Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Quiet Cockatiel

Name
    Gayle
    Thanks

Unhappy Quiet Cockatiel

We bought Rosie two weeks ago from a pet shop (it is our friends shop and we know his animals are well cared for and responsibly bred) She was in an avary with two small parakeets (not sure exactly what they were) We wanted two but she was the only cockatiel there at the time.

We were worried she'd be hard to tame because of her being in an avary rather than hand reared. As it happens she is great and comming along really well. She always steps up (has done from day one) and is pretty laid back. Small amounts of agression but nothing to worry about she's pretty gentle most of the time. She responds well to us and seems very aware and curious. She even started to finally play with her toys. She eats and drinks well.

The only worries are she is still very quiet. She has only squawked twice from her cage and she'll also do it while she's flying. Is this normal for her to be so quiet?

Second worry is that she rarely flys. Her wings are not clipped and she is more than capeable of flying. We let her our every night when we get in from work and she has a few circuts of the room but thats about all and sometimes she doesn't even bother prefering to sit on her cage and our hands.

I decided to set up a video camera to see if she was more vocal when we were at work. I was horrified to find that for the entire time she sat in the same spot making no noise at all! Is this normal? We are now desperately on the hunt for a friend for her in the hope that she will become more vocal and active while were at work and in the house. Do you think this is a good idea?

Please help we really want the best for our girl

Name
    Liz
    Thanks

Re: Quiet Cockatiel

If she's female it's completely normal for her to be pretty much silent. Our two only flock call for us (this will come as part of a bond) or chirp to communicate - they have different chirps to remind us that they're still in their cage, they want scritches, or something's wrong. As she bonds with you, she'll communicate with you more, but it you want a vocal bird, you really need a male. Females aren't vocal as a rule.

I would be more worried that she doesn't do anything while you're out. It's probably partly that you've only had her two weeks and she's still settling in, and partly that she's not used to playing with toys. Make sure she has toys that she enjoys, and try starting her on foraging. Foraging is ideal for encouraging parrots to be more active. They have to work to get food or treats and cockatiels for the most part are pretty food motivated. It'll really stimulate her to do more once she get the hang of it. If you go to my blog Feathers and Forage, I have articles on Captive Foraging and teaching birds to forage, along with a lot of foraging toys that I've (mostly) made and (a few) bought that my cockatiels absolutely love.

If you do decide to get a second 'tiel, it should be because you want one, and with no expectation that the two birds will get along. You need to remember that you'll have to go through a month of quarentine, and have two cages, etc, and at the end of it you'll have to introduce them carefully. They may never be able to get along together, and always have to be kept separate, and have separate times out of the cage.

Feathers and Forage - New Post - 08/02/10 - Cat balls and Corn Cobs

Thanks

My two are male so they get quite noisy especially now during puberty, but I remember they were also very quiet and barely chirped the first two or three weeks. Now they sing a lot. But yours is a female and apparently they are less vocal.

My boys didn't use to fly much either. Now they'll do a few rounds around the room or fly from one place to the other. Maybe when you are concerned she's not flying, you could teach her to fly to you. It's what I do at least so they always get some exercise. I stretch out my arm, hold millet for them and call for them to fly over to me. Then make them climb down and repeat.

Name
    Gayle
    Thanks

If her being quiet is normal then thats fine I dont mind a quiet bird at all. Its nice to know she called from her cage because she is starting to think of us as her flock.

What do you think about her not being much of a flyer? Is that pretty normal as well?

I already had a quick look at your foraging toys and I was planning on putting them in to action this weekend. Love the little ball with millet in she'll definately go for that she loves her millet!

Does anyone have any experience's they could share about pairing birds up? Is it more likely they will get on or more likely that they wont? I appreciate that this depends on the individual birds but I'm just looking to get a rough idea of how many people have been succsesful and how may failed.

As much help as possible will be very much appreciated thanks

Name
    Liz
    Thanks

If she's been living in a pet shop, then she probably hasn't had much chance to fly, which means her flight muscles won't be developed. She should get stronger with time, and then fly more. =) Kami was hesitant about flying when we first got her - she had an accident with fly paper - so she didn't fly much to begin with, but now she flys three laps of the room when she gets out, and flys to where ever she wants to get to. In a way its a good thing that she's hesitant, because then she'll get more used to the house before she starts flying at speed. We have floor to ceiling mirrors on the cupboards in a couple of rooms (there before we moved in) and we've never had any problems with our two and the mirrors or windows, mostly because they were used to the place before they were flying lots.

Our two have always lived together, but they've never really bonded closely. Neither of them are really that interested in the other for companionship and they're both bonded to me and my bf. Most of the time, they really just ignore each other. If they hadn't always lived together (they were hand reared together, although they were from different clutches), I really don't know if our two would get on, and they probably wouldn't be sharing a cage now.

Feathers and Forage - New Post - 08/02/10 - Cat balls and Corn Cobs

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Bailey was quiet for a while... and now she doesn't stop. We need ear plugs!
    Marie

R.I.P. little Bailey

Now slave to new budgies Dexter & Deb

If birds of a feather flock together... don't stand under them!!!!

Name
    Holly
    Thanks

It took Luna a couple weeks to really start making any noise. She started after we took her on a road trip. I think that kind of solidified us as a flock. Now she definitely has no problems flock calling me when she can't see me. Otherwise, she's pretty quiet when I'm in view.

Name
    Jessica
    Thanks

I agree with Liz -- some birds need more time to develop flying skill than others. Horseshoe is an excellent flyer, but her mom, who was from a pet store, never quite reached the same level.

I've mostly had girl cockatiels, and besides a very loud flock call, and a few sweet little chirps, they are very quiet birds. A lack of activity might mean that she's still nervous. Maybe you can play some music in the background while you're away? That might help.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Uh oh. That makes me nervous. I've had my male cockatiel for a few days now and i'm already noticing him getting much louder. I like it better when they're quiet... =\

ashh; your so dang cutee Egg's Cracking... Karly-Ryan's Avatar
    Name
    Karly and Ryan
    Thanks

My cockatiel was male and so quite when we moved him in but I think it was the new surroundings, now I cant shut him up his always singing. Though females are normally more quite my parents have a girl cockatiel and she is so loud, she was hand reared though and always get's whatever she wants, so I think she acts all spoiled. It all depends on the personality I guess. Ohh and my cockatiel is not much of a flyer he always climbs and walks/runs everywhere, his wings are clipped though, but he does not even try. When you get a new bird you should take it to the vet for just a check up, I did with mine, completely put my mind at ease with everything hehe
    ziggy you really were amazing; come back too me

Name
    Erin
    Thanks

My tiel Mateo never really flies. He's about six years old. Just never likes to fly. He's loud and chirps and cheeps a lot, but he's a perch potato.
    Mateo (cockatiel), Chirpa (parakeet), Nigel/la (parakeet), Nico (parakeet), WeeWoo (parakeet) and Peri (parakeet).

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

My tiel is clipped, so not sure about how much he'd want to fly. He does fly to me, or at least as close as he can get then climbs onto my foot waiting ot be picked up. This didn't start until after about a month though.

As for vocal... even my boy who is VERY vocal now (i've caught him whistling classical music that I play for him when no one is home and jingle bells o.O) didn't make much noise the first month. He needed to get comfortable.

Name
    Gayle
    Thanks

Thanks everyone. I feel so much happier knowing she is just doing what comes naturally. I guess I just thought she'd fly more because her cage at the shop was an actual avary so she could have done a lot of flying if she wanted. She obviously just doesn't want to, lazy bird lol. As for the noise thats fine too she can be as quiet or loud as she wants. I've started to leave music on for her when i'm at work. She seems to really like the singing on Glee as well, mainly when the dark haired girls sings lol.

Name
    Gayle
    Thanks

Just a quick update.

Rosie is now a monster!! lol she is making a lot of noise and calls for us if we leave the room. I just left her after my lunch and she wen't metal as I was leaving. She likes classical music stations so I've left her listening to that. She's playing with all her toys and in to absolutely everything. Its so good to see her have fun now she's settled in.

Remove Ads