Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: BAD Nita and Rudy

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

Angry BAD Nita and Rudy

Nita and Rudy are having some major issues. When Rudy and Nigel first came here, it was very obvious that Rudy was in charge. When we added Nita, they all got along great and dealt with each other fine. As Nita was injured when I got her, she/he fell into place with Nigel and became subordinate to Rudy. Things were well.

Since she's (I swear to you, these birds still go back and forth in cere color!) been better, she's really decided to challenge. They bicker constantly, which fine, it's a keet thing. However, it almost always ends in one of them being picked at so much that they either fall or hop off of the perch and landing on the grate. I have a system of perches so elaborate in that cage in hopes that they will learn to glide onto another perch rather than simply be thrown to the bottom.

It's escalating. Over the weekend, I had to remove Nita from the cage for a few hours when she attacked Rudy, knocked him off a perch, jumped on top of him and continued to attack him. I put her back and all was well.

I really would prefer not to separate them as that would mean one bird would have to stay in the small cage. I clean the cage twice a week and move things around once a week. They have foraging toys and swinging bowls and get veggies every day. I also have multiple food sources so that if one is being kept from the main bowl, they will have other opportunities to eat in peace. Of course, all four somehow manage to eat from one smaller dish at the same time. Which, in turn, causes more fights.

What to do, what to do... I don't want to separate them. I will if I have too, but I'm hoping that there are other ways to work it out. I'm thinking Nita may very well be a hen and that might contribute. They are hitting birdy puberty. They are hormonal and I know that is normal. I just don't want any episodes like the other day to happen again. A little bickering here and there is one thing. Her attack on Rudy is not good. Not good at all.

Anyway, ideas? Please.

I'm A budgieaholic Tailfeather kathy5's Avatar
    Name
    kathy
    Thanks

Re: BAD Nita and Rudy

how many of each sex do you have? the rule is you should have more boys than girls cause they help keep the peace hope things work out well for you & your flock
    my helpfull birdy page

kathy's facebook page

please give clicks to help my number go up

Name
    di
    Thanks

If it does not calm down you may have to separate for safety.

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

I don't know what I have. These birds are ridiculous. I know for sure Quito is a boy as he's an adult. I'm pretty sure the others are boys too but they are still changing back and forth. It seems that at their age they should be considerably further along than this. Nita and Rudy both have a little white sometimes and other times don't.