Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Bird-Safe Cookware

Name
    Christina
    Thanks

Question Bird-Safe Cookware

I'm moving into a studio house soon and so the kitchen is essentially the same as the living area. I know I can't use my mom's teflon coated pans obviously, but what are good kinds of pans and things to use? Are stainless steel or cast iron good? My mom also has these pans from Germany which are not coated with anything but I don't know what there are and I want to know if I can maybe take them as well. (Why I'm taking the stuff is a long story.)
    5 adorable budgies, 1 amazing sun conure!

Perpetually learning... Hatching
    Name
    Russell
    Thanks

Re: Bird-Safe Cookware

Everyone hates my answer to this, but this is what I feel. It depends on the skill level of a cook you are.

Personally, I am a rather skilled cook, and I have teflon pots. Why is this safe? They don't boil dry. Ever. I also don't brown meat in these pots. Ever.

For frying pans, I have a chef pan that is made by Tramontana with the PTFE/PFOA free non stick coating. I got it at walmart for $30 on clearance (I think they're about $50). It's okay, but it kinda sucks.

For an egg pan, I have a sandcoat PTFE/PFOA free non stick pan from JC Penny's. It cost about $20. Works great.

So why do I not use Teflon pans or brown meat in teflon pots, but use teflon bakeware and pots? Simple. Teflon starts to outgas and has been documented to provide toxic to birds around 320 deg f (if the bird is right there), even though it's highly toxic (as in the other room) around 480. If you're browning meat, it's most likely your pan will get to this temperature.

I have cake pans that are teflon coated and never put the oven over 350.

Everything else I have is glass for bakeware.

Stainless steel is good. Cast iron is very good, but you have to learn how to cook differently on it, and it's a little bit of a learning curve.

Is the German company you're talking about called Magna Lite? That's what I have... Cast Aluminum non coated (have to be seasoned). However, there is some research that shows aluminum cookware can cause Alzheimer's. However, the same has been linked to aluminum soda cans.
    --Russell
    I am a very blunt & honest person; I don't sugar coat things. If I offend you please feel free to PM me; I am always willing to work out any issues.

Name
    Ashley
    Thanks

I'm sure as long as its not coated you'll be fine.
    stainless, cast iron, aluminum, etc all good. I really like the revere ware pans. I like heavy aluminum for stove top and a lighter aluminum for baking. either way if you have trouble with non-coated just watch your temp you cook at, you dont have to cook on HIGH all the time. just slow it down a little.

Amorous Tailfeather
    Thanks

I love cast iron, but it definitely does take a different style of cooking. We have a gas stove though, so that makes it a bit easier to control the heat.

Stainless steel works too, but I personally prefer cast iron.

Name
    Barb
    Thanks

I personally love my stainless steel pots. I actually bought them 10 years ago because they were pretty, but since then I have really grown to love them for much more than that. They cook up things great, I have learned how to make things not stick in them, and they still look great! Plus, mine have a copper bottom, which transfers heat evenly and it makes cooking nice and even.

Moderator Tailfeather Community Moderator notredamebird's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

Teflon is a terrible cooking surface for just about everything except eggs, on top of being dangerous to birds.

I'd get some nice, stainless steel pans -- no coating of any kind. They last forever and they are not much hard to clean than teflon-lined pans and require no special care.

If you are inclined toward cleaning and maintaining cast iron, those are wonderful too -- probably better. They heat more evenly.

They're expensive, but my I have a few coated cast iron pieces from Le Crueset. I love them. The only thing to know ahead of time on is that the enamel coating will discolor as you use the pans --- that's normal, but it weirds out some people.
    Atrus---Wesley---Tolkien
    Catherine---Lúthien---Elwing---Tipti

Amorous Tailfeather
    Thanks

Ooo good link, Danielle! I'm thinking about getting Vinnie a big skillet for christmas since he loves to cook.

Poicephalus Obsessed Found a Mate Shade's Avatar
    Name
    Natacha
    Thanks

I use stainless and cast iron.
    LOVE the cast iron.

Moderator Tailfeather Community Moderator notredamebird's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by McDenny View Post
    Ooo good link, Danielle! I'm thinking about getting Vinnie a big skillet for christmas since he loves to cook.
    Oh, definitely go for it. They're really sweet pans. I use my skillet all the time for breakfast food. They're beautiful, heavy, easy to clean, and they heat very evenly.

The dutch ovens are very handy also, especially if you make lots of roasts and stews.
    Atrus---Wesley---Tolkien
    Catherine---Lúthien---Elwing---Tipti

Name
    Christina
    Thanks

Thanks everyone! Sorry I've been really busy and haven't replied yet. I got some uncoated pans (I think aluminum) and one cast iron. They are so expensive! College budget doesn't leave so much room for extras, so I couldn't get a stainless steel set. I've got hodge-podge but thanks to your advice, I'm sure it's all safe. It sticks so much easier though. I need to fix that one pan... >_<
    5 adorable budgies, 1 amazing sun conure!

Remove Ads