where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Umbrella Cockatoo

Brand New Egg LoveForTheBlackDahlia's Avatar
    Name
    Lauren
    Thanks

Umbrella Cockatoo

Well for some time now, I have wanted an Umbrella Cockatoo. I plan on getting one in a few years when I have my house finished and I have more money and more knowlegde of the bird. I understand they are loud birds that require lots of attention. I live in the woods around no one the bird can chirp up a storm and no one can hear him.

Basically what I would want to know is, if you have a Umbrella or another type of cockatoo

-How loud does your's get
    -How much free time do you give them
    -What is your cockatoo's personality like

Also any thing I should know about a cockatoo please tell me. I plan on researching more before I get one!
    Animals are delicate treat them right.

Black Dahlia your justice will come!

Moderator Tailfeather Community Moderator notredamebird's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

Re: Umbrella Cockatoo

The most important thing to know about cockatoos is that they can be a real handful for most people, which is why you should evaluate carefully not only what behaviors you can stand, but also whether you can handle them long-term. (That is: With kids around? If you have to move? etc.) These questions have to be asked with all parrots, but especially with cockatoos.

The second most important thing to do is look into getting a rehomed bird. More than any other parrot, cockatoos are given up by their first (second, third, etc.) owners to rescues and classified ads. It's a very chronic problem. By adopting, you helpo address this issue. You often also get to skip the terrible adolescent years with the bird, have an idea of its adult personality, etc. And since there is no shortage of birds looking for homes, you can 'shop around' for the right match.

Hope this helps. I wish I could say more, but my living situation doesn't permit my getting a 'too, so I haven't had the pleasure. I also believe that a too would be far to difficult for my husband to handle -- he gets intimidated easily!
    Atrus---Wesley---Tolkien
    Catherine---Lúthien---Elwing---Tipti

Birdlady Moulting Limpyduckling's Avatar
    Name
    Rosalie
    Thanks

I own 2 Umbrella cockatoo's a male and a female. The main thing is to give them enough attention. If you don't have the time for them don't get one. I have a 9 year old female and a almost 2 year old male. They are very sweet loving parrots. Make sure they have enough toys and all of their needs. I have 2 african greys also. My cockatoo's are my favorite. They are a very loving bird. Mine are very sweet and cuddly. Make sure you do the research on them before you buy one. Mine can be loud but no louder than my african greys. The main thing is do not spoil them too much. They do demand your attention. I worked all of my life. After I became disabled I bought my cockatoo's. They will scream for you and pluck if the don't get attention. There are ways to keep them quiet. My birds know when it is nite nite time it is quiet time. You can be stern with them and not be abusive to them. You can be good to them without spoiling them too much. The main thing is that they get enough love and attention from you the owner. I wouldn't advise anyone working full time to buy one. I have one that calls for mama when you leave the room he is in. I wouldn't advise breeding one they can become very mean. If you want to pm me Ill be glad to talk to you on the internet msn or yahoo.

Thanks

The one thing that stands out in my mind when Umbrella Cockatoos are mentioned is the saying, "getting an umbrella cockatoo isn't just a tough decision. It's a mind-set and a way of life." You have to be willing to commit to your bird 110%. Since we've gotten Snoball, my boyfriend and I have to plan for everything. Who will have him during the day? Who's watching him at night? Can he come out with us? If we want to go out can we schedule it for close to his bed time? It's like purchasing a perpetual 2 year old. Everything we do revolves around Snoball and his needs.

Snoball is a little more than 4 years old. He'll be 5 on tax day. His personality is wonderful. I couldn't have asked for a better bird. Even though his hormones are acting up he is still very sweet. He seems to take his aggression out on strangers rather than us, which I think is great. I know that sounds terrible and selfish, but really ... if he's gotta bite someone I'd rather it wasn't us. And we do warn people - especially when we can read his body language and we KNOW something is going to happen. We'll intervene and take him away from the person holding him. Snoball is codependent. He has to be with someone at all times or he will scream. The only thing that quiets him down is giving him a toy, or getting squirted with a squirt bottle. (We've considered getting a squirt gun just to make it more comical. Aren't we horrid?) But that is a last resort. Usually a firm "hush!" will get his attention and make him stop.

He is only loud when he is bored. That doesn't sound like such a big deal, but he is so smart that he gets bored with things easily. He enjoys puzzle toys and foraging toys. Things that make him work and think. Those are the only things that will keep him busy. Well, leather strips can entertain him for a while, too. Especially if he's sleepy. The feel of the leather puts him to sleep I guess.

Snoball goes everywhere with us that animals are allowed. He goes to the bookstore, to the park, he's gone to doctor's visits, drive throughs, etc. He knows to greet others when they greet him and MOST of the time, he just loves everyone and everything. The more he has to DO, the nicer he acts. Keeping things interesting, I would say, is the key with Umbrella cockatoos.

Birdlady Moulting Limpyduckling's Avatar
    Name
    Rosalie
    Thanks

Having a Umbrella cockatoo is like having another child. I have 2 of them. They don't like being left in a room by theirself when they are awake. They like to be with you. I tell them what I am doing and that I will be back. It is deffinately a full 100% commitment to have them. I'm glad I waited till I was older to get them. They are very loving . There is a big diffrence in the female and male. I have both.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Meg
    Thanks

I've never owned a 'too and never will, but I just wanted to put my .02 in and say that the rescue I volunteer at has over 100 cockatoos of various kinds at the moment. They are one of the most often relenquished parrots at the rescue. I don't say that to discourage you if you really want one, only PLEASE consider a rescue bird!

Remove Ads