Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

The Fanatical Eriwinkle Baby Erin CG's Avatar
    Thanks

How I made my plexiglass cage

I am posting this per a request from another user:

How I made my acrylic bird cage:

I went to a home improvement store and bought four sheets of plexiglass, 5/8 inch blunt-ended screws, one sheet of plywood, a long corner wood piece, and a window screen. Estimated cost of materials: $60

Check out the pictures first to see how it is made, as I'm not very good at explaining:
    Side view of the enclosure

Picture with the screen off

Cut the long corner wood piece into four pieces, each as long as a side of plexiglass. Line the wood edge up with a piece of plexiglass, and screw about 6 holes. It is easiest to drill through both the wood and the plexiglass at the same time, although you have to drill very slowly and carefully, or the plexiglass will crack. It's a good idea to have a couple extra pieces of plexiglass on hand. Make sure to mark which side of the wood goes with which side of plexiglass (numbering the sides works best.) Continue until all four pieces have been drilled through. Then set them up and put the screws through, add a nut on the other side of the screw, and tighten. The plexiglass box can be set on the plywood, and the window screen goes over the top.

I use bird-safe aspen wood shavings to on the bottom of the enclosure. Make sure whatever bedding you get is approved for birds! To clean, simply lift up the plexiglass cube, and sweep the bedding into the garbage. You need to clean the cage fairly often, as it's not healthy for a bird to be walking around in its own droppings. I clean the cage every couple days. I periodically spray the plexiglass with water and wipe it clean. Make sure the screws stay tight. You could definitly add a plexiglass divoder to the middle of the cage to make it safe for two different kinds of birds. Just make sure the divider fits securely. If you have a pet like a dog or cat, or small children, elevate the enclosure to a table-top, and make sure to keep it somewhere it won't get bumped. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Name
    Jake
    Thanks

Re: How I made my plexiglass cage

Looks awesome.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kimberly
    Thanks

Okay, I know this thread was started a LONNNNNNGGGGG time ago, but I would love to see these pictures and for some reason, I can't. If there is a way to see it, please tell me....or if anyone else has made a plexiglass cage...I would love to see pics!

Name
    Esther
    San Juan De Alicante, Valenciana, Spain, Spain
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Feafur View Post
    Okay, I know this thread was started a LONNNNNNGGGGG time ago, but I would love to see these pictures and for some reason, I can't. If there is a way to see it, please tell me....or if anyone else has made a plexiglass cage...I would love to see pics!
    I agree...2003 is a loooong time ago, but this cage seems like a great idea. Please, can someone post a pic, or tell us where to find it?

Name
    Esther
    San Juan De Alicante, Valenciana, Spain, Spain
    Thanks

Lightbulb Re: How I made my plexiglass cage

Since this thread is so old, and I don't know if OP is still around..(plus I am kind of impatient) I searched for acrylic birdcage on google. I found these guys: http://www.kingsolomoncages.com/default.asp and now I am looking for a piece of apropriate furniture in the newspaper and second hand shops.
    (shipping to Spain would be murder, and I can get the thing for about 60-100€)

I am looking for something like this:

I would take it apart, hand strip the inside of any trace of varnish, remove the top and change it to wire mesh for ventilation, use a nice poster scene for the back and cover it with plexiglass, and some trays to pick up the poo.
    Add plenty of ladders, nets, toys and voilą! A perfect bird home!!!

It's going to take a lot of searching, maybe a couple of months until I find the right piece, but I will keep you posted

What do you think??? Ideas??? Suggestions???
    Last edited by esther110; 05-01-2011 at 01:12 AM.

Kalimotxo (American Cinnamon *Female), Tequila Sunrise (Lutino *Female),
    Whisky Sour (*Male) Bourbon Cola (*Male)

Words of true wisdom:

"but again, I'm not an expert breeder Just an expert guesser!" Konkata

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

My cage is not 100% plexiglas. I made one with full-length sliding plexiglas doors. The rest of the cage is made of aluminum angle moulding frame that I riveted together and covered with 1/2" by 1/2" aviary cloth.

I had it framed with decorative moulding but took it off. I built it about 12 years ago for my finches. It now houses 2 baby sparrows. It's great for larger birds and other animals as well. Once I temporarily housed an iguana that needed to be rehomed. Very easy to accomodate whatever toys, perches, feed dishes, resting platforms or whatever you want to put in it.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Justin
    Thanks

Pat, that is pretty much awesome! I want to make something like that!!!

Thank you for sharing... I will be looking up those materials.
    -Justin & Windsor