment and 6.5 hours away, as opposed to the 3.5 I am when I am at home. I think it's worth it though, just to get a sound bird. One thing though--many breeders sell green cheeks for about $100 less than pet stores do, because they are the wholesalers, so to speak. This woman is selling hers for the same price a pet store would, but it includes sexing. Is this normal?

Thanks

Like was mentioned, each place charges differently, whether you buy from a breeder or a petstore. Generally, breeders do end up charging less--but that's not always the case. Some include their time in with that final expense. UNLESS of course, she DNA tested them. If she's just visually sexing them, then most likely she's charging what she wants too...but if she had the birds DNA tested, then it's very possible that's why the price is similiar to the petstore.

Name
    Nikki
    Thanks

She'll be DNA testing them at the vet's...she told me that I'd have to wait a couple weeks for that. She has her eye on a couple that she thinks could be male, so I think she's actually kind of taking a gamble because I told her I wanted a little boy. (I really don't know why, but all of my animals have always been female aside from my bettas)
    The price will be exactly the same as a petstore ($250) with the DNA testing, so it's actually a little bit cheaper.
    I guess right now the biggest thing I worry about is how Sophie's going to take this. This is why I'm glad I'm taking a month or two to make sure I'm going to do this.

Hatching
    Name
    Allison
    Thanks

Well. In my case I was lucky. My budgie Pumpkin was my first bird. I was worried about her being jealous of Sophie my new pionus. However, Pumpkin loved Sophie and didn't take hr moving in harshly. She enjoyed not being the only bird.

Name
    Nikki
    Thanks

You have a bird named Sophie too! I love Pionus Parrots. I've always wanted one, but they're a bit too pricey for me. What is she like?
    Anyway, new news--I found another breeder who is MUCH closer to me, so depending on pricing, I think I am going to go with her! She does pictures and sends weekly e-mails, and says that she socializes them well with people and children. Also...I got a new cage! It came with stand and everything. Only $80, and they gave me free shipping! I got it off e-bay, and I think it is a pretty good size. 24x16x53. I actually called an avian vet to make sure that that was good enough for a green cheek conure. I'm so excited!

Thanks

Oh Nikki!! How exciting!! When you get pictures, you'll have to post them for us!!

Pick out names yet?

Name
    Nikki
    Thanks

I have a few picked out...many boy names, but so far only two girl names! If anyone else has any other suggestions (I'm going towards the more tomboy name route when it comes to conure girls), I'm happy to take them...

Boy:
    Chester
    Chaucer
    Schubert
    Prokofiev
    Pistachio
    Papageno

Girl:
    Scout
    Papagena

I think I'm going to write the names on a slip of paper, stick them in a hat, and let the bird pick one out. hehe.
    BTW-Papageno and Papagena are bird people in Mozart's opera Die Zauberflote...two of my favorite opera characters.

Name
    Nikki
    Thanks

I DID IT!!!!

I DID IT!!! I called the lady in virginia, who seems super nice (she's only around 30 or so, so she still has a lot of goofiness in her yet) and I'm sending in my deposit this afternoon! She has a clutch of 3 chicks right now, and is going to pull them this weekend. I won't lie to you though....I feel badly that I'm helping contribute to this "pulling". The parents can't like that too much.
    At any rate, I'm going to visit them in August, and I promise that I will post pictures as she sends them to me. I trust this woman because she kind of grilled me on birds and wanted to know my history. She was also telling me that people would come in and want to buy her macaws, but she wouldn't let them have the macaws if she thought they didn't know what they were getting themselves into. If only petstores ran this way.....

Thanks

Re: I DID IT!!!!

Yay Nikki!! Congrats on your upcoming addition!! The breeder sounds wonderful. I can't wait to see pictures. How exciting!

Name
    Nikki
    Thanks

Thanks! I'd still like everyone's input on n ames.
    Heeyyyyy....If I threw a "bird shower", would everyone send me toys and supplies?
    hehe...

Rent this space today! Baby DevinBre's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol! believe it or not, i would!

Thanks

But i dont know what you'd do with 3119 toys lol.

Name
    Nikki
    Thanks

With a cockatiel obsessed with climbing and chewing EVERYTHING, and a conure with a stronger beak, I'm sure I could find a use. btw, I like your site, Devin!

Thanks

thnx! , lol a conure would be a lot stronger than my budgie skyler, who devoured a cuttle bone (and half the shell ) in 5 days!, so i took it out and replaced it with a mineral block shaped like an apple. the first 5 hours he had it, the stem was gone....lol. At my local petstore the have a whole rack of this certain type of toy, the ones that are made out of transparent plastic ment for birds with strong beaks, like Macaws. Those would probably last (well at least i hope they would, or u might want a refund lol, jk)

Remove Ads