Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Angel got stuck!

Name
    Brittany
    Thanks

Angel got stuck!

Boy did we have a scare today. Earlier today i told my sister to check on Angel to make sure she was still on her cage and wasn't getting into trouble and she said "yeah she's fine. she's hanging off the top of the cage" which is something she likes to do so i said OK.Well when we went in there to feed them i went to Angel's cage and she was still hanging from the top of the cage and i figured she was just playing but after a few minutes she wasn't making any noise and she didn't move from that spot so i stuck my head in her cage and seen she had her beak stuck in one of those quick lock things that you hang toys from. She chewed the toy so much that all that was left was a chain and the lock. She chewed the little piece that you turn to screw the lock together so it doesn't come undone and got the bottom piece stuck through the bottom of her beak and i could see it sticking through her mouth. I was so scared she was going to rip her beak off.I wrapped her up in a towel and held her as close to the bars as i could as my sister tried to get it undone. I felt so bad for her because she was just sitting there crying, it must have hurt. It took us a few seconds but once my sister got the lock off of the bars it fell out of her mouth. She freaked out for a little bit but i cuddled her and calmed her down. She drank some water but she hasn't eaten yet, which worries me. Another thing that worries me is she let me check her beak and rub her head and pretty much do whatever i wanted to her. I looked at her beak and i didn't see any bleeding, i didn't even see a hole where the lock went through. If she is still acting like this tomorrow i'm taking her to the vet. She is acting so scared, she's not herself. She backed away at first when i just went to go check on her but she stepped up for me. I gave her a sunflower seed but she just held it in her mouth and eventually dropped it. I feel so bad for my baby. I gave her some head rubs and her crest went up and she closed her eyes so hopefully she was just spooked. I just hope she isn't in any pain. Is it normal for something to be able to go through the bottom of their beak or did she puncture it? I hope it's nothing serious.
    ♥I Miss My Fids♥

Previously Tikigurl

Poicephalus Obsessed Found a Mate Shade's Avatar
    Name
    Natacha
    Thanks

Re: Angel got stuck!

It was probably not punctured.
    There is actually a hole at the junction of the lower mandible of the beak and where it attaches to the head. It's more obvious on some birds than others.

I have also found Piper hanging by a toy which has got stuck through that hole. She seems a bit fussy once I released her but was otherwise fine.

Good thing you guys caught on it early though.

Name
    Liz
    Thanks

Poor girl. All parrots have a hole under their lower beak. It's like a semi-circle with the beak reaching the skull on the edges. I'll see if I can get a picture of Lofty's later. She's always turning her head upside down for scritches. I've heard of larger parrots getting baby links caught through the gap too. I hope she gets over her fright quickly!

Feathers and Forage - New Post - 08/02/10 - Cat balls and Corn Cobs

Name
    Brittany
    Thanks

Well that's a relief. I thought they had a hole there but i wasn't sure. I was just so scared because she was flipping around at first and it just looked so painful. But i did check it and it just looks a little sore. I've never seen this bird so scared though, she's my little firecracker. And the fact that i was able to put her head back and check her whole beak over worried me because normally i would have gotten bit.
    ♥I Miss My Fids♥

Previously Tikigurl

Name
    Tracie
    Thanks

[IMG][/IMG]

Not a great example but if you look right in the middle of the bottom (where the beak meets the feayhers) You can see there is a seperation....its like a halfmoon...the ends are conected but the middle isn't...my guess is this is what happened to your Angel. My guess is she is more spooked then hurt....keep your eyes on her and maybe give her some extra cuddles! If your worried, it never hurts to see a vet just in case. Keep us posted.

Name
    Brittany
    Thanks

Yeah while i was checking her beak i couldn't see through the hole but i could see where she got it stuck because it was a little red. She's been getting tons of head scratches and cuddles. I've been checking on her every few minutes lol.
    ♥I Miss My Fids♥

Previously Tikigurl

First Baby Hatched! parrotsRmyLove's Avatar
    Name
    Sue
    Thanks

How scary!! I would never have thought they could get stuck on one of those. I am so glad Angel is OK!

Amorous Tailfeather
    Thanks

Yeah I doubt it got punctured. And if it did, you'd notice blood probably and much more pain in Angel.

What a scary event though! I'm glad she seems okay.

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

Wow, I'm glad she was okay.

I didn't know that the area under the lower beak had a hole. I knew the beak didn't connect, since I scritch milo there sometimes, but never knew that something could actually get through!

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

it cant usually
    I;m so glad you were there to unhook her

Are there any nice soft foods she likes that you could offer?
    Maybe some egg or nice cool rice? She probably feels a bit bruised, and lets be honest, sunflower seeds have sharp ends!

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Name
    Brittany
    Thanks

Yeah the only reason she got stuck was because she chewed off the little screw on thing. She has such a strong beak and she loves to chew things she isn't supposed to. I didn't think it could go all the way through either and it scared the crap out of me when i seen it sticking through her mouth.
    She is still a little spooked and has been sitting in the same spot for a while. I'm just worried about her eating. Hopefully by tomorrow she'll be her normal crazy self again, but if she isn't i'm going to take her to the vet just to be safe.

Edit:: Eggs are a good idea, she LOVES eggs. I didn't even think about that. I'll go make her some now.

Edit again:: The eggs did the trick. But it definitely looks like her beak is sore. She is having a bit of a hard time climbing around in her cage because she mostly uses her beak so i helped her to her treat bowl, put some eggs in there, and she is slowly eating them. Thanks for the idea Helen .
    Last edited by ♥Brittany; 10-12-2009 at 01:18 PM.
    ♥I Miss My Fids♥

Previously Tikigurl

Name
    Tracie
    Thanks

Glad to hear she is eating! I'm sure she will be fine!

Name
    Brittany
    Thanks

Well it may take a little longer for her to bounce back than i thought. She is acting as if she is scared of me, like i did it to her. I can understand though i guess. She doesn't really understand that i was the one who helped her. She ate most of the eggs but i don't think she has touched any of her other food. She was sitting on her sleeping perch when i went in there this morning so i put her on her favorite perch and she's been there all day. The only noise she makes is her scared noise, which is a much quieter version of her jungle call, and it's a little different. I've heard noises that sound like they could be her but it could also be Mosey since she's in the bird room now. I tried to get her to step up but she just went to go bite me then ran away. I think her beak is still sore. I'm not sure if i should just wait it out and hope she bounces back or if i should take her to a vet. I think taking her to a vet would just stress her even more because she hates going in the carrier and she's a very sensitive bird and my vet isn't very gentle with birds.
    Ugh i feel so bad for her
    ♥I Miss My Fids♥

Previously Tikigurl

Remove Ads