Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

DEB789

HOW TO MAKE PERCH TOWER

WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF ANYBODY KNOWS HOW TO MAKE THEIR OWN PERCH TOWERS FOR BIRDS. I SEE IN THE PET STORES AND VERY EXPENSIVE. DEBBIE. YOU CAN EMAIL ME WITH THE INSTUCTIONS AT wvrtoj@swbell.net

Your friendly admin! Tailfeather Community Administrator Dan's Avatar
    Name
    Daniel
    Thanks

Re: HOW TO MAKE PERCH TOWER

If anyone would like to post instructions or anything too, that'd be great...thanks.

nikolaos00

Re: HOW TO MAKE PERCH TOWER (long)

My husband and I made some simple ones for our cockatiels out of dowel rods and rounds.
    We got the long dowel rods (several different diameters) and what they called "rounds" (they were in the same section of the hardware store) They only come in a few different sizes, and will be used for the base, so for larger birds, you probably just want to buy the big thick pieces of wood and cut them (or have them cut) down to the size you want. VERY IMPORTANT: keep in mind that the actual perches will have to be shorter than the base is wide or the weight of the bird will tip it over.

Find the center of the base (trace it onto paper, cut out templete, fold into 1/4 and snip the pointed end. You can then unfold the paper and lay it on the base to mark the center) and drill it out slightly smaller than the diameter of one of the thicker dowels, and knock the dowel in- or screw in from bottom. Slowly drill holes through or partially through the large dowel rods to accomadate the smaller ones.
    Before assembling, cut smaller dowels to various lengths to be used as perches(they MUST NOT stick out over the base or your bird WILL fall over, the thick ones will need enough holes for the number of perches you want. When deciding on dowel sizes, keep these things in mind:
    1:The perch diameter must be 1/2 that of the pole, too big and you won't be able to drill the hole
    2:If you're not very experienced with a drill, you may want to find someone who is (like my husband)or you can waste a lot of money on lumber
    3:any screws must not contain zinc or lead
    4:get perches big enough, or small enough for your bird

I'm pretty sleepy so i know this is confused, so if anyone has questions, I can email more detailed directions, i just have to find them again

nikolaos00@yahoo.com

CrazyMary

here's my bird perch

birdperch

This is the one I made out of natural branches from pear trees and some apple. The two bigger ones are just from oak. The female just bit the heck out of me..I had her out for a few minutes..she's laying...I know..I'm not suppose to have her out. Yeap i learned from this..my finger hurts very bad. But anyway..she loves the perchs..Sandy, he climbs all over it but usually sits at the very top lol

Ippiki Ranch

Re: here's my bird perch

We're working on building play areas etc for our tiels and thought I'd pass this on. In one book i read, it recommends going to a hardware store like Home Depot and going to the kitchen section. They cut large pieces out of the counter tops for sinks, and they often throw away the cut out piece. If you can get one, it'd make a great base since it'd be very easy to clean, and since it doesn't absorb like wood, it won't harbor bacteria as well.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

i got a gym for my birdies, i got 8 and they love it, i just made it out of ucaliptus tree branches and tied them with wool , i used a shoe box for my base lol and i add toys and stuff and every week i put a freesh branch of ucaliptus leaves on a branch when i get a pic ill try posting it but for now, my camera is brocken

Name
    Melody
    Thanks

This is mine:

Name
    Joseph
    Thanks

My favorite source is either Eucalyptus or Olive branches. Get a sturdy base and start gluin' and screwin' next thing you know great birdy tower. The PVC and dowel is a great one too!