Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cage? Saw a cinnamon green cheek yesterday

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Michael
    Thanks

Cage? Saw a cinnamon green cheek yesterday

Well, while picking up dog food yesterday, I stopped by a PetSmart and did my usual stopping by to look at birds and fish. Saw an real cute cinnamon green cheek about 6 weeks past weaning. Very active little thing, just wanted to get through the glass and play. Was doing any number of things to show off, then started doing tumbles off the food dish winding up on its back. If you drew a circle on the glass with your finger it would do it over and over again. Kept trying to reach my finger with its foot through the glass.

Anyhow, I'm interested in rescuing the bird from the store (actually this store has pretty healthy looking birds) and was wondering if this cage is appropriate?

http://http://www.birdscomfort.com/f...bird_cage.html

I was also looking at one about 24x24 with a playtop, but about $100 more expensive.

Bow chicka wow wow! I... Found a Mate Breadpazoid's Avatar
    Name
    Jillybean
    Thanks

Re: Cage? Saw a cinnamon green cheek yesterday

Yep, that is the HQ flight (check www.mybirdcage.com - that's the manufacturer's site, they might give you a cheaper price since shipping is included). It's a very popular cage, and in fact, it's Ducky's cage.

I'm very happy with it. I don't use the included plastic feeder, but the cage itself is of good construction, solid, and better IMHO than the other cages in its price range. I like the double doors and the breeder doors actually help you to reach the back if you are putting toys on the cage by yourself. I keep them closed otherwise.

I should add that the cage is super easy to clean. The grate on the bottom pulls out. Ducky's never figured out how to slide it herself, nor do I think she would be strong enough to do so, but a zip tie is a quick fix if that ever occurs.

The bird sounds like a cutie! Keep us updated!

Mom to Ducky! (female cinnamon GCC)...THANK YOU Keet for the gorgeous sig!!
    Won't you come see me after 12am?

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

The HQ flight cage is great! It would make a wonderful cage for a GCC. Good luck with the new baby if you get it.

However, if you're buying a bird from a store, you really shouldn't claim to be rescuing it. Sorry, but as the owner of several rescued animals and a pet store employee, that bugs me a lot.

Name
    jake
    Thanks

I second everything above regarding the cage. I have the HQ flight cage for my budgie and my cockatiel and I LOVE it. It is the BEST cage in the world. Like bread said it is super easy to clean, and huge. The double doors are great and the breeder doors help position things and help to get a nervous bird that flees to the back of the cage out. If I ever get another small bird I will be buying another HQ (or possible the double). It would make a wonderful cage for a green cheek.

R.I.P Nikko.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Michael
    Thanks

Thanks all for the thumbs up! Trying to talk my wife into letting me pick it up this weekend for my birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by RoughCollies View Post
    However, if you're buying a bird from a store, you really shouldn't claim to be rescuing it. Sorry, but as the owner of several rescued animals and a pet store employee, that bugs me a lot.
    Sorry about that. Saw it a coupel times on here, didn't mean to offend. Actually getting it from this store wouldn't be rescuing it at all since the live pets at this PetSmart all seem well cared for. Must have a caring staff.

Hmm, how does Nutmeg sound as a name for a cinnamon green cheek?. Use both those spices when I make French toast.

Name
    jake
    Thanks

Sounds like a good name to me.

R.I.P Nikko.

Perpetually learning... Hatching
    Name
    Russell
    Thanks

Nope, you're not getting cheaper than that. I did extensive research, that is the dirt cheapest price. And the guy that runs the site is really nice as well.

So yeah... besides being cute... how much do you know about green cheeks? Do you have any other birds? Prepared to quarantine for a month from the rest of your flock? Sounds like you're on the right path... just make sure to do your research before bringing it home!
    --Russell
    I am a very blunt & honest person; I don't sugar coat things. If I offend you please feel free to PM me; I am always willing to work out any issues.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Michael
    Thanks

Actually not so sure it is a cinnamon now, it's not a normal green cheek and it looks lightly cinnamon colored, but it's darn cute anyhow. Went back to look at it again today.

Name
    Ashley
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mkandolf View Post
    Actually not so sure it is a cinnamon now, it's not a normal green cheek and it looks lightly cinnamon colored, but it's darn cute anyhow. Went back to look at it again today.
    it might be a yellow sided.

Do you have birds now? or have you ever had them, or is this your first bird? GCC's tend to get really nippy at some point in their life and you have to be able to work through it.

If this is your first bird try here for starters on research:
    http://www.avianweb.com/greencheekconure.html

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

Green Cheeks are NOT the easiest little birds. They are always cute and lovable at first, but be prepared for their issues. They can be nasty, aggressive, biting little birds. They tend to be clingy and want to always be touching the one person they attach to. That one person might be the only person that gets near them, ever.

That said, there are always exceptions. I'd just be pretty careful about getting a GCC. Make sure you study them up a lot. Do your research. They are great birds in the right home.

As for some people mentioning rescuing from a pet store, it does happen. I've seen birds and other animals in terrible conditions in a pet store before. Absolutely deplorable conditions. That's a rescue. Good or even decent conditions and it's simply not a rescue situation.

Don't forget to look at breeders as well. I know sometimes you just fall in love with that one bird, but you can save a huge amount of money with a breeder.

This is a Cinnamon GCC. (Rosco)

Yellow Sided (Tango)

And normal (Amigo)

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

They can be nasty, aggressive, biting little birds.
    Green cheeks really can end up terrible. I had no idea about that when I got mine, but he's such a jerk to me. He rarely will step up onto my hand from his cage, only a perch and even then only sometimes. He bites everyone, and it is a really painful bite.

He does have his sweet moments, but there are times that are just really hard with him.

And, yes, he was sweet and awesome as a baby, he's just gotten worse and worse. I love him, but I would never suggest that someone get one!

8keets Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Mike and Kim
    Thanks

We love our gcc's. Bella was a scb and was very nasty to me at first. I had to take control of the situation. When I held her perching on my finger and she bit and drew blood I dropped her to the carpeted floor. It took only 3 times and she has never bitten me again. She loves me now. I can hold her any way I choose. I can kiss her , she is tame and comes to me when I want her to.
    Everyone has their favorite bird. Ours are conures. They are like no other. Major lap birds!

Name
    Jillybean
    Thanks

*Insert long dissertation of my GCC experience here*

Ducky is about 13 months old yet, so while I have seen bits and pieces of her adult self I can't honestly say she's in full fledged adulthood yet.

She still loves me dearly, I am "her person," although she also loves my sweetie, sort of likes my mom (depends on the day), and is still getting to know my housemates. She looooves to cuddle, and yeah, she uses her mouth to communicate a lot, but either I'm thick skinned or she's almost always pretty gentle.

I can lay her on her back in my hand and kiss and raspberry in her tummy, I can get her to lift her wings for me, and I can rub her feet with little to no protest. She loves a good head-scratching but does very occasionally get squabbly about it. Many birds get crabby when they are molting and have pinfeathers though, so this is nothing to be concerned about.

But yes, there are times where she knows I am coming to get her to step up and she will just hunker back and NOT want to come to me (even though my shoulder is her favorite place; she went through a bratty stage where she was almost impossible to remove from my shoulder once I put her there, but after a lot of limited shoulder time and enforcing of the rules, I think it's resolving! Phew!). Yes, this means that sometimes she will bite. Very rarely does she bite very hard, but she makes the piggy "I don't wanna!!!" squeal and tries her darnedest to say "NO!!!"

I always win. But I give her a ton of praise after she complies as well.

She has never given me a problem about staying in her cage while I am out for the day at school or work. This may not be the case for all GCCs. Toys are very important for these birds - LOTS of them - they are busy little things! Ducky's cage is packed and she finds a way to use all of them.

I don't know if this is true of all GCCs, but she responds very enthusiastically if I am very animated. I have had a lot of time with her lately and she loves it when I get really excited, talk to her in a high pitched voice (almost mimicking the parrot noises she herself makes), et cetera. I make sure to do this a couple times a day, whether to have an excited "toxic waltz" session (as Keet puts it) where I get her to lunge back and forth crazy-fast in this weird poofed-up GCC dance, or whether to invite her for a fit of cuddles, or whether just to play with her and make noise. She likes it when I sing or babble really fast to her - she will poof up and stretch as far in various directions as she can, interjecting that with zigzag dances and singalong chirps. It's a GCC dance, I suppose. LOL

Speaking of play, GCC are very capable of learning games. We have a game where I will make a noise (say, the "beep" noise she knows) and then poke her side. She will repeat the noise. She gets lavishly praised if she "beeps" right as I touch her, which she has picked up enthusiastically. She also raspberries this way too. It makes for a great party trick.

She seems to take sadistic pleasure in waking me up every morning now that we've moved, and settled into the same room together. She's near the window, I'm all the way on the other side of the room, but I swear she WATCHES me in the morning. If she sees me start to move or otherwise give a signal that I might be soon to wake up, she will start going through her entire repertoire of sounds - talking, beeping, kissing, screeching, whatever she can do to get a reaction. It is like she is saying "Mom! Mom! Get up already! I'm booored! Look, the sun's already up! Stop being lazy!" (Note that this is usually around 7am...)

She is fearless around other animals (this is not necessarily a good thing, lol) but is afraid if I move large boxes close to her cage or if I am handling objects that are certain colors. The main one that I can think of is purple. She seems to have a real fear of anything purple. She will do her "jungle call" so loud your ears will ring. There are ways I can get her to calm down about it, but if I get her to accept the object in question one day, then go to use it the next, she will often freak out all over again. Ahhh, birds.

Overall - I am so insane about this amazing little creature. She is the light of my life if an animal can ever be. This bird is like my feathered child: endearing and mischievous; rebellious, yet needing. I know that someday, she may not be as cuddly or loving as she is now, but I am prepared to deal with it if that happens, and I am content for now to simply hope that I will never have to cross that bridge! She brings so much joy and companionship to all of my days.

I do have to point out that every bird is an individual (and reinforce what I said earlier - I CANNOT claim that Ducky is a fully adult bird - we'll talk after she turns 2, LOL) - and I probably would not say that GCCs are for a novice or particularly meek bird owner, as they do require firmness at times. But by far, by far, Ducky has left permanent zygodactylous little footprints on my heart. She was definitely a perfect fit for me and I am so thankful to have her.

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

Rosco was like that for me, too, Jill. She was GREAT for me once I knew how to work with her better. But, the minute Jake walked in the door it was all out the window. I'd just rather someone be prepared for the worst and work towards the best.

Name
    Jillybean
    Thanks

Oh yeah, I'm not trying to discredit anyone's story at all! I'm sorry if it came off that way!

It's very possible that if there are negative stimuli in the environment, if the bird feels threatened, et cetera, they can become totally different. Rosco is the extreme example, but after all, her fear was very much justified, sadly.

Ducky does have a flight response out of fear of new objects - not toys but things of my own that I am handling she doesn't recognize. In fact, she just fluttered away from me when I picked up my clipboard.

She is shy around strangers. Even my mom, who she usually likes, she will shy away from if my mom approaches her wrong. She has the potential to be a little PITA if she wants to. But isn't that true of everyone?

Remove Ads