Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

too much cuddle bone?

Ok the smallest of the budgies has eaten a whole cuddle bone in 4 days. she has 2 mineral blocks and she has ben doing a number on them too. What could be making her suddenly go threw a cuddle bones and mineral blocks? The other 2 budiges are eating diet and they bearly touch there meneral blocks and cuddle bones. Whats going on with my little bird?

Toby the tiel Adult teddibear381's Avatar
    Name
    Erica
    Thanks

Re: too much cuddle bone?

Probably she's getting ready to lay an egg of two. My females do the same thing. I have 3 females and 1 male in my cage. If she does lay eggs and you do have males and you dont want any babies... shake the eggs or boil them or replace them with plastics.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

luckaly i have a house full of girls so any eggs that happen wont make babies. I hope it is just her getting nestie and nothing more serious.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I dont mean to scare you but thought I needed to tell you that first sign that my lovie had Avian gastric yeast was him devouring his cuttlebone and mineral blocks. I dont know what girl birds do before egg laying but I do know the first sign of boomers illness was him eating these.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

return to real life Tailfeather
    Thanks

She is going to lay. Every female bird I have ever had did this before getting ready to lay. When I was breeding in an aviary, I was going through 5 or 6 cuttlebones a week! It is great that she is eating so much, it will likely help her have healthy, firm eggs that are easier to pass.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

i am realy worried that if she is going to lay that she is going to get egg bound. She is tiny. my other budgies weight in at 32 and 36 grams and this tiny little girl weight in at 22 grams. She is a good 2 in shorter than the others too. She is not thin, she is just tiny.

SO you can see why i am worried. starting ASAP she is getting more baths, more night night time, no shread toys or other possable nesting matterals. I hope its not to late to stop her from possably laying.

Name
    di
    Thanks

I could be very wrong but I have also read that a lot of calcium is not absorbed by birds unless they have access to sunlight or broad spectrum lighting which provide the nutrients to absorb it.

Thanks

if she is gobbling cuttlebone, it is way too late. They start mass consuming cuttlebone when they are forming the shells on their eggs. I would just carefully watch her. Her small size might affect her, but then again, it may not. Canaries have been bred down in size with no serious increase in egg binding.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

good to know. All the birds get several hours of light during the day from my window but i will set everyone out side for a few hours each day its prity enough. The sunshine and vitiamins makes total sence to me. Humans have to have sunshine to produce vitiamin D which aids in the absorbshion of calcium and cloting of blood. So why would this be any differnt for animals.

Name
    di
    Thanks

For a long time I thought that was enough too. Now they go out a few times a week with me. Sometimes less and I have to stay with them, cats, butcher birds. Such a hardship sitting in the sun/shade with a book and a coffee while they choose between sun or shade. I find it "time to smell the roses" time and it is so soothing. I have a small table and 2 chairs on the veranda. They go on the table which I move a bit so there is both sun and shade or a towel is over some of the cage.
    Last edited by di_dee1; 08-27-2009 at 06:40 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

its Hurricane season in Fl so it rains a lot. so when its not raining the birds and i are just going to have to spend some time out side. How sad i am about that I can only hope i can stop her with just one egg.

Name
    Kerry
    Thanks

Is she REALLY eating the cuttle bone or having a good time chewing up/making a mess? I have hens that sometimes find it great fun to chew it up/make a mess. If I take it way for a few weeks, leaving them the mineral blocks it seems to break this small problem.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I have checked the bottem of the cage and around the cage and there is some chewed up but not enough to make up the total cuddle bone. I have watched her and after she gets a mouth /beak full she chews it up. Her poo has just a tiney bit lighter green than normal. but not enought to cause alarm knowing that she has been majorly chowing down on a white cuddle bown. her urates are good, and her poo is a good consistancey too. She has ben active like always and i have not noticed a egg bum. I have been on the look out for any oddly large poo, or fermer or runnery than normal poo as well as activitiy changes and an egg bum. How could this happen to me. I can only hope that this little ones egg laying does not set off the rest of my birds. I dont need 4 birds laying

Name
    Kerry
    Thanks

Then keep her supplied if there is more cuttle bone IN her not at the bottom of the cage.

Thanks

Yup, make sure she has plenty of cuttle bone available!

If you are really worried about laying, I would suggest changing your light routine and perhaps switching to some pellets (I am not actually sure what you feed) since they are lower in fat, and birds like to have a rich, fatty diet to induce them to lay.