Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Hatching
    Thanks

Homemade Nutriberries and Avi cakes (for cheep people like me!)

I am going to make these soon. I will let ya'll know how they come out!

http://www.cockatielcottage.net/bisc...birds76cc.html

Homemade AviCakes

Ingredients: 2 cups crushed Cheerios, Shredded Wheat, pellets or instant oats, or combination of any or all 3 ingredients. 2 cups of assorted seeds seeds

Directions
    Add honey..... about 1 and a quarter cups of Honey.... stir till mixture is wet but not dripping You may need to adjust the honey. you can also use corn syrup if you don't like the honey then pour it onto a cookie sheet, spread it out and bake at very low.... like 200 - 225 for about 45 minutes... about half way through cooking I usually score them it makes it easier to cut them when done... you can also shape these around craft sticks with a hole drilled at one end for a hanging treat in the cage....these make terrific stocking stuffe or birthday gifts for the birds.... My birds go crazy for these

Hatching
    Thanks

Re: Homemade Nutriberries and Avi cakes (for cheep people like me!)

Last night while i chatted on the phone i mixed up a batch of this stuff. I used sprouted seeds though and soaked and sprouted millet.

It's been in the oven at 225 for hours. Still seems to soft.

i'll let you know if i can get it to turn out ok.

Hatching
    Thanks

These came out great! i just kind of used my judgement on the recipe, added two beaten egg whites and maybe a half cup of honey and pressed the concoction down into a glass casserole. when i turned it over it was still somewhat soft and, working quickly, i was able to roll some of it into small nutri berry type balls. The rest i cut or molded into different sized pieces. Now we'll see if the kids like them.

When i make foraging treats on Monday i will add pics to this thread.

Cream of Cockatiel Tailfeather sammit's Avatar
    Name
    Sam
    Thanks

hmmm.... looks like an ok recipe. personally id probably add things like air dried fruit to the mix as well. id be a bit worried about all that honey but then i dont really know how much goes into commercial seed bells either so hmmm

"im now under the impression that sarcasm is the body's natural defence against stupid" - sam

http://sammitshomecooking.blogspot.com/

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

I wouldn't compare them to nutriberries or avi-cakes because I'm pretty sure that various vitamins/minerals are added to make them at least fairly healthy. This seems more like the the seedsticks sold at petstores that I would never give my birds.

Adding sprouted seeds seems good though. Does anyone know if cooking the sprouts changes their nutritional value?

Hatching
    Thanks

It does slightly, it is what i had handy (as I always have seeds sprouting.) you could use regular seed.

Considering my birds are on a fresh whole food diet (shauna's mash) along with sprouted seeds I don't worry about the "junkiness" of this treat. I also don't do any sort of supplementation unless my vet recommends it so I wouldn't add any sort of minerals or vitamins. I suppose you could though, if so inclined.

First Baby Hatched!
    Name
    Lee
    Thanks

I tried your recipe for a one off treat, and Pepper had mixed reactions.
    At first I thought she hated it, she took one bite and flew off, not looking at it again. I got back from work today and she had finished it off totally, which I can only say is a success. She usually doesn't bother with treats, health concious bird that she is
    I wouldn't feed it often, but it was nice for a one off. Maybe an idea for her upcoming hatch day!

Hatching
    Thanks

Funny you tried it, because i have improved it!

What I did was add dehydrated (in my oven --took FOREVER) beans and veggies (dandelion, peppers, carrot, green bean, corn) as well as a few different fruits (banana, strawberry, blue berry, rasberry and apple) and brown rice. I used two part rice to one part bean. I used lentils which had been soaked and sprouted and then dried. I just used cooked brown rice that I pressed all the water out of. I cut the honey in half and increased the egg white.

When I had everything dehydrated (this took a really long time with my oven on warm and the door cracked) I blended them all in the food chopper until I had a pebbly veg/ rice/ bean/fruit dust. I combined the "dust" with the seed (i used plain canary seed this time, I need to do some research to see which seed is healthiest for next time) and the honey and the beaten egg whites. Then I baked it at 200 for about 2 hours. THEN I took it out, (you have to work super fast) added two scoops of multi-vitamin 9purchased at the pet store today) and pressed it into ice cube trays. I am going to let it cool and harden over night and (hopefully) they will pop out when I try to release them.

I may add spirulina or bee pollen to the next batch. I know I still need to take some pics but i have yet to get going on my foraging toys because i've been messing with this for a few days.

Hopefully, my birds will eat it.

First Baby Hatched!
    Name
    Lee
    Thanks

They sound even better! Might give them a go, sound like they will be really nutritious and hopefully a real treat for your birds

Hatching
    Thanks

It's a pain to dehydrate in the oven so cut everything REALLY thin and use parchment paper underneath it. A fan helps it dehydrate faster if you can somehow angle one in there. I just checked mine cooling in the fridge and decided to put them in the freezer to get them to cool faster. I am afraid they won't come out of the trays.... :/

I am going to try to perfect this recipe to get it as healthy as possible. I am considering just using two types of millet and a naturally colored pellet with the dehydrated veg next time. I wish i could figure a way to bind it without the honey.

Anyways, i thought I'd share in my trial and error. Let me know what ya'll think!

Hatching
    Thanks

They were still a little too soft when i pulled them out this morning (had them hardening in the fridge) so I popped them out and placed them back on a sheet and back in a 200 degree oven w/ the door open. They were firm enough to hold their shape when I released them from the cube trays.

I offered a softer one, broken up to everyone. Budgies won't touch it but they hate everything. Delphi and puck seem to really like them .

Pics to come.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Taylor
    Thanks

Mmm, sounds yum. Im sooo gonna make my lovebird Misa some!

Hatching
    Thanks

They are what they are. I rarely offer them anymore because the size is so huge. I do break them in plastic bags and stuff the bits in foraging toys. Mostly though, I worry about the honey. It is high in sugar, if you use it (and you will probably have to, to get it to stick together) use raw local honey.

I may try a new batch soon with the surplus of organic blueberries I have now. I am going to try to do it with only egg white to bind.

Hatching
    Thanks

Here's a pic I meant to post a bit ago: