where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: 3 month update - info for new owners

Name
    George
    Thanks

3 month update - info for new owners

Hello everybody!

This morning I've been playing with my lovie, who made me laugh a lot, and thought about posting some of my experiences, maybe helpful for newcomers or potential owners.

3 months earlier:
    I had birds before, but never a lovie. I was looking for a highly interactive bird that could play with me and not only require food and chirp at me. After doing some research and taking into account the available space, time and money I reached the conclusion that a lovebird would be the perfect choise. It seemed the best balance of large parrot personality and small size.

A few bad indications I met online: It was said that lovebirds are extremely nippy, misbehaving, very difficult to tame and the worst of all, never to be owned as singles...I ignored all these, sticked to more responsible descriptions (like from this forum) and bought a single male lovebird, 3 months old.

Today:
    Bully is an adorable pet! A little clown that has been a part of our family. Energetic, easy to handle. He never bites (except for the first couple of weeks) rather than sqweeks and touches me with his beak as a warning. When playing, he likes being gently grabbed, pushed around and playing tug of war. Sometimes he behaves more like a cuddly hamster than a bird. It is now more difficult to get him off me than get him close to me. He recongizes all the family members, and loves sitting on my fathers' shoulder and shouting out loud at my mother.

Summarizing, I would say that if you purchase a single healthy young bird, without any past traumatic experience from humans, it is a matter of time to be an ownerof a very good pet. Being reasonable, a bit patient and respecting your new friend (it is not a toy but it can be a great entertainer-they like that), is all it needs.

I post some recent pics.

Getting obsessed with my zipper

Posing for a pic before charging towards the camera

Playing hide and seek
    Last edited by ypogeios; 12-13-2009 at 04:48 AM.

Thanks

Re: 3 month update - info for new owners

I love the expression in the last photo.
    We got lots of Ham here

Name
    Tina
    Thanks

He is adorable!!! Well done for a fantastic job of getting Bully to trust and love you.
    It gives first-time luvvy owners hope that all can come good in the end.
    I hope my new bub Harley becomes as tame as Wally, my original rescued luvvy, who was just a sweetheart from day one.
    I know it would've been easier if Harley had been introduced as a lone bird from the start, but she's becoming braver by the hour.
    Loves sitting on my shoulder and making a fuss, she's an absolute joy. Only comes to me on her own terms tho, no hands or step up yet, but when she's ready....
    I just enjoy all her antics, her zest for life and the fact that she loves everything!!!. Luvvys are just brilliant as pets. They give soo much back. You made the right choice !!

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

awwww what a sweetie

He really does look like he is grinning

I'm glad you've joined the lovie world!

Just a tip tho- quite often zips are painted and made of potentially toxic metals so arent good for chewing. I've been telling Sammy this for MONTHS... one day he will listen and stop trying to chew every zip we have on our clothes lol

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Name
    George
    Thanks

Hi again.

I hope some new owners (newer than me) read this and get encouraged to keep on going with the taming process. It is really rewarding. Bully is constantly available for playing and even if I had him the whole day out of his cage it wouldn't be enough! That situation seemd elike sci fi when the first few days he was moving in the far corner of his cage. I enjoy their company cause they are really smart animals. I even like it when they try to pose their rules :-)))

Thanks for the info about the zippers. It is true, they want to chew everything! I'll keep it in mind.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

watch out for TV remotes too!
    That's Sammy's favourite no no. the amount of times i've chased him around with my heart in my throat terrified he's going to swallow the lump of rubber!

they are such fantastic little trouble makers

Name
    George
    Thanks

Yes, they are gadget destroyers. Mines favourite are telephones. When it happens to make a phonecall, I am obliged to have attached to my ear the phone and a bird sqweeking...

I never let him out without supervision anyway. I prefer that he has less time out than risk leaving him alone. Lovies seem to be fearless, curious and willing to do whatever crosses their little brain no matter what. It's a bit dangerous combination, but frankly speaking, that's why I like them...

By the way. Do you provide him some kind of a nest for the sleeping?

Name
    Hayley
    Thanks

lovebirds are awesome!!! Getting Paulie was the best thing i ever did.............at the moment the thing that makes me laugh about him the most is that he attacks my earings and makes them swing, and then sways along with them on my shoulder, he also like running aroung the top of my head and sliding his feet down constantly!! its like a lovie head massage!!

i think you have done wonders with your little one and its just so nice to hear of yet another person finding the joys of bonding with their lovie, and making such a good job of it

thanks for the pictures!!!
    H, P, F and A x x x

Life is what you make it!!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kat
    Thanks

Wow I hope me and skylar can be like that in about 2 months cant believe I already have had him for like three weeks.

Hopefully I am posting a update like that seem to be going that way for me to they know when there in a good home and how to wrap us around there little paw

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ypogeios View Post
    Yes, they are gadget destroyers. Mines favourite are telephones. When it happens to make a phonecall, I am obliged to have attached to my ear the phone and a bird sqweeking...

By the way. Do you provide him some kind of a nest for the sleeping?
    Sammy does the phone thing too. It's adorable and highly annoying, although he prefers talking to some people than others.

No i dont give Sammy any type of nesting, for two reasons. One- i can't find anything i would consider safe coz Sammy is a little chewy monster and likes to shred things into little strands that, knowing him, he would tangle up in. If there's a silly way to do something, Sammy finds it.

Two- my house is pretty even tempreture

Name
    George
    Thanks

If there's a silly way to do something, Sammy finds it.
    hahaha...That's true, they find the silly way to do something and then they stare at you like in the photo of Sammy!

Ok, I asked about the nest because I wondered if they need a place to "sit" while sleeping. Bully sleeps on the highest perch of his cage and I think I would have noticed it if it was a problem for him by now.