where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Alissa
    Thanks

Question Green Cheek Conures Prices

Hello everbody,
    My friend is looking into getting a new Green Cheek Conure and was wondering how much she was going to be paying. I thought this would be a great place to ask What is the general price range for conures? is it cheaper/more expensive to get one from a breeder vs from a pet store? Any suggestions for the best place to find one?
    Thanks everybody

Name
    Samantha
    Thanks

Re: Green Cheek Conures Prices

Depends on where you and your friend are. I know in my area I paid $400 for my girl. I know other people on here have paid much less, but mine was hand reared from a breeder, I got to visit her regularly until she was weaned and ready to come home, and she cost less then they charge at the local Petco and PetSmart. Best bet is from a breeder. Some great birds can come from pet stores but a reputable breeder (with any kind of animal) is generally the best way to go, unless you're interested in rescuing a homeless pet. Good luck.

edit: mine is also yellow sided
    Last edited by Samantha1025; 11-21-2009 at 08:11 AM.

Egg's Cracking... Stewieandkiwis'mom's Avatar
    Name
    Becky
    Thanks

I got my girl from a breeder in LA. She is a DNAsexed female and also a yellow sided mutation. I got her for $250. That was nearly 4 years ago though.
    Check out my pet portraits website.
    www.beckyspetportraits.com

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

You can get a GCC anywhere from $150 for regulars to upwards of $500 for certain mutations. Also, it depends on where you live. They are pretty common where I am so $150 is about average.

Bow chicka wow wow! I... Found a Mate Breadpazoid's Avatar
    Name
    Jillybean
    Thanks

I paid $150 for a handfed bub from a breeder near Los Angeles. $45 extra for DNA sexing.

Mom to Ducky! (female cinnamon GCC)...THANK YOU Keet for the gorgeous sig!!
    Won't you come see me after 12am?

Name
    Gabriella
    Thanks

I bought 5 GC's for $50.00 each from a nearby breeder.
    I got two pineapples, two Yellowsided, and one normal gc. Just weaned babies!

Name
    Hillari
    Thanks

Here they run about 200 at a breeders, more in the stores. I do live in Alaska, though.

About 150 is average for a normal green.

"Loss is nothing else but change, and change is Nature's delight."
    -
    Marcus Aurelius

Proud mum of; Penny the Linnie, Tegan the BCC

Name
    Tracie
    Thanks

well I live in Newfoundland, the only pet store here that would Carry a GCC is Pets Unlimited and I say you'd be looking at $1000+ dollars.....no thats not a typo, I ment to say $1000+. I was real lucky! I rescued my guys and paid $500 for 3 plus cage and accessories! I guess the smaller/more remote your location, the harder/more expensive the bird.

Cream of Cockatiel Tailfeather sammit's Avatar
    Name
    Sam
    Thanks

here in australia anywhere from $200- $500 is the norm for a standard bird. and most pet stores here are too dim to tell between mutations so they all go for that price.

"im now under the impression that sarcasm is the body's natural defence against stupid" - sam

http://sammitshomecooking.blogspot.com/

Thanks

I live in Saskatchewan GCC go for $500.00 to $600.00 here thats how much i paid for Chico 4 yrs ago .

Chico my baby!!!!!

Name
    Tracy
    Thanks

I'm in Canada & the regulars can go from $200.00 to the mutations all the way up to $750. My YSGCC was $450.00 here.

Tracy

Senegal - Kiwi
    Parrotlet's - Mango & Pear
    Linnies - Apple, Lemon, Oliver & Bleu
    YSGCC - Melon

for the love of fids! Brand New Egg tikeo99's Avatar
    Name
    maryann
    Thanks

i am from wisconsin. i paid 50 for each for my normals not weaned yet. i paided 150 for my yellowsided she is 3 and 150 for my turquoise yellowside he is 6. that is cheap either way here for mutations. i know some people who get 200-400 for yellow sided,cinnamon,turquiose,and pineapple. the cheapest turquiose yellowside i have ever seen other then mine was 550 as an adult.
    i love me fids-amore,ariel,ashanti,ashi,braxton,brokyn wyng,marz,olyve oyl,rayni,stewie,gianni,baby tiel,iris,and sereniti.

Name
    Robin
    Thanks

Hi,
    I live in NH and I paid $275 for my Mollie from the breeder/bird store. That was almost 2 years ago. I think they are $295 now.
    NH Bird Mom

My three fids-Phoebe (lovie) Mollie (GCC) and Oliver (English Budgie)

Name
    Hillari
    Thanks

Guys, generally don't post on a thread more than a couple weeks old Can get confusing. No biggie, just keeps the forums more organized.

"Loss is nothing else but change, and change is Nature's delight."
    -
    Marcus Aurelius

Proud mum of; Penny the Linnie, Tegan the BCC

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kat
    Thanks

At breeder for $30 at 3 weeks. Nothing like handfeeding your own from almost just pulled. For me 2 days after pull with healthy baby wanting to eat formula. Bonding is stronger then if handfed by someone else X 100.
    It's easier to learn to hand feed then breeders want you to know. Only down side is that you may aspirate your baby on accident. Breeders accidently do this too, not just newbees. There is usually nothing you can do if its bad enough- sometimes the vet could help. I haven't had any deaths...just a few little aspirations that didn't turn into anything. A great sight is Kaytee they have a video...it contains a lot of fluff but the real basics plus some is there.
    Best all you negotiate with breeder (especially in the economy now)... my opinion is that cost should be 50-75 less then a weaned and ready bird. Now my $30 green cheek was a steal. Maybe a 3 to 4 week would be best for a starter though I usually like 2 weeks. This was my first 3 week baby and the first day was a little rough because he didn't know me. At 2 weeks they dont seem to care if new person.

As example: a lovebird you can usually get from breeder/some pet stores for $50-75. I wont pay more then 30, more often I negotiate it to $25. YOu have to remember that the breeder is saving money and time and you are taking a risk as well of a possible dead baby. You have to do what is right for you. All breeders had to start off somewhere. At one point it was thier first time too. They were no better then you are.

In my experiance...from breeders I know... not saying that this method is bad just saying how I have personally seen it...
    Self hand feeding the bonding is X100 better in my opinion because at the breeder most likely the breeder has more then one chick being handfed. You have to realized the more the birds and chicks the less time each chick gets. Also after a while for many breeders it becomes such a business practice that chicks are brooded in plastic shoe boxes that are only opened up to feed and clean. Then baby put back in till next feeding and breeder feeds the next and so on. To me this is but isn't handfeeding in order to get a loving bonding pet companion.

My most recent baby is 6 weeks old. So far knows several commands. Is completely potty trained on voice command to actually "go Potty, go poopy". He took his first flight yesterday in effort to get closer to me in the kitchen. Today he's flying to "come to mommy". He knows "no bite" as he can get nippy at times. He sleeps under my chin during naps and doesn't move one bit and I'm a stomach sleeper. Thankfuly also a very light sleeper.

My first lovebird I handfed at 2 weeks on. I was his mate once he got older LOL But anyhow... he was sooooo bonded I didn't have his wings clipped and would take him outside without a leash. He would fly up in the trees, go into neighbors yard tree, play for up to half hour and always made sure I was in view. If he couldn't see me while I was doing yard work he would come find me. I was his protector. After so long I would just have to call "come to mommy". Unfortunately for me that meant land on mommy's head. I DO NOT ADVISE ANYONE TO TRY THIS. Just my own story.
    I advise for super bonding self handraising period. And even though the breeder may have tons of chicks.... ONLY get one at a time. You want your bird to bond with you. If you get more then one chick they need to be housed separately and not allowed to play with eachother. Otherwise they will tend to revert back to bonding to the other bird and now you. So only one chick! If you want more.... wait till the next hatch and your first baby is completely weaned plus a month or so. Then a separate cage and I prefer separate room. It may sound cruel but if you are like me... I don't work... I am able to give each bird its individual love time.

This is just my very own experiance...many breeders may disagree and thats ok with me. To me my proof is in the pudding. As a pet owner for me this is the only way to go. As for breeder some will be willing- many others will try and scold you. Don't take it personally...just find another breeder that has healthy birds takes good care of them and is willing to deal with you.
    Reasearch all you can. A great place is youtube and kaytee for videos on handfeeding.

Animal Nut! Growing... Courtney's Avatar
    Name
    Courtney
    Thanks

It depends on location. Birds in my area are really expensive, pet stores are out of their minds. Boomer my GCC was $200 and he was abused and neglected and I still had to pay. At the pet stores they are $600 to $800, no joke. Actually yesterday they had a GCC for $660.

Mom to Two Jack Russell Terriers (Rocky & Jack), 4 fish tanks, Two Parrots, Indian Ringneck (Chiquita) & Green Cheek Conure (Boomer).