Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: HELP! Little bugs in my bird's food!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Rose
    Thanks

HELP! Little bugs in my bird's food!

My daughter just tonight noticed little crawling bugs in our cockatiel's food. It doesn't seem infested but there are several that we can see. I did a quick search and saw that some people recommend freezing your food and others say to microwave it. Should I worry about these bugs causing him any harm and how do you get rid of them?? Also, should I worry that these little bugs will infest the rest of my house/food/etc?? I'm desperate since this is the only food I have in the house for him until I bring some home tomorrow after work. Am hoping I can just carefully inspect a small bowlful and give it to him tonight and tomorrow am w/out worry.

Thanks for any advice!

Cream of Cockatiel Tailfeather sammit's Avatar
    Name
    Sam
    Thanks

Re: HELP! Little bugs in my bird's food!

those bugs are more than likely weevils. they are a pest yes but they arent a threat to your birds health. they are a threat however to any biscuits, cakes, flour, rice etc in your house. keep the feed in a sealed container outside or freeze it. the only way to get rid of these bugs is to clean all areas out and throw the feed.

i have a weevil problem right now too and my birds love eating the bugs so im just waiting until the feed runs out before i buy anymore. mine is in a sealed container outside. the bugs came with the feed from the store.

"im now under the impression that sarcasm is the body's natural defence against stupid" - sam

http://sammitshomecooking.blogspot.com/

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Rose
    Thanks

Thanks for your quick reply. Our bird is still very new to us (he's less than a year old).

I did buy a big bag of seed from the pet store but have kept it in a large, Tupperware container so it's been sealed all along and sits on the floor of my pantry closet so it's room temperature. I'm thinking it might be okay for tonight and tomorrow am if I were to pour just a little into his cup and inspect it (not sure how he feels about eating the bugs - I'm guessing he probably won't even notice). I just don't want them to get anywhere else in my pantry or house!

If I throw the seed away after replacing it w/new seed, and it's been sealed up in this one container, do you think I have a pretty good chance that they haven't gotten into anything else?? I don't see how they'd get out of the container.

Thanks again, Sam. Much appreciated! I feel better anyway knowing that we shouldn't worry about Dustin's health.

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

Clean the container out really, really well. Soap and water it. I've had issues in the past and the only way to get rid of them is to make sure you get them all. They "spread" quickly.

Cream of Cockatiel Tailfeather sammit's Avatar
    Name
    Sam
    Thanks

wash the container its in well. weevils are tricky little things and love dark spaces. if you dig into the feed right into the middle like you were mixing it and the seed "falls" or moves then its a big problem, thats the bugs digging back into the dark spots. check your pantry everything. flour thats still in its bag is a favourite place for them. there is nothing really wrong with the seed itself except for maybe a minor nutritional defincincy because they destroy the grains when they feed. easiest way to check if the weevils have gotten places is to look for "strings" kinda like cobwebs in your food. if ingested by humans you can suffer from e coli but it depends on what the bugs were feeding on.

"im now under the impression that sarcasm is the body's natural defence against stupid" - sam

http://sammitshomecooking.blogspot.com/

Name
    Kate
    Thanks

Yep. Clean really really well, but if it was in a well-sealed container there shouldn't be too much of an issue with the weevils getting into your food. Just be glad they're not grain moths.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I used to put the sealed bag of seed in the freezer for a night and then it seemed to kill the bugs that may be in the bag. I used to get Volkmans Cockatiel seed and it was about the only food I bought that didnt have bugs in it but I still would freeze it while it was still factory sealed to hopefully kill the bugs. I even found bugs in Goldenfeast seed once and that stuff is super expensive and when I called the company to tell them about it they said it didnt come from them... which was not true because I spotted the webs first thing I opened the bag. That just shows you even the really good stuff comes with bugs now and then.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

Bugs are never 100% avoidable but if you kill them at the first sign, you're usually in good shape. Even the most reliable places will sometimes end up with bugs.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Marcus
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by birdlover60 View Post
    My daughter just tonight noticed little crawling bugs in our cockatiel's food. It doesn't seem infested but there are several that we can see. I did a quick search and saw that some people recommend freezing your food and others say to microwave it. Should I worry about these bugs causing him any harm and how do you get rid of them?? Also, should I worry that these little bugs will infest the rest of my house/food/etc?? I'm desperate since this is the only food I have in the house for him until I bring some home tomorrow after work. Am hoping I can just carefully inspect a small bowlful and give it to him tonight and tomorrow am w/out worry.

Thanks for any advice!
    Hi i always freeze my seed for around 12 hours , no weevils ever and does not effect the seed in any way, Cheers Marcus.

Name
    steve
    Thanks

i always keep my seed in the freezer it helps keep the bugs in control though i feed very little seed i went to a pellet which has diatomaceous earth in it which is a natural wormer
    any bird on seed needs to be wormed at least once a year though i would every 6 months.
    seed is bad at being too fatty and makes birds over weight.though im not preaching.also with pellets you dont get the bugs.
    it can be difficult to get birds to eat the pellets and you have to be very careful when switching to a pellet diet.
    but the freezer will take care of the bug problem for the most part

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

You definitely want to throw the seed with the bugs out PRONTO! Because soon those bugs will turn into flying insects, and you will have one heck of a time getting rid of them. The bugs you see are the larva, and when they turn into flying insects, you will see them everywhere. The seed sack will be full of these little bugs that look like small moths. Sometimes you have to get a professional exterminator to remove them. Also, they can make your birds sick if they eat them. Once they are out of the sack and flying around you really have a big challenge on your hands.

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

I will add to this old thread.
    Buy seed from a decent place and it will not be infested with eggs or larvae.
    Yes placing in freezer will kill any bugs, but if they have been in the seed mix.
    Start thinking about the waste product from the damage they have done. The feces and the dead bodies.
    Why would you even consider feeding any of this to your birds?
    Protecting any seed mix at home is simple enough.
    One simple way is to use two bags one inside the other. Both airtight, so that any moths have to lay eggs on he outside. When these hatch the larvae have to get to food before they die. If they have to go too far they die.
    Or buy boxes that seal and are air tight.
    Another thing to watch is clearing out any left over seeds if you find they are building up anywhere.
    I freeze nothing, I do keep all my sprouting things in separate bags in an air tight plastic bin. This is just in case I do buy some seed that has bugs in it. I can then throw it away, and it will not contaminate the rest.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Remove Ads