where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: First Time Lovebird Owner

Steven Brand New Egg
    Name
    Steven
    Thanks

First Time Lovebird Owner

Hello guys im expecting my first 2 lovebirds on friday. As I have never owned lovebirds before is there anything i need to watch out for, what i feed them, birdproofing my living room etc. ??
    Eventually i would like to breed them but not till i am used to keeping them as pets so any advice you have on nesting materials as most posts and information i have looked up on lovebirds has mentioned something off a palm tree and being from England,UK there arent many palm trees here.

Thanks in advance guys

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

Re: First Time Lovebird Owner

Do you know for certain, 100% that they arent related? And that they are a matched male/female pair? I agree that it's best to get to know them first... long before considering breeding.

Shame you didnt join last week. I'd have sent you to the Stafford bird show on Sunday Great deals there There's also a really good pet store over in Leicester called Midland Parrots. It's a little expensive, but almost everything bird related is in this country. Bob and Di are both really nice people, and great for ideas, support and advice. I think if you can get over there it is really worth a visit. What they will tell you about supplies, feeding, cleaning, foraging etc is amazing. Also read the sticky on the top of this forum. It's brilliantly written and says pretty much everything you need

As to nesting? eventually they'll use most things. You can buy palm leaf shredders and stuff.

Three sites you need to know as a uk owner.
    www.pine4parrots.co.uk Yvonne ROCKS. If you have any interest in making your own toys... read her site, call her and email her. What she doesnt know about toy safety isnt worth knowing IMO She used to do mostly big bird stuff, but has a few lovie customers, including Sammy who can be seen modelling a toy on there.

www.chinchillas2shop.co.uk really sweet, helpful people. now have a handy key to identify toys suitable for birds. Great for chewing things and supplies for your own toy making

thehayexperts.co.uk as above. good source of chewy things

Most important i think with new birds are finding a good avian vet. they get to know the bird when healthy and vice versa. Trust me, if your bird gets poorly this first half hour visit is INVALUABLE,
    Personally I've just switched over to Manor vets They have sites all over Birmingham although i go to edgebaston. Lucia is their exotics vet and she is sooo lovely and seems really knowledgable. She handles Sammy really well, and seems to genuinely care about your bird. Their hygiene seems second to none (reason i left me old surgery) they have good opening hours, seem inexpensive, and best... she does follow up consults over the phone to check in with the birds, and has no problem answering the qs you always forget to ask.

Also as you are talking 2 birds only, i would look at bird insurance. For about 45 a year and excess of 12 Sammy is covered for literally 1000's of vet fees, tests and procedures should i ever need it. I just hope i never do. But to put it into perspective a good vet bill that included consult, poop analysis and drugs is 22. 2 of them and insurance paid for. Plus i'd hate the thought that if something happened you would have to stop and think about whether it could be afforded. I;m with Golden Valley, although there are others about like exotics direct

Can i ask where these two are coming from? I dont know many local breeders is all.

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Steven Brand New Egg
    Name
    Steven
    Thanks

Thanks for the response. I am getting the birds from my cousins friend as she is giving birth soon and will no longer have enough room for the birds. She is not a breeder as such but has done it as a bit of a hobby i think. I've been assured they are not related as she has bred them before, which answeres your other question of are they male and female.
    Unfortunatley i don't drive so won't be able to make it to leicester which is a shame. Is there any good avian stores in the birmingham area that you know of ???
    As for insurance i think for such a low cost i'd be silly not to insure my birds, and as far as the vet goes io am only a 20 min bus ride away from Edgbaston so may sign them up to Manor Vets.

Steven Brand New Egg
    Name
    Steven
    Thanks

One thing i forgot to ask is, is it better to make your own toys or to buy from a store. I have read about people making toys from paper and putting a little treat inside. Im presuming making your own toys stimulates them more as its always something different to play with

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

i live in Coventry, so dont actually know any good stores in Birmingham I'm afraid.
    You'll have to hop down to Coventry on the train and catch a lift next time i head over to Leicester... there's this AMAZING bird park there- tropical bird land. A lot of the bigger birds are 'free flyers' and really friendly and you can feed them bags of fruit and nuts they sell. It's about time for a visit (what you think Lee?)

Personally i make a lot of my toys- and buy most supplies from those sites i gave you. But Sammy is a very interactive player. Unless he can slam it back and forth and smash it on the bars or tear it to pieces he isnt happy lol

It might be hard to stop these birds from breeding as they are a breeding pair. Are you not tempted to adopt some of the babies instead? you really are jumping in the deep end lol
    Is your cousin local? that way any breeding problems she can help with (i'm thinking hand feeding here) .

i dont really know much about breeding birds, although there are some great breeders here. mostly in the states, but still able to give advice x

Steven Brand New Egg
    Name
    Steven
    Thanks

Yes she is local about 10 mins away from me so the help will always be there. I have done alot of research into breeding, would rather wait for a while but i'm sure if it did come to it I could handle it. With my cousin and her friend living local i'm sure i could learn a thing or two from them. Would be nice for her to see her birds again so can't see there being any problem with her coming up and showing me how to hand-feed if needed. I work fairly long hours but my wife is also very interested in breeding them so she would be the main carer if there were to be any little chicks come along. That trip to Leicester would be good. One thing i was not too sure about is do you breed them all year round or just in spring time when it's their natural time to breed.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

I think all year, but not a lot of clutches. My breeder nearly always has babies, but he has an aviary of about 30 pairs. I think he said he only has about 2 clutches per year. not sure tho. Best to ask one of the breeders here

Just so you know. There is a rather horrible thread in the teil section at the moment where a poor hen had problems laying and ended up with a prolapsed womb. Maybe have a quick look. Just some people dont realise that breeding can bring major complications and put our fids lives at risk

obviously though as they have successfully reared before this is a lower chance

They also need a special diet when breeding i've heard, but then i am not a breeder and dont have any plans to be one soon.

Hatched!
    Name
    mask
    Thanks

Hi,

here's a nice shop you may want to visit, maybe it's close to you?

http://kingsheathpetcentre.co.uk/birds.htm

Don't offer them a nest or anything they may try and nest in, and nothing they can shred or tear up and use for nesting material. They shouldnt start nesting then. Keep an eye out for nesty behaviour, and prevent it before it takes hold. Prevent giving them paper or toys they can shred and make a nest from. If they do, and they are determined, they may start nesting in a food dish or at the bottom of the cage.

I breed all my birds in Autumn/Winter, actually around this time of year. The majority of breeders here do the same aswell. 2 clutches a year, no more.

If you decide to breed, you need to get the birds into breeding condition first. Both birds need to have had a moult (new feathers), you don't want the birds moulting whilst breeding. You may want to increase the protein foods and vitamin and mineral supplements a few weeks prior to breeding. I offer conditioning food and eggfood 3 weeks prior to breeding, aswell as dried insects like ant eggs and shrimps etc. If the birds don't get enough natural sunlight or don't hit the cuttlebone, I offer calcium supplements and vitamin supplements. I use calci-lux from oropharma, versele laga. I also offer omni-vit for breeders and muta-vit for moulting birds, both offer good levels of vitamin D3 and both are also from oropharma.

For nesting material, find a kind willow tree. The branches and leaves are awesome. Willow is natures apsrin, it has painkilling properties, it also has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits to name but a few. It holds moisture well (most are located near water) so it's perfect for allowing the parent birds to control the humidity in the nest. I cut off the branches I need then rinse them very well in as hot water as possible in the shower. I offer them in the bottom of the cage when they are still wet. The parents birds then use them as required, either wet or let them dry first.

You don't need to handfeed, the young can be handled daily from 10-14 days old if you wish to tame them. I've seen some stupidly tame birds that were raised this way. If you do wan't to handfeed, then there should be loads of info out there about it, but I only do it if I need to.

I would get yourself acquainted with the birds first though, let them settle into their new surroundings and go from there.
    Last edited by mask; 10-15-2009 at 05:15 PM.

Steven Brand New Egg
    Name
    Steven
    Thanks

Birds arrived to day, both look healthy and active. They are making a lot of noise so thats a good sign. Was a little dissapointed with the cage, nowhere to put a perch on top and only 2 perches stretching the width of the cage. Going to buy a few new toys and some millet and such today.
    My daughter is fascinated by them she is only 2 and thinks they are amazing, just need to see what my 2 other children think when they get home from school. Quick question what is best to put on base of the tray for catching droppings ??? At the moment there is sandpaper sheets but i think they can be harmful to the birds feet. Anyways when i can get some good piccies i will post them on the forum .

Steven Brand New Egg
    Name
    Steven
    Thanks

Is it normal for lovies to go to sleep on the side of the cage. My lighter coloured bird (almost like a granny smith apple colour) has gone to sleep as i expected, on the perch. Yet the Kiwi colored bird is still hanging on the bars on the side of the cage ASLEEP!!! Surely thats uncomfortable. It would be like me rock climbing and sleeping half way up the climb lol. Any ideas if this is normal

Name
    Tina
    Thanks

My peachfaced Wally always prefers to sleep on the side of his cage. He has a happy hut, plenty of different perches, which are more comfortable but he will move from his perch and sleep the night hanging on the side. Like you I was worried at first but realised that its not unusual for luvvys to sleep like this. (Mostly peachies tho?) He's tame and fearless so its not a nervous reaction just one of his (many) little foibles.... . Enjoy your birdies !!