Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Banned Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jason
    Thanks

Unhappy We lost the last baby today

Sad to report that the last baby from DeeDee and Desmond's clutch passed away today. He seemed perfectly fine, was eating well and chirping away. There was some bruising in his crop area last night, then today he had a bruise on his cheek. I was feeding him and needed to thin the formula a bit so I handed him to Sara, she noticed he was becoming unresponsive and he went downhill from there. He lasted about another hour then started seizing and passed away.

I have pictures of the bruising, but I will post those some other time to see if anyone has ideas. Instead, here are a couple I took earlier today.

Kiss my vent. Hatching
    Name
    Tweetebirds
    Thanks

Re: We lost the last baby today

This baby should have had heat. Either a heating pad, brooder or something that would provide warmth. Even with the down they still get chilled very fast and should be kept in a enclosure that provides heat until they are almost fully feathered.
    It's hard to say why he died, from being chilled, stunted, the formula being too thin or not warm enough, formula to hot and resulted in a crop burn, something else or a combination of them.
    Was he housed with the cockatiel 24/7? The bruising could have resulted from the Tiel or possibly another trauma (such as a fall).

Banned Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jason
    Thanks

Thanks, if you were trying to **** me off, you succeeded. The baby had his own cage, with a heating pad. We were putting him in with Sid, our special needs cockatiel to get him some socialization. Sid was awesome, groomed him gently and was actually a little scared of the baby. And the baby had been in his own cage with the heating pad for the few hours before he died. I've been raising this baby for 6 weeks now, I think I had things figured out, but please, feel free to insult me some more and make me feel worse.

Get bent!

Banned Chick
    Name
    Sara
    Thanks

Wow, way to kick us while we're down TweeteBirds. We have cared for this baby since he was still an egg. Up throughout the night for feedings. Took him with us when we had to be out for more than a half hour. Our lives have revolved around this little guy for the past 6 weeks.

The baby was never left unattended while with Sid. He never suffered any falls or injuries.

The marks were a reddish/purple. We described them as bruises, they weren't bruises caused by anything.

It was feeding time and he was lethargic. He is never like that. He has always been a very good eater. At the end he was seizing, and there was nothing we could do. He was breathing and had a good heartbeat. He just didn't make it.

So, anybody who isn't insensitive have any thoughts? Could the marks have been blood clots that were visible through the skin? Could blood clots cause seizures? What other things could cause them in a baby GCC?

Animal Nut! Growing... Courtney's Avatar
    Name
    Courtney
    Thanks

Oh Im so sorry. What a little cutie he was. I know it's tough. I wish I could help.

Mom to Two Jack Russell Terriers (Rocky & Jack), 4 fish tanks, Two Parrots, Indian Ringneck (Chiquita) & Green Cheek Conure (Boomer).

Birdlady Moulting Limpyduckling's Avatar
    Name
    Rosalie
    Thanks

what a cute baby I'm sorry for your loss

Kiss my vent. Hatching
    Name
    Tweetebirds
    Thanks

Wow. OK. I guess I didn't realize by offering some explanations of why the baby died that that constitutes insensitivity. I re read my response and I still don't see where I insulted you or called you anything that would call for "get bent".

I'm sorry you lost the baby, he was very cute.

Hatching
    Name
    robin
    Thanks

sometimes nothing can be done for them. I'm so very sorry for you and him. sweeties mom. I'm sure no one meant to seem insensetive.sweeties mom.
    Hi, I'm Robin

Its about time this Egg's Cracking... Milover's Avatar
    Name
    Jamie
    Thanks

Sorry to hear that guys. I know you were doing all you could to take care of him and raise him right. Poor baby

Name
    Samantha
    Thanks

Sorry you lost that little cutie. As sweeties mom said sometimes it just happens. I have bottle raised several litters of kittens and I've lost a couple of them. One minute they are thriving, the next minute they're gone. I know it's tough