Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Both good and horrid news: Closure

Name
    Emily
    Thanks

Both good and horrid news: Closure

Hey all,

I've been gone for quite a bit... But if you happen to remember I posted a thread on Willow's PBFD quite awhile ago...

Well, let's start with the good news first: Squeakers and Picassa have checked out clear of the virus within each blood test done. The vet is sure that Squeakers won't catch it because of his age and the fact that he had been in contact with her previously and hasn't contracted it. Picassa is the only worry in this particular case, but just to be 110% positive we continue to check Squeakers along with Pica (Different appointments, different car, and different carriers! All cleaned with bleach [welll, not the cars but we have two and Squeakers gets the Honda, pica gets the toyota] afterwards and rinsed thoroughly!) and so far they are safe and well! The next appointments are December 2, 6, and 7. Willow for the second, Squeakers the sixth, and Pica the seventh. Willow is taken to the vet in my Aunt's car, as she's lent it to us on her vet days just to be a bit safer.

Now to the horrid news:

Willow has not faired well with PBFD...She's been stricken with yeast upon yeast infections, sinus and respitory infections, lack of balance and of appetite, and has had many eye infections attatched to the sinus ones. She's faired well throughout all of this up until recently, where the respitory infection is beating her...She's lost her appetite, She doesn't chirp (That has to be the loudest silence I've ever experienced...IT breaks my heart each day ), she can't perch, and she's having huge problems breathing...She's had so many vet appointments and medicine that I doubt I could name half of them or recall half of the dates...And even though it's cost us an arm and a leg, it didn't matter so long as she got better...But this time nothing is working...It pains me to see her like this... So she has blankets on the bottom of her cage changed/washed daily, her food cups/water dishes next to her (we put millet and treats in the food...We're desperate to get her to eat a little bit. She'll nibble on some millet, but that's it )No perches in her cage because she just can't do it anymore, and a stuffed bunny + a bead chain for the possibility that she'd have enough energy to want to play... The din has had the air vent sealed to try and prevent the spread of the virus, and we clean everything DAILY with bleach and a good rinse...Dad and I have one pair of clothes dedicated to the din's use. We've been able to keep the din at 76 (It drops around 70 at night) but we make sure to keep her cage 3/4ths covered (with the front open) daily/nightly and it ends up staying around 79/80 for her to stay nice and warm. She's lost alot of her feathers, but to me she's still one of the most beautiful lovies I know... But her condition has hit a new low and the vet has recommended putting her out of her suffering finally...And she's done her best to hold this off because Willow has somehow always managed to pull through, but this looks to be the end of my little one If she doesn't show a sign of improvement by the second, then we will let her go then...I absolutely cannot bear the sight of her suffering, and I cuddle with her in a nice fleece blanket daily, change out of my clothes, take a HOT shower, and continue the day...I've grown used to her little chirps to me, but lately she hasn't even done that But even though I can't bear her suffering, the thought of putting her down hurts a whole lot worse However, I don't want her to live like this...And if she won't be able to pull through, then I will do the most humane thing...We love her so much, though... It's impossible to think of life without her little personality - Her alarm clock beeps, her fire alarms...I used to get a bit annoyed by the fire alarm, but I'd listen to it a thousand times over if she'd only make it once more

So far, PBFD has infected only Willow...But even the thought that my other two members of my flock are safe doesn't help the pain of losing one any...I am so grateful that Squeakers and Picassa are safe for now, and hopefully we will be able to keep it that way...But still... I'd rather Willow live a full and long life that she should be meant to have...It's the hardest decision I will have to make

This whole escapade and life's business have kept me off of this site, but I'm back now and hope to stay. It isn't the best news I could offer, but I suppose you have to take the good with the bad...And forget your own feelings in order to do what's best for them. This post might be a jumbled mess because I'm crying once more, so I'm sorry for the unorganization. I'll post a picture or two tomorrow of when she pulled through a previous infection and still perched I like to remember how amazed and happy we all were when she beat the odds that time. I doubt I ever felt so proud...Even though PBFD might take her, I'll always remember her as the spunky fire alarm that would go off and make us all uneasy for a good 3 minutes until we realised it was her...And as the fighter who beat the odds before they became unbeatable

There.

Name
    Brittany
    Thanks

Re: Both good and horrid news:

Emily I am so sorry you and your flock have to go through all this. You are very strong for keeping Willow alive and happy this long. I'm sure she knows what a wonderful parront you are and is very grateful for all that you have done.
    I'll keep you in my thoughts and hope that you don't ever have to go through this again *hugs*.
    ♥I Miss My Fids♥

Previously Tikigurl

AKA 'Follyfoot Farm' Tailfeather
    Name
    Mel
    Thanks

Aw no!
    I am so sorry hun, that is awful news!

You have tried so hard for her, and only you will know if it is right to end it. It will be a hard decision.

Whatever happens, she will know you loved her and did your all for her.

*hugs* to you hun! And your family and flock!

Before you ask, yes I am a b!tch...
    But I am an honest b!tch.

Cream of Cockatiel Tailfeather sammit's Avatar
    Name
    Sam
    Thanks

oh that sucks massively. its good to hear that the other two are safe for now... you are doing all the right things and we all know that you'll do the right thing by willow in the end. im sorry to hear that shes taken a turn for the worse. chin up, whats meant to happen will happen... all you can do is stay with her in these last moments and take knowledge in the fact that she knows you have done everything in your power for her and that you love her unconditionally. were all here for you in this time, no matter what you do.

"im now under the impression that sarcasm is the body's natural defence against stupid" - sam

http://sammitshomecooking.blogspot.com/

Name
    di
    Thanks

Oh gees, I am so sorry.

Name
    Emily
    Thanks

Thank you, everyone... I feel better knowing I have support and you all to turn to... I find comfort in the thought of her knowing she was loved unconditionally...Because to me, that's the only reason she really has survived this long...But if my vet says we should do it, and if I truly feel that she cannot win, then I will end her fight. I'll go in knowing we've done all we could do, though...Thank you for reminding me of that

There.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

EMILY!
    I've been wondering how you guys have been getting on. Missed you girly x

I'm glad Squeakers and Piccassa are doing well and holding the all clear

But i'm so, so sorry about Willow. Whatever happens, you've been the best owner she could have hoped for. So many people would have given in at the first hurdle, but you've done everything you can and given her every possible chance. And you know fo sure we're all here supporting you x

And whatever decision you do make, it will be made from love. And that's the best any of us can ever do x

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Moderator Tailfeather Community Moderator notredamebird's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

I am so sorry that PBFD has hit Willow so hard. This is just one of these diseases that are really hard to beat. Sounds like you guys have really risen to the occasion and done all you could.

Hugs.
    Atrus---Wesley---Tolkien
    Catherine---Lúthien---Elwing---Tipti

Just Hangin' Out~ Growing... Baboo's Momma's Avatar
    Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks

I'm so, so very sorry that Willow isn't looking good. We all here know what a great Mommy you are to her and how much she adores you. You have been amazing to her.I'm still pulling for Willow and you though, that she shows some improvement by the 2nd. Maybe she can fight her way through this bit too. I am relieved to hear the others are still fine...that's great news.

We are all here for you...
    Babs & Casso... The ones who started it all...

Thanks

I'm so sorry to hear about Willow. I remember from your PBFD thread that at one point you considered having her in the care of someone else, but I'm happy to read you decided to care for her yourself. Its so great that you also have a Dad who is just as dedicated. Just to echo everyone else, you have done a great job for your loved one and whatever happens is out of anyone's hands right now. Good luck to you and Willow.
    We got lots of Ham here

Name
    Tracie
    Thanks

I am so sorry to hear this! Hugs to you and your Flock from Me and Mine!

Name
    Emily
    Thanks

Thank you so much for the support everyone! It really, really helps
    She ate a little bit more millet today, but I don't know if I can classify it as an improvement. I'm just glad the little one decided to eat... And she chirped against my neck twice today... I couldn't help but burst with happiness at it I've missed her little chirps

There.

Just Hangin' Out~ Growing... Baboo's Momma's Avatar
    Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks

I agree , you can't say the millet is an improvement......but the chirping!!!!! OMG...That is!! Even if just a bit....I am still keeping Willow, you, the rest of your flock in my prayers.
    Babs & Casso... The ones who started it all...

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

i disagree. Eating anything (even millet) is a sign of improvement. And chirping to you is her way of letting you know she's getting that little lovie attitude back.

Come on Willow. We're all routing for you x

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Name
    Emily
    Thanks

I'm always so nervous to go check on her...
    Today was not a good checkup..She was asleep and wouldn't move or wiggle when I uncovered her, I was scared that she had passed So I picked her up and got a fleece blanky and she cuddled in my lap for two hours. No chirps again, and I had to help her drink her water again. The good news though is that she WILL drink water, so I don't have to syringe hydrate her. But if she doesn't eat millet today then I'll ask the vet if I should run over and get so more formula and give her nutrients that way. It's her day off, but she's grown to love the little bugger so she comes in when I call her She's been a life saver

It's only the afternoon, so I'm hoping she'll give me some signs of improvement. I am really, really hesitant to take her in on the second, but I will anyways. If she perks up a bit, and gets a little fiesty at the vets (She always has found the energy to nip once ) then I think I'll hold off another week...And should she pass during this time period, then at least she'll be at home, in a warm room, snuggled in blankets, and surrounded by love and treats.

Once again, I cannot thank everyone enough for all of the support and kind words...I'm thinking that she's feeling those good vibes

There.