Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Unable to fly, possible wing injury?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Unable to fly, possible wing injury?

Ok now i'm not going to hide the truth, this birds is at least 10 years old but I am trying to do everything in my power to help him. He for some reason does not like to or cannot move his right wing and seems to have balance issues. He was having trouble balancing on the food dish so i put in a seperat food and water dish on the floor of the cage and moved his millet branch down so he can reach it. I often find him with his head hunched down a little and a little poofed up. Any recommendations or advice would be nice. This bird is with a female but she's a good 5-6 years yunger and she was chirping enough about his issues. She lets me know when things aint right in the cage. So any advice on how to make her feel better, and make him get better.

Name
    Kate
    Thanks

Re: Unable to fly, possible wing injury?

Have you taken him to an avian vet yet? There are several things that could cause these symptoms and the only way to really know is taking him to the vet.

That said, there is some first aid stuff you can do. Be sure to keep the cage warm. A rice sock can help with that and it easy and cheap to make. If the little guy is having difficulty perching, consider putting some solid, flat platforms in for him. Be sure he's eating! It is very easy for birds to lose weight when they are ill. Be sure he has access to some of his favorite foods so you can keep his energy up. Sunflower seeds are great for that (they're high fat and most birds LOVE them).

But above all, do find him an avian vet. If you're having trouble, consider asking here again; the board tends to be pretty good about finding AVs in an area.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

well i don't think there are any avians in the area. I have a book or two on these types of birds and read there recommendations for a "sick bay" pen for him but i don't like the idea of taking him away from her, at the moment i think she's what keeps him going.

Name
    Tracie
    Thanks

My vet is actually not an Avian vet...just a vet who has experience with birds....I would call around and see if any vets in your area have bird experience....sometimes you may be able to talk to them on the phone and see if they think the bird needs to come in or if they can recomend a way to help. Good luck, it's so sad when they are sick.

budgie pro Brand New Egg jonathanbyrne@hotmail.com's Avatar
    Name
    jonathan
    Thanks

usually a budgie that cant fly means he is a stumpie or runt usually when they grow up they cant fly as a cause of little food as a chick i have two of them i let them run around the floor in my home too cute

take it from im a budgie breeder professionel

Think before typing Tailfeather
    Thanks

Banned Growing...
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jonathanbyrne@hotmail.com View Post
    usually a budgie that cant fly means he is a stumpie or runt usually when they grow up they cant fly as a cause of little food as a chick
    take it from im a budgie breeder professionel

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

will he let you examine him Flash?
    How long has this been going on? nIf it's very new (day or so) i'd suspect injury... probably. but if it's not... well either way i'd be calling the vet.

Have you checked the cage out well? Any signs of blood or feathers anywhere like if he had a night flight and hurt himself? I'm also wondering if his girlfriend might have hurt him a bit. Having a bad wing could make him unbalanced BUT it could easily be a sympton of an illness hence why its a good idea to see the vet. Plus if it's an injury it could need antibiotics or pain killers.

Where in the world are you... maybe someone can reccomend a good vet. My favourite vets here in the UK are ones i found by accident! The only avian vet i do know i wouldnt visit except as a last, last option

ten years is getting on a bit... but i've known bugs who have lived a lot longer happily and healthily. And they were pet shops birds who didnt have the best ever diets- coz no one knew any better then!

I dont know if you have been in the general bird forum here,,, but some of the first sticky posts have got some good links to vets ppl reccomend.
    Last edited by pixibubbles; 01-05-2010 at 04:26 AM.

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Remove Ads