Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Cockatiel / Conure breeding?

Hi,

I have a cockatiel (girl) and a green cheek concure (boy). I believe they have mated because we discovered 3 eggs hidden under the bed the other day and our cockatiel is very protective of the area. She is sitting on them but I am unsure if the eggs can hatch or she just laid them instinctively (sp?)...can anyone shed some light on the situation?

Thanks,

Brand New Egg LoveForTheBlackDahlia's Avatar
    Name
    Lauren
    Thanks

Re: Cockatiel / Conure breeding?

I didn't think a conure could mate with a cockatiel. Do you have in the same cage or something? Do you let them out at the same time? If the answer is no the both than I think the female just decided to lay eggs randomly. It is December so I don't know why she is laying but than again birds are crazy like that lol!
    Animals are delicate treat them right.

Black Dahlia your justice will come!

Name
    Liz
    Thanks

Females don't have to mate to lay eggs. They just need to believe its spring and that conditions are right to raise young. Move the eggs to her cage, and let her keep them until she gets bored of them, then make sure you do things to stop her from thinking it's spring. Things you can do are:

To prevent laying, keep daylight hours steady and about 10 - 12 hours of darkness.

Don't let her "play" in small dark areas. This can be anywhere in or out of her cage. Kami's small space, was crawling under the newspaper that we had on the grate in their cage. The 'tiels now only have paper under their grate.

Don't stroke her back or under her wings.
    Less baths.
    Only enough food for that day (and a little extra). If there's an abundance of food it's a good time to have chicks and we want to create the opposite environment.
    Less soft foods.
    Frequent cage rearrangements - take all the perches and toys out and move them around. We do this every month/six weeks, we swap toys every couple of weeks, or when one toy is being ignored, but I'm not sure if this has the same effect as rearranging the perches. Moving the perches gives them a whole new environment, where as swapping toys, just gives them new toys to play with. Swapping toys is definitely important though, to your birds general mental health.
    Cage moves - if you can, set the cage up on the other side of the room, or in a different room altogether.
    Night cage - This is just a small cage (only needs to be big enough for her to spread her wings), with a perch, and a water dish, where she sleeps every night.
    Mental stimulation - I believe that if you keep them busy then they'll be less stimulated to breed. On top of all their chew/shredding/preening toys (and our two have quite a lot) our birds have loads of foraging toys, that they play with every day. The foraging cups and foraging tray (details in my blog, linked in my sig) are definite favourites.

Feathers and Forage - New Post - 08/02/10 - Cat balls and Corn Cobs

NCS, state coordinator Brand New Egg White Wolf's Avatar
    Name
    Ruth
    Thanks

Although babys can be produced at any time of the year, the majority of my babys seem to be born in Feruary and in October. This seems to closely coinside with their natural mating and breeding patterns in their native country [Australia]. Two different species of bird cannot produce a viable chick on their own without genetic alterations, although interspecies mating is not unheard of. Just like humans who have sexual needs, so do our feathered friends. However unless you have seen and heard mating, it is unlikely. As stated above hens can lay eggs without a mate, so I wouldnt worry. When she gets sick of sitting throw them away, they are no good, Ruth

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thx all for your input. She is still fighting a lot with any one who enters the room but now there are 5 eggs. I hope she gets tired of them soon because I am worried about her. I really doubt they are fertile, yet I haven't candle tested them yet. The eggs where spotted just before Christmas, and the 5th one just yesterday.