Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

My parakeet is ****** off at me

yeah so i had this parakeet for a while now like 6 years and i used to chill with him a lot (out of the cage) but lately i havent and now he just seems ****** at me. im serious. hes obssessed with the mirror and not me, if i move my hand away from the mirror he will bite the **** out of my hand it hurts really bad. i dont know why he bites me he never bit me before. how can i train this bird? is it too late to train him? also, he used to fly around my room no problem and sit anywhere. now he flys into the walls and it looks like it hurts because he hits the ground pretty hard if i dont catch him. ive been working hard trying to get this birds trust back but i dont know he just doesnt listen to me at all anymore. i figured u guys can help me. thanks.
    erock899 is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Re: My parakeet is ****** off at me

also i dont know if you guys should know but my bird is very different from any other bird. we used to think he needed friends in his cage so we bought other birds for him but he killed them all. im dead serious when i say this my bird is very agressive but hes very very smart so i like him. i know hes smart cus he can say a bunch of words and he just knows certain things. for example, when my little brother cries in my room he goes crazy its like he can sense emotion. also the radio has to be on at all times or else he throws a fit, it seems like he has to hear voices or music for some reason. but in general he doesnt like me anymore. i know i havent taken him out in a while but still i didnt think he would be like this. i dont know if hes getting old or not but it seems like he forgot everything, he acts like we just got him when he comes out the cage. someone please help.

World Ruler in the making Chick Edd's Avatar
    Name
    Edward Wong
    Thanks

hello, I will try to make this as candid as I can, this seems like quite a serious case. What bird is he? Can you post some pics of him? It sounds like he is going through some hormonal stage, but I am worried about the fact he is flying into walls, it could be a big problem if he is becoming disorientated in flight. You should take him to an avian vet. If I may ask, quite how long is a "while"?

I'd also remove that mirror, it is more common than not that male birds become more aggressive and territorial when they see "another bird".

I am actually quite upset to hear that he killed birds that you put with him and to be frank I find that incredibly irresponsible that you even put a bird with him, he would have shown aggression towards those birds which isn't hard to pick up on. There is no need for me to dwell on that but I can tell you it does not bode well for you as an animal owner. It is more important to solve the problem at hand.

Edd

What a marshmallow Hatching ashie's Avatar
    Name
    Ashleigh
    Thanks

First off if your bird kills one bird you DON"T GO ADDING ANOTHER ONE!
    with that said can you please tell me the size of his cage?
    Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game. ~Paul Rodriguez

What a marshmallow Hatching ashie's Avatar
    Name
    Ashleigh
    Thanks

If you ask me your post seem like more then just the bird needs help... One minute your on about the bird being "very very smart" then the next "hes forgetting everything"
    Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game. ~Paul Rodriguez

Think before typing Tailfeather
    Thanks

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    linda
    Thanks

remove the mirror. As long as he has mirror he going to think he has buddy so he does not need you.You must first remove the mirror. 2nd do not get another bird as long as ou have that one but if u must not in same cage. also get the bird to a vet
    If i were u i would not get another bird until that one has passed away to do so would put the new bird in mortal danger.
    is your bird old? It could be senile and that why it is aggressive. parakeets dont have a long life span.and yours geting up there. also my breeder of my gray. will I mention your case. This is what she told me. One some birds will kill. They will kill any mates or other birds put in with them and he may be trying to kill the bird in the mirror. She also she says clip it wing . a flighted bird thinks he in charge. Take him down a peg. clip his wings
    also if you do not have time to play with this bird why do u have it? Be fair with the bird play with him he will tame down if you cant then find him a new home
    Last edited by parrotforlife; 01-10-2010 at 04:03 PM.
    Linda