Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

psychotielgirl

what should I do with quail eggs

So I wound up with 5 Bobwhite Quail hatching eggs, but I can't decide if it's more responsible to dispose of them in some humane way so as not to contribute to hunting and such, or to incubate and then sell them to a reputable store- still possibly adding to all that stuff I'm so opposed to.

Or I could raise and release them, but we live directly accross the river from St. Louis, MO (of course our sub- division is called quail run- no joke!) and I'm not sure where I stand on that either.

I'm not able to care for game birds due to space indoors, and while I know my neighbor would love to keep them outside, I'm pretty sure it's against the rules here to build outside animal enclosures.

any suggestions?
    can someone tell me where I stand?

...Over the rainbow Growing... Kalvin's Avatar
    Name
    Kalvin
    Thanks

Re: what should I do with quail eggs

It's up to you whether to incubate them or not, if you do you could try to find a person with an aviary that is able to take them.

I'm not sure where you stand on releasing them, it's not usually legal but since they're native I don't know.

I would just dispose of the eggs, since they don't start developing until incubation begins. To dispose of them just crack them into a bin, or boil them and use them for your birds to eat.

psychotielgirl

I just can't do it. I can't bring myself to just get rid of them.

I keep turning it over and over in my mind and I can't seem to physically bring myself to it.

Then again, I used to love eating eggs, but once I started breeding and caring for birds they suddenly grossed me out. It was almost a year before my lips touched (obvious) egg- fried, scrambled, whatever.

anyway, I'm still completely undecided, so I'm hoping maybe you can answer a few specific questions for me? Then I can make my decision and do my research from there. thank you thank you thank you!

1 How long do chicks have to be brooded?
    2 can 1-5 chicks be brooded in a 10- gallon aquarium?
    3 what do the chicks eat?
    4 can they be tamed?
    5 If kept in an 8x8x7 outdoor aviary with shelters, would it be possible to still use the aviary for the parrots at the same time (a few hours a day in the late spring and summer)? If so, how? If not, why?

Name
    Kalvin
    Thanks

I've never incubated bobwhite eggs before, but will try to answer tyour question the best I can.

1 How long do chicks have to be brooded?
    Most quail need to be in a brooder for anything from 4 weeks plus depending on their rate of development, the temperature can be dropped by a few degrees as each week passes until they are room temperature.

2 can 1-5 chicks be brooded in a 10- gallon aquarium?
    Maybe for a short time but bobwhites are big birds and will soon outgrow it and need to be moved elsewhere.

3 what do the chicks eat?
    Start them off on chick (starter) crumble, most pet food supply stores should be able to get it for you if they don't stock it. You can use a commercial dry eggfod, both will need to be ground down fine into a powder so they can eat it easily.

4 can they be tamed?
    When hatched in an incubator they see you as their parent so do tend to be tame if you spend time with them (like any bird).

5 If kept in an 8x8x7 outdoor aviary with shelters, would it be possible to still use the aviary for the parrots at the same time (a few hours a day in the late spring and summer)? If so, how? If not, why?
    Because bobwhites are bigger they should be fine with parrots, I've known people keep japanese quail with larger conures with no problems. Just place their food and water bowl on the floor so they have their own.

At most you'll probably only have 3 or 4 eggs hatch if they're kept properly before incubating. They should be kept somewhere below 16C but above 10C and should be turned once a day while they're being stored. After 7 days the fertility of them reduces quite a bit so they shouldn't be kept for any longer if you want to hatch them.

psychotielgirl

Thank you soooooooo much.

You've been more helpful than you can imagine. I discussed them with the landlord and he is fine with me keeping them in an aviary outside as long as it "doesn't get out of control"

He knows that I brred other birds and that I take excellent care of all of our other animals so he's ok with it as long as it's kept as clean as is possible- and I get the ok from all the neighbors since they will have to look at it too.

If they can be mixed with the other birds for short periods though- that definately simplifies things!

I think we're going to give it a try.
    I do have a backup home for them just in case though. My great-uncle and aunt have a farm where they raise chickens and such. They said they would be happy to have them if I can't handle them.
    They keep them all as pets- no selling for food.

Thanks again!

Name
    Kalvin
    Thanks

Good luck with it

psychotielgirl

Thanks.

We're hoping for at least 1 or 2 since I'm not sure about how the eggs were kept before they got here.

Thanks again for your help!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    jo
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kalvin View Post
    Good luck with it
    Hello there... what a coincidence. I live in Bournemouth too and have just ordered an incubator. I left my two quail with a friend over Xmas. They felt sorry for them and brought them inside and the female has laid 3 eggs, 3 days in succession. I've kept them in my coat pocket, unsure what to do with them. Am not sure if they're fertilised or not. But, am going to give it a go when the order arrives (hopefully tomorrow).