Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Rudy...

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

Rudy...

Rudy needs help. Err.... I need help with Rudy, anyway.

Rudy and I are not making ANY progress. The other three are okay with me handling them. They still get nervous when I put my hand in the cage but if I'm patient and wait for them to come around, I can get them to step up and move them to the play areas. I can generally get them to step up with little to no issues to put them back, too. If I hold a piece of millet out, they will nibble at it. Once fully away from their cage, I can sit with them and they are okay with it. They might be a little nervous at first, but they are coming around and doing okay. They tolerate me.

Rudy is becoming increasingly worse. He wants NOTHING to do with me and lets me know it. I got them all on the play stand today while I cleaned the cage. The first three, no problem. With Rudy, I wheeled the entire cage over to the crate where the play stand is sitting on, and left the door open. Eventually, he went out. I've been attempting to perch train him, thinking that it might be less stressful but full on panics the moment I walk near the cage.

Getting him back in the cage was another story altogether. Nigel flew back on his own, Nita got nervous but did step up and Quito happily hopped up. I even got a kiss from Quito before I put him back. Rudy, however, freaked. I did the same thing, wheeled the cage over but he panicked and flew off. Only he can't fly. He was scared but running around my house. I tried using a perch, hoping that our previous training would kick in. Nope. I was doing everything I could think of to not make it more stressful for him. Eventually he managed to get himself stuck under a shelving thing we have. Once again, he freaked because he was scared. He came out, half running half attempting to fly and ran face first into a wall. Pure panic. I wasn't even near him at this point, I was across the room contemplating my least stressful catch strategy.

He cracked the front of his beak. Called the vet for the second time this week. As it was only the very tip, I just had to use some flour to stop the bleeding and if he's not acting normal (well, his normal anyway) by tomorrow, he's got to go in.

I can't even get near him. Ever. The only way to get him in and out of the cage is to wheel it over to the stand, which normally works just fine. Not today. If he does decide to leave the stand, all hell breaks loose. I've been leaving him in alone more often now because the going in and out process is so stressful. Once he is on the stand he is perfectly happy as long as I don't approach. That's fine by me. But if I can't safely get him back in the cage, I won't be able to let him out at all. I'll have to keep him in the carrier whenever I clean the cage.

That's no life for a bird. I need help. The other three are doing excellent. They step up most of the time, don't mind me being near them, and will sit with me calmly. We've worked so hard and it's showing in the other three. I just can't get anywhere with Rudy at all.

Name
    Ashley
    Thanks

Re: Rudy...

Sprite was the same way when I got him from my aunt. Bit hard too.. Well what I ended up doing was toweling him, moving to another room, then you can either sit with him next to a playstand (him on of course), or if he'll sit, get him on your shoudler and do some chores! like organizing, or laundry is a good one too, just have to watch how fast you move. Thats how we bonded, lol doing chores and walking around the house together.

But then again not all birds are suited for human companionship, and Sprite was the only bird I had at the time. Spent 6 mo training him so eventually he'd fly up to my hand from the floor (only a foot or two) then I got my first tiel Shadow after.

I hope his beak gets better!! Thats so scary!!

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tielygirl View Post
    Sprite was the same way when I got him from my aunt. Bit hard too.. Well what I ended up doing was toweling him, moving to another room, then you can either sit with him next to a playstand (him on of course), or if he'll sit, get him on your shoudler and do some chores! like organizing, or laundry is a good one too, just have to watch how fast you move. Thats how we bonded, lol doing chores and walking around the house together.

But then again not all birds are suited for human companionship, and Sprite was the only bird I had at the time. Spent 6 mo training him so eventually he'd fly up to my hand from the floor (only a foot or two) then I got my first tiel Shadow after.

I hope his beak gets better!! Thats so scary!!
    His beak is okay now. He's eating fine and everything. He just gets so worked up that the only thing on his mind is to get away from the scary human. He doesn't pay attention to where he goes or what he does. He tries to fly and can't and then flutters into things and behind things.

I am trying to get him out and away from the other birds. Or was, anyway. As he got worse, I started to think that perhaps it was the cause. He still panics and freaks. Even more so when he doesn't have the other birds around.

I really don't need him to like me. Just tolerate me enough so I can trust to have him out of the cage. If he's hurting himself, he can't come out to socialize and play in a new area. That can't be healthy.

8keets Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Mike and Kim
    Thanks

He may never calm down and be tame, sort of. Some are like that.
    We have one female hand raised who is good with people but horrid with other birds. She attacks all birds, no matter how large. So we keep her alone. It's kind of sad but it's her choice. She will step up and everything. Crazy huh?
    I guess some just can't handle one thing or another. If the cage he is in is large he will be fine not coming out. Good luck to you!

Name
    DeeDee
    Thanks

My two refuse to come out of their cage. I have tried and tried and they just don't care to come out and be friendly. They also freak out whenever I move around the cage. I don't mind, as long as they are happy and getting what they need and I try not to frighten them too much. Does Rudy like coming out, or does he seem fine just hanging out in the cage?
    Bertha and Cricket

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

He loves being out. He's active on the play stand and always seems to enjoy spending time out of the cage. It's just the getting him out and putting him back thing. When I take the others out and leave him in, he then stresses even more. This is why I need an aviary so bad, lol.

I'm A budgieaholic Tailfeather kathy5's Avatar
    Name
    kathy
    Thanks

hi,
    I am sorry to hear that you having a hard time with one of your new birds.

I had a female that was a total BI@#H!!! her name was sky
    she had the worst bite & would not sit on my finger at all when sunshine & kiwi & willow would.
    one day I let them all out & she ended up some how flying behind the friddg which was not so bad but than she got under it where to moter was & started screaming her scard scream because she was afraid of the moter well I thought she was getting killed by it I was in a total panic. after a bit all was quite & I thought I had lost her but she just needed a break from all of her screaming

I brought all 3 of the other birds down onto the floor sitting on a basket & about an hour later they got her to come out & join them she was not a friendily bird at all some birds are just like this no matter how much time you spend with them

I hope you have better luck

I ended up givering to a free flight bird home.
    this lady had a whole big room turned into a flight for her birds I wanted her to be happy
    my helpfull birdy page

kathy's facebook page

please give clicks to help my number go up

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

I think I've found an aviary for Rudy. I'll be sad to see him go if this works out but he will never adjust to being with me. He is miserable if I even change out his food dish. MISERABLE. He nearly broke his neck last night in another panic. I didn't go anywhere near him. I simply opened the door, grabbed the food dish that is on the door, and closed the door.

This is a nice, big aviary. The only contact with people he will ever have is when the woman cleans it and feeds them. It's large enough, however, that he will be able to safely get away from her.

I feel horrible but he is not happy here. He is utterly miserable if I go anywhere near that cage. The other three tolerate me. They can handle me being there. Rudy panics and he has put himself in dangerous situations to escape. I've tried separating him and he stopped eating. I've tried simply not touching him and he nearly broke his neck trying to fly away.

I'm not sure if this is the way we're going. I'm going to go out there this week and visit. If I like it, he'll stay there. If he adjusts to it, good. If not, he'll come back.

Name
    Mary
    Thanks

Roxy, have you tried to move Rudy to another room? Somewhere that he won't see the other 3 at all? Maybe you'd have better luck at some taming if he can't see the rest of his flock? Also, try to change scenery (besides just a new room). Like, if his cage is in front of a window, try putting it away from a window. If it's away from a window now, then maybe try putting it in front of a window? Might not even be possible (I don't know your house layout) but just some thoughts to ponder. Good luck!
    Mary, Cosmo, Kaylaur, Perry & Tyler, and Spaz (temporary foster). And we can't forget the furry kids Pepper & Chewy!

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

Yep, we tried to do a birdie boot camp with Rudy by separating him and handling him daily. It not only didn't work but stressed him out completely. He would hardly eat, sat on the bottom of the cage and would scream for the other birds constantly. I tried this for a week, trying to entice him with millet and everything. Millet was all he would eat and he didn't eat even enough of that. He needs a flock.

If I could just get him to stop panicking, everything would be fine. He is becoming a danger to himself and has gotten himself nearly killed because he's so scared.

Name
    Mary
    Thanks

Yeesh you really are between a rock and a hard place with Rudy aren't you?

Sounds like an aviary setting really may be the answer for him. Don't feel bad about it. You've done all you can do. This will be the final "gift" to him.
    Mary, Cosmo, Kaylaur, Perry & Tyler, and Spaz (temporary foster). And we can't forget the furry kids Pepper & Chewy!

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

I can't do it. I simply can't do it. I'm going to try and make it work. Perhaps if he can fly himself to and from the cage and I rarely need to handle him, we can make it work. I'm going to give it a few more weeks. I just don't want to give up on him. If I can somehow get it so that he doesn't panic and fly into things whenever I come near, I'm not worried about handling him at all ever. They are spoiled rotten and I know that very few places in the world will give him the care I do. I need to figure something out.

Name
    Ashley
    Thanks

hey I had an idea.. My tiel Lily isn't nearly as tame as the others and will only come on her time, so what do I do with a flighted bird when its time to go inside their cage? I attempted perch training but learned she was afraid of regular 'stick' perches.. SO I use a long ladder (over 12" or longer) and hold it so one long side (the dowel side) is facing up towards her, she learned very easily with that and I can mover her where ever I need to. Why dont you just work with all of the birds with perches, because he will most definatly be watching when you do it with the others. When you move them around the house, from laystand to cage or cage top. It can take a week or 2 months, you just need to be persistant.