Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Food not passing (Updated 14 Sept, 1:15PM)

Hatched!
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Food not passing (Updated 14 Sept, 1:15PM)

Susanne, or anyone with any ideas that might help.

The little Rambo Jr isn't passing it's food. It's not sour-crop, what's in it's crop is very soft and mushy feeling. I've given it a little warm water with some apple cider vinegar to see if that would help but it seems like the same amount of fomula that was there this morning is still in there. I'm wondering if it swallowed a shaving and that's blocking the food from passing. I'm not positive but I think I can see something dark in it's crop. It's so hard to tell because the little thing just won't be still. Every time I think I feel something, the baby moves and I lose it. The vet is closed until Monday, I tried calling them to see if I could take it to them. Does anybody have any ideas???
    Last edited by NavetG8r; 09-14-2009 at 11:18 AM.

Name
    Susanne
    Thanks

Re: Food not passing

GO to any large petship that has supplies and suppliments for all animals and dogs. Ask for Prozyme. This will also help if you suspect there is a foreign object like bedding in the crop.

First you are going to have to empty the crop...do you know how? If not any other local breeder to show you how. You do not what to add any old food on top of this food or it will compound the problem.

No vinegar, when dealing with sour slow crop it can impair the crop tissue from shrinking, and can sometimes contribute to an atonic crop...meaning the muscles are weak and can't contract.

OK...with an empty crop, you will mix the formula a normal thickness and add just a little Prozyme (if you can't/don't have that crush a papaya tablet or mash some real Papaya). The prozyme will thin down the formula, so don't thicken back up.

I also included a collage of my spice remedy. I have had good success with this, so a little of it can be added to each feeding. First feeding is going to be 1/2 of what you normally feed. This is more to see if the crop empties and how long.

as to the dark spot on the bottom of the crop...if it is fixed in one spot and appears like a bruise it is no cause for panic. If it a bruise from the weight of the crop contents while the chick layed down or was sleeping directly on the crop. it will fade away in a week or two.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Name
    Susanne
    Thanks

Sorry for the large pix... PLAN B...if you need a shoulder, call me: 754-242-6376 (i'll be gone from 5-9PM)

Also Please post some pox's...front and side. When you download your pix, if you can crop them that would be good. When cropping a pix it cuts away the distracting background and focuses on the object or the pix

Name
    Susanne
    Thanks

This is for just in case info...

One other thing...while I am thinking of it. From now on make sure the little one empties completely between each feeding. Digestion is going to start slow, but it will gradually start speeding up. If still slow you may have to empty the crop each time. Prior to emptying the crop, carefully feed a 1/4-1/2cc of Baking powder mixed with water. This will help with the PH balance in the crop.

Once the crop is emptying for the next few days prior to each feeding, and if digestion is rather slow....you can take some of the Prozyme or a pinch of the crushed Papaya tablet and mix it with a small omount of warm water and feed the baby a few drops...wait 10 mins, then feed the formula.

Name
    Susanne
    Thanks

One last thing...also if you have probiotics add some to each feeding. Or plain yogurt will do too.

Good luck ((((HUGS))))

Hatched!
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Ok, I got the crop empty, all except the wood shaving that won't come out. No matter what I tried it just won't come up to the throat so I can try to manipulate it to come out. Looks like all I can do is try to keep this baby alive until Monday and get it to the vet.

Name
    Crystal
    Thanks

I am so sorry I can't offer any help in getting the little piece of shaving out. I hope all goes well for you and the little guy. My thoughts are with you.

Name
    Susanne
    Thanks

Bill...oh boy, the first time empying a crop can be nerve racking. I bet you were fine while doing it and shook like a leaf afterwards.

OK...do you know anyone that works at a Hospital? Or even a sympathetic pharmacist? Or a private nurse, or know of anyone that works in a nursing home? Just an idea...but if you can find a catheter as shown below, a piece can be attached on the end of the syringe, and inserted down the right side of the throat and used to suck the wood chip right out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Bill ... keeping you and the little guy in my prayers that he'll get through this little bump in the road!! Good luck with this
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Flutter Farm Aviary
    "Happy Tiels From Our Nest to Yours"

Hatched!
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by srtiels View Post
    Bill...oh boy, the first time empying a crop can be nerve racking. I bet you were fine while doing it and shook like a leaf afterwards.

OK...do you know anyone that works at a Hospital? Or even a sympathetic pharmacist? Or a private nurse, or know of anyone that works in a nursing home? Just an idea...but if you can find a catheter as shown below, a piece can be attached on the end of the syringe, and inserted down the right side of the throat and used to suck the wood chip right out.
    I don't know anyone like that, and even if I did, I don't think it would work. The piece of shaving is BIG! I don't know how the little thing swallowed it in the first place.
    It also seems to be "attached" to the crop somehow....I can move it around a little, but it won't go far and it goes right back to where it was.

He's getting weaker and weaker, I'm not sure he's going to make it through the night.

Cockatiel Crazy!!!!! Baby JPerkins's Avatar
    Name
    Josh
    Thanks

Bill... I'm sooo sorry. I wish I knew some way to help you. But, I hope things get better! Keep us updated.
    Phillipians 4:13 - "I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me."

http://www.perkinstiels.webs.com

Birdlady Moulting Limpyduckling's Avatar
    Name
    Rosalie
    Thanks

he is in my prayers

Toby the tiel Adult teddibear381's Avatar
    Name
    Erica
    Thanks

ok this sounds a little strange but it might work. you could try giving him a little warm water that might soften the shaving and then try to remove it. otherwise keep him warm. I'll keep him in my prayers and keep us updated.

Name
    Susanne
    Thanks

Bill, you have the little fella have been in my thoughts.

I hope he has started even a little digestion. If not then he is now in total GI stasis. If you can't get to your vet, right now any vet will do, if they have the know how to give Sub-Q fluids. At this point Sub-Q fluid therapy may be the only option.

A vegular vet, or an animal rehabber or wildlife Care Center may be open on Sunday.

OK what the fluid therapy will do is to hydrate the baby and get fluids into the GI tract. It may take 2-3 rounds...meaning injected fluids again an hour later after the 1st round, etc...before you start to see bowel movement. At first any droppings will be black and tarry...this has to be moved out of the body. You then know the fluid therapy is working because the baby is pooping. There is no need for food in the crop as long as the baby is getting fluid therapy. If you can find someone, I can suggest amounts and frequencies, and injection sites.

Grrr...you and the little one has come so far to be taken down by a piece of bedding.

Hatched!
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Re: Food not passing (Udated 02 Aug, 1:15PM)

Ok, here's the update on Peppi (affectionately called Rambo Jr).

I found an emergency vet hospital in Greensboro and after taking care of my mother this morning who gave me a fright, and getting her sister to come over and sit with her while I took the baby to the hospital, I headed out with Peppi.

Obviously since Peppi had passed no food since midnight Friday night, it was quite dehydrated and just not itself at all. The doctor found the aspen chip and removed it and gave it some stuff to help coat it's crop and soothe it, then gave it a little bit of water. After a while it was obvious the water was passing slowly but surely, so she told me to go ahead and bring Peppi home and begin as if he was day 1 again.

So....we're home, and I will begin feeding little Peppi about 1-2 CCs at a time when it's crop is completely empty and only very very thin (mostly water) feedings for at least a full 24 hours before trying to thicken it up again.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. We aren't out of the woods yet. The doctor said she considers Peppi still critical because it's so dehydrated, but thinks with proper care and attention it will pull through assuming no other pieces of aspen shavings are further into it's digestive tract. It has passed a nice looking stool on the way home with even a little urate in it so that's a promising sign.