Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Budgie sick with mucus in crop

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Bobby
    Thanks

Budgie sick with mucus in crop

My 5 year old male budgie started vomiting about a 2 months ago. We took him to an avian vet who kept him incubated and tube fed him until he started eating seeds again. He was diagnosed with a bacteria infection and put on Baytril antibiotics for 2 weeks (after being x-rayed and crop and poop sample). He seemed to be recovered but his poops never actually looked the same as before his illness - they were a bit more runny even after the antibiotics. About a month after the antibiotics were finished he started vomiting again. This time the vet did a charcoal rinse (fed him charcoal in hopes of ridding his stomach of any possible toxins) and Cemetidine (an anti-nausia liquid which he threw up so we stopped giving it to him) . He continued to throw up inconsistently - he went some days without throwing up and somedays he would throw up. We took him to the vet again and she did another x-ray to make sure nothing was caught (she could not see anything caught in his system from the x-ray) and did another crop and poop sample to check for bacteria - this time she offered us the option to send it to a lab to find out exactly what type of bacteria or yeast it could be (I wish she had told us we could do this the first time he was ill however. . .) in the meantime waiting for the results she put him on Cefa-drops another type of antibiotic. He was very sick on the Cefa-drops and vomited quite a bit during the treatment. The lab results came back clean- he did not have an overgrowth of bacteria this time.
    At this point we are at a loss of what to do with him. He seems to have a lot of mucus in his crop - the Vet suggested trying to give him Cemetidine to see if it helps him this time and then to bring him in again for yet another bacteria test. She said he could have something like fabric caught in one of his lower stomachs that caused a bacteria infection and might explain why he can only eat a little at a time or he might have a kidney or liver infection both of which there isn't much we can do to treat him because he is such a small bird. The past week he has barely eaten and seems to have a mucus build up in his crop. He sleeps most of the time and tries to eat a little bit. He seems to bring up some mucus and then swallow it again. Today we gave him some Cimetidine and he immediately threw it up along with some mucus which led us to believe his crop is full of mucus. I trusted my avian vet but now I don't know if I should put my budgie through the stress of seeing another vet for a 2nd opinion - does anyone have any suggestions of an avian vet in Los Angeles- or if there is really nothing else we can do for him except another bacteria test etc etc. Please let me know if anyone has any advice - I'm desperate to help him! Thank you!!

toby's mommy Maturing... budgiebudgie's Avatar
    Name
    mae
    Thanks

Re: Budgie sick with mucus in crop

hi bobby - just wanted you to know that your post hasn't gone unnoticed...i'm trying to find out more for you, and i'm sure some of the other members on here will have some input, too, shortly. how is your little budgie doing today?? also, have you ever tried apple cider vinegar diluted in water? my mom's budgie Yukon had some sort of crop stasis, possibly infected, and in addition to a round of baytril prescribed by the avian vet at Long Beach Animal Hospital (I think that is the name), I was doing the vinegar in her water and also directly with syringe drops. whenever I think she might be starting to throw up again, I put a little of the apple cider vinegar in her water for that day. this was recommended to me by people associated with the bird shop i frequent. seemed to help a lot.

- mae

2011 Anti-Budgie Poo-Flinging/Eating Campaign
    (I love all kinds of birdies!)

MY BUDGIES// DUCK-BUTTS //VIDEOS OF MY BUDGIES
    * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Bobby
    Thanks

Thanks very much for your reply Mae! Its very nice to know there are people who understand! Our little budgie is still hanging in there - he's sleeping a lot and eating very little. He's very skinny. He hasn't thrown up today except for when we tried to give him Cemetidine this morning - then he vomitted mucus. I haven't tried Apple Cider Vinegar yet but it sounds beneficial and I will look into getting him some for his water.

Name
    mae
    Thanks

Hi Bobby -

Back with more.

I think if you are concerned that your budgie should be re-evaluated, then going to another vet is a good idea.

You can get Apple Cider Vinegar at the grocery store where the regular vinegar is.

Mix 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar plus one gallon bottled or filtered water and give for 10-14 days.

The vet that comes highly recommended to me is Tom Greek.

www.tomgreek.com

I've not had to go to him yet, but everyone I've talked to loves him, and people will drive between LA and OC to go to him. I'm not exactly sure which city he is in at the moment. He was operating out of other vet's clinics because he had such a wide distribution of where his patients were located...

Hope your budgie continues to be ok and gets better.

- Mae

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Bobby
    Thanks

Thanks so much! I got some Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar to give him. I hope this helps him. Someone also suggested Amphtericin B as a precaution against Megabacteria - they said megabacteria is difficult to diagnose (he tested negaive for Trich and Megabacteria) and there are no negative effects to taking the Amphtericin B. . . have you heard about this? Thanks for Dr. Greek's website - he sounds good - a bit more then an hour away from me. Thanks for the good wishes - he's eating some millet now which is good that he's eating something! He's slept most of today but hanging in there! Take care!

Name
    mae
    Thanks

some additional points and questions:

• you should refrigerate that water - apparently a lot of birds like the cold water.
    • there is something called emeraid for sick birds that helps re-hydrate them. you can buy it from a vet. it is mixed it with water.
    • what type of seed does your budgie eat? non-colored pelleted food, like roudybush might be more digestable for him...
    • does anyone in the house smoke (cigarettes)? Nicotine residue on fingers and clothes are highly irritating to the bird.
    • does the cage get covered at night? If yes, is the cover being washed in scented laundry soap or with scented dryer sheets? These are way too irritating for birds, so one must use unscented detergents, etc.
    • has the bird been tested for lead AND zinc poisoning? these are two separate tests, but they require a lot of blood; not sure if you want to do that, so would have to consider heavily before going forth with such tests...

again...hope the poor thing is doing better...

fyi: i've gotten most of the info i've passed on here from Fran, the owner of Exotic Birds by Fran in Cypress, California, my favorite bird shop. her establishment is awesome, and so is she. :-)
    Last edited by budgiebudgie; 09-02-2009 at 09:46 PM. Reason: giving credit ;-)

Name
    mae
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BDazla View Post
    Thanks so much! I got some Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar to give him. I hope this helps him. Someone also suggested Amphtericin B as a precaution against Megabacteria - they said megabacteria is difficult to diagnose (he tested negaive for Trich and Megabacteria) and there are no negative effects to taking the Amphtericin B. . . have you heard about this? Thanks for Dr. Greek's website - he sounds good - a bit more then an hour away from me. Thanks for the good wishes - he's eating some millet now which is good that he's eating something! He's slept most of today but hanging in there! Take care!
    hmm...i don't know much about amphotericin B for birds. What I do know is that in humans, it is very very hard on the liver and is used as an antifungal for systemic fungal disease and given IV...

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Bobby
    Thanks

Thanks for your additional points - I will definitely look into those!
    Roudy bush sounds good. The seed he's been eating is Vita Vittles. I also mix in Harrison's bird mash (he's a bit picky about that) and Avi-cakes which I crumble in -also I have Dr. Harvey's organic seed. I had to try new things when he first got sick. He was X-rayed and the vet mentioned looking for metal particles and lead however she didn't find any. She did mention doing a blood test for liver and kidney disease but he's so skinny right now I don't think I want to put him through that. He does get covered at night but I try to air out the sheets and my husband smokes but he's only allowed to do that outside and not allowed near our bird after! =) I'll have to do some more investigating about the Amphtericin B. We are going to try the Cider tomorrow and also thinking of trying Bene-Bac (supplement with good bacteria). Thanks for your input on everything! We really appreciate it! He was eating a bit more tonight - the poor baby was sleeping most of the day today so I'm glad he ate this evening!! Hope all your birdies are healthy and happy! =)

Name
    mae
    Thanks

Glad he is resting. Keep us posted on how he does ok? Take care.

- mae

Name
    di
    Thanks

Hi there. I totally endorse using apple cider vinegar. Brewers yeast from health food shops is choc full of, I think B vitamins and is beneficial sprinkled on food for birds, animals and humans.

Who needs T.V with an aviary? Egg's Cracking... LiLRebelWW's Avatar
    Name
    Gina
    Thanks

I'm glad that they tested for Trich and Megabacteria which both cause the mucus like you described. Does he have it from the nostrils too? Or just the mouth?

I have had run ins with megabacteria with my flock. Amp B is pretty hard on the liver, but some people swear that it is the only thing that works. However, my birds with megabacteria have made full recovery on a medicine called Terbinafine--I think it is rather new. So...for a anti-yeast med you may want to try that.

Keep us posted. I hope he starts feeling better.
    11 lil' budgies sitting in a tree....and RIP my little angels: Synth, Tre, Ion and Cinque.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Bobby
    Thanks

He's not doing very well today. . . ugh. . . He tried some Apple Cider Vinegar in water but he didn't like it- I put it in a separate dish from his normal water so he won't get dehydrated - he tried to look for food to eat but I don't think he really ate anything. . . he's sleeping with his head tucked under now. He doesn't seem to be "chewing" on mucus today. . .it was only in his mouth before not his nose - clear and sticky. Our poor baby -I don't want him to suffer but I grasp onto some hope that he will get better. He's been hanging on for so long. I will keep you guys posted - thanks for all your kind thoughts and advice.

Name
    mae
    Thanks

aw poor thing. i've been in similar positions. it is hard to know what to do sometimes. i don't think it would be a bad idea to consult with Dr. Greek or another avian vet, just in case there is something else going on...

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Bobby
    Thanks

I just emailed Dr. Greek and he emailed me back very quickly with a very thoughtful response saying it sounds like we have done all the right things to try to help our budgie. What a nice man to email me back considering I'm not his client and he praised our vet for doing a good job. I'm very upset that there is little more we can do except wait and see, but relieved to get a 2nd opinion. Thank you so much for recommending Dr. Greek!

Name
    mae
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BDazla View Post
    I just emailed Dr. Greek and he emailed me back very quickly with a very thoughtful response saying it sounds like we have done all the right things to try to help our budgie. What a nice man to email me back considering I'm not his client and he praised our vet for doing a good job. I'm very upset that there is little more we can do except wait and see, but relieved to get a 2nd opinion. Thank you so much for recommending Dr. Greek!
    aw...you're welcome. glad you heard back from him. i will keep my fingers crossed for your budgie. what is his name...did i miss that somewhere?

- mae