where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toys!

Name
    birdy
    Thanks

Toys!

Babies got yet more toys today. I havnt posted any piccies of the tiels with their toys as of yet and ive got all the bits to make them with,i just havnt had time to do it yet, but i am on a mission to do it tonight.

Here is Jaffa playing with his new toys. He adores them. He is just too sweet for words, so thought i had to share these.

http://s681.photobucket.com/albums/vv178/Clairey331/

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

Re: Toys!

He looks like he's having fun!
    And i think i recognise the handiwork too

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    yvonne
    Thanks

jaffa is adorable, and I am so glad he is safe with you.
    it's great to hear he likes his toys, and that he has been playing all day, he will sleep tonight that's for sure.

Breeding
    Thanks

The spacing on those perches may be far apart... could take a tumble... Rollers like what I assume are on that circle can also be dangerous

also..

you should always life a dog with an arm under the belly, or behind the hind legs, not with one hand, always support the hind legs.

also shouldn't let children watch television that close... they will wreck their eyes

Nice toys.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

how are the roller things, or cotton reels as i call them, dangerous?
    Sammy has them, but only as foot toys coz they are too wide for him to stand on anyway.
    interested to know whether he SHOULD have them now.

And sorry, but the tv/eye comment is about 20 years out of date. Worse she will get that close is a headache. modern tvs dont contain the radiation levels the old ones did, and that was what did the damage. had that discussion with my optician a while ago along with the should i worry that i spend forever on computers one!

http://www.agingeye.net/visionbasics/visionmyths.php

cute dog tho... what is it?

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I do love your dog too Claire, she has two of them Helen I think they are Akita's. Awesome dogs, if you like the big ones like I do.

Jaffa is one handsome bird, and his toys look like lots of fun for him.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

ahhh right
    the little one's so fluffy her looks like a little teddy bear lol

Name
    birdy
    Thanks

They are Akitas indeed. Thanks for your lovely comments people. The male is 7.5 stone, half a stone lighter than me! Shocking. Not sure how big Kiki will get yet, as she is only 11 months old!

I was talking with Yvonne about that toy the other day actually, im going to take it down, and use the rollers to make toys from on my really good leather Yvonne gave me. Its cracking stuff, ive got quite alot of it to make toys for my tiels too.

Jaffa actually woke up making such a racket i thought there was something wrong! Im really thinking hes so chuffed with his toys. He doesnt usually start getting noisey until about 10 am every morning, he was up and squarking his head off at 8am!

Thanks Bloomer, yes i know how much you love your big dogs, i still think you should get one to keep those bears away from your house in the mountains you live in! Akitas actually used to hunt wild boar and bears in Akita in Japan where they are from. They have no fear and are very dedicated to protecting their families and their houses. They do this naturally without having to train them to do so.

Budgie, we are fully aware how to hold a dog thank you. That was my husband holding her when she was a little biddy pup. My step son took this great picture. However i will tell my husband your comment so he can correct it when he next wants to pick up a 5 stone akita!

The perches are not too far apart at all, there are more perches in the cage, you just cant see them from the angle i have taken the pictures at. That perch in question was only to hold the chube to get him more intrested in playing with it,he doesnt actually use that perch full stop, its the more sensible place to put it, as their are so many things hanging from the top of the cage that it would get too cramped. He spends most of his time climbing around the cage instead of using perches anyway. Funny little boy.

Here is a picture of my daughter she wanted me to share with you!

http://s681.photobucket.com/albums/v...5.jpg&newest=1

More piccies to come of the tiels playing!

Name
    birdy
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pixibubbles View Post
    ahhh right
    the little one's so fluffy her looks like a little teddy bear lol
    She does! She's a very big fluffy teddy bear now though! Lol. Shes ever so cute and so much easier to train than Boscoe ever was, she just wants to please you all the time.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    yvonne
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by born2budgie View Post

The spacing on those perches may be far apart... could take a tumble... Rollers like what I assume are on that circle can also be dangerous

also..

you should always life a dog with an arm under the belly, or behind the hind legs, not with one hand, always support the hind legs.

also shouldn't let children watch television that close... they will wreck their eyes

Nice toys.
    I cant believe that someone can be so cruel as to pick on someones pictures like this, and to make matters worse your advise is not even correct.
    if you were concerned you should have sent a pm, instead of picking on someone on an open forum.
    Clair has not had Jaffa long, and she is doing everything she can for this gorgeous little guy.
    she is well aware of the toy you mentioned, but the dangers are not the reels as you say, it is indeed the wire that was my concern.

I test toys all the time, I have tested hundreds of toys over the years, and most toys like this have zinc in the wire, and also the leather on the toy will more than likely be unsuitable.
    my advise to Clair was to remove the toy, bin all but the reels, wash the reels and use as foot toys, but to do just a few as Jaffa may not be bothered with them as he has a stack of pine foot toys, and birds usually like these best.

I cant see why you should be concerned about Jaffa taking a tumble, the bird is NOT clipped, the cage is NOT over full with toys, so if Jaffa fell, he can break his fall with his wings.
    my birds fall off their perches, swings, all the time, as they play rough with their toys, they also are NOT clipped, so they never crash to the ground.
    My senegal is 17 he has never hurt himself yet.

Jaffa is in good hands, I worry about lots of birds, Jaffa is not one of them.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    yvonne
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pixibubbles View Post
    how are the roller things, or cotton reels as i call them, dangerous?
    Sammy has them, but only as foot toys coz they are too wide for him to stand on anyway.
    interested to know whether he SHOULD have them now.

And sorry, but the tv/eye comment is about 20 years out of date. Worse she will get that close is a headache. modern tvs dont contain the radiation levels the old ones did, and that was what did the damage. had that discussion with my optician a while ago along with the should i worry that i spend forever on computers one!

http://www.agingeye.net/visionbasics/visionmyths.php

cute dog tho... what is it?
    Helen, you need not worry about the reels, they are fine,

Tailfeather
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pine4parrots View Post
    I cant believe that someone can be so cruel as to pick on someones pictures like this, and to make matters worse your advise is not even correct.
    if you were concerned you should have sent a pm, instead of picking on someone on an open forum.
    Clair has not had Jaffa long, and she is doing everything she can for this gorgeous little guy.
    she is well aware of the toy you mentioned, but the dangers are not the reels as you say, it is indeed the wire that was my concern.

I test toys all the time, I have tested hundreds of toys over the years, and most toys like this have zinc in the wire, and also the leather on the toy will more than likely be unsuitable.
    my advise to Clair was to remove the toy, bin all but the reels, wash the reels and use as foot toys, but to do just a few as Jaffa may not be bothered with them as he has a stack of pine foot toys, and birds usually like these best.

I cant see why you should be concerned about Jaffa taking a tumble, the bird is NOT clipped, the cage is NOT over full with toys, so if Jaffa fell, he can break his fall with his wings.
    my birds fall off their perches, swings, all the time, as they play rough with their toys, they also are NOT clipped, so they never crash to the ground.
    My senegal is 17 he has never hurt himself yet.

Jaffa is in good hands, I worry about lots of birds, Jaffa is not one of them.
    Actually the reels being on any wire, allowed to spin freely when perched on, can be dangerous. When they spin, bird goes off balance, and a toe can get caught between the reels. Have seen it happen here, on a perch that had a stationary perch with those reels strung in an arc above perch. Merlin tried to perch on top of the arc and his toe got caught. I had this perch in our window, so was supervising. Thankfully. I had to free his toe. The perch was taken apart, reels used to make new toys. But other birds may handle themselves on moving reels just fine! As always, with any toy, supervision is a good idea, until you know your bird can safely use it.
    Yes, Helen, the reels themselves are safe.
    Last edited by ~Lori~; 12-08-2009 at 04:41 AM.

Surrounded by people who love life, you love it too;
    surrounded by people who don't, you don't.
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

Name
    birdy
    Thanks

I took the toy down, took it apart, and used the bits for toys, like Yvonne suggested, im very pleased with the outcome!

I added to Yvonnes Bagel, and Jaffa adores it! Dennis loves his man i made for him and other toy Yvonne made.

I have spent all day making things. Its fab. Oh and Yvonne, i need more leather!

http://s681.photobucket.com/albums/v...7.jpg&newest=1

Heres the pictures.

Tailfeather
    Thanks

Very nice toys, you made Claire.

Surrounded by people who love life, you love it too;
    surrounded by people who don't, you don't.
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Claire I just love your daughters picture, she reminds me of Carissa all them years ago when she was sweet and so cute you could just bear hug them all day long. I also love your dogs, the bigger the better to me and yours are just the kind of dogs I really like.

I cant wait to see the tiels pictures.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.