Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Thinking of breeding, I know I'm crazy.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Tia
    Thanks

Thinking of breeding, I know I'm crazy.

The more people who see Siggy the more they rave over coloring (WF cinny pearl). Which to me, while being a triple mutation, isn't super "rare". She is, however, stunningly marked and with all her tail and wing barring I have no doubt she's definitely a she.

But now I'm debating another Cockatiel (hooked on 'em) and debating a male to maybe breed down the line. What do you folks suggest I look for mutation wise in a male? at almost 4 am I'm not gonna pull her out to snap photos of the really wicked patterning she has down her back, but I promise photos in the morning! For now? Side on Siggy that many of you have already seen.

I do know in her clutch there were two dominant silver chicks (no patches on the face and storm cloud gray) I believe one was a not so flamboyantly marked pied. One was a pastel face normal pied. The other was a pastel face HEAVILY pearled and mostly yellow normal and I do mean gorgeous. If her personality had been like Siggy's I would have taken her home instead.

I do want interesting morphs. So give me your thoughts folks. Is there any way to genetically test for mutations/colors like they do horses? Someday I'd LOVE to have some extreme white face cinnamon pearl pied tiels.

-Tia

Name
    Susanne
    Thanks

Re: Thinking of breeding, I know I'm crazy.

Siggy is a pretty girl

OK...from the info given above she may also be split to pied. Some of her pearling is not as nicely marked toward the lower and center of the back. I'm not sure if you want to improve the markings or produce more like her (??)

The one thing I would advise against is breeding visual to visual whiteface together, regardless of the mutations. I would seek out a normal (any orange cheek patched bird) that is split to whiteface, cinnaon and pied, and pearl if you can see the pearled pattern in his background.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit my Website: http://justcockatiels.weebly.com/
    SPECIAL NOTICE:
    1999-2012 Susanne Russo All rights reserved on my personal postings and digital images. This material is NOT property of this forum, and also can not be taken, re-worded/edited and posted elsewhere without my permission.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Tia
    Thanks

I'd love to produce heavier more extreme pearls an possibly pied pearls. So maybe look for a cinnamon pearl split to WF?

Hatching
    Thanks

You have the most beautiful birds, Tia.

Name
    Susanne
    Thanks

Most adult males will have already molted their pearls by the time they are breeder age. To improve the pearling you would have to see a couple generations of the pearling on the male you would like to use. You'd prefer nice large well-defined lacey looking pearls that are even and consistant on the back of the bird.

A nice pearl pied split to Ciinamon WF may be a good choice. I'm hesitant to put cinnamon to cinnamon together, especially when pearl is involved. You have dominant silver in the background. many times pearl combined with dominant silver has a negative effect and contributes to balness or thin feathering behind the crest. Given that info, it might be wise to pair her with a male that is only 'split to cinnamon. Since she is split to pied, a visual pearl pied with the needed splits would be good. Plus pied tends to contribute to thicker feathering behind the crest.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    SPECIAL NOTICE:
    1999-2012 Susanne Russo All rights reserved on my personal postings and digital images. This material is NOT property of this forum, and also can not be taken, re-worded/edited and posted elsewhere without my permission.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Tia
    Thanks

Adelphi: Thank you! I'll be sure to inflate their egos a bit telling them you think so

Susan: That makes a lot of sense to me. I guess now the trick is finding someone with such a cock for sale. I like hand tamed birds so I think at this point in time it's going to be like searching for the holy grail. Good news is I have family in Florida and travel down there a few times a year so I can take a peek at who has what when I'm down there and hopefully someone will come up with a compatible bird eventually.

Name
    Susanne
    Thanks

What part of Fl is you family located at?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    SPECIAL NOTICE:

Name
    Crystal
    Thanks

I just wanted to add in that you may want to wait a little bit to make sure this hen is not a dominate silver cinna whiteface, because if it is you may want to find a male without any cinna to enhance the dominate silver.

I only mention because I have a pair that may have been throwing me cinna whiteface pieds and pearl pieds (I still need to do some teat breeding). If you read on here you will see some pictures. The male was not supposed to be cinnamon nor was he supposed to be split to it, but because of what the pair has given me I think it is not true. Anyway their babies could very easily be mistaken for cinna and not dominate silver.

If I were you I would take a lot of pictures of her back, so that you...and we ... can see if there is a difference in her coloring after she molts.

Just a thought.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Tia
    Thanks

In coming pictures of Siggy's back!

A lovely Tiel breeder who has two boys I'm interested in has offered to show me the ropes of show birds. I figured it wouldn't hurt to show Siggy just for giggles. I don't have much else to do on a weekend and the show is a stone's throw from me.

Anyway I decided to pull photos of Sig's back. I saw her siblings again today and there's DEFINITELY an extreme Pastel Face Cinnamon Pearl in there and two dominant silvers that have no cheek patches (solid storm cloud gray with minimal pied markings) and one pastel face normal gray that I've been thinking about purchasing. We'll see. I'm debating it. When I say excessive pearling I mean like oh my god lace wings and all. I'll have to take pictures of them.

I'm assuming at bird shows Siggy's clipped wings will be a strike against her. I didn't clip them, she came like that. I also wish she wasn't a constantly cage climber, she's starting to break feathers

Anyway, here's Siggy's back a little disgruntled because she was nuzzling on me and preening my arm hair when I disturbed her;

Name
    Susanne
    Thanks

Ah...she looks like she is a sweetie.

She might lose points because the pearled pattern is not complete or uniform. And she is not dominant silver because the incomplete pearled areas would be washed out in the centers, and by now the beak and feet would have changed to a dark charcoal to black color. Some of that could be from being split to pied....not sure. She appears to have good length of the tail. She appears to have a straight back and not hinged (meaning that it bends down)...which is good.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    SPECIAL NOTICE:

Name
    Crystal
    Thanks

That's right I forgot that the dominate silvers that are not pied have the dark beaks, I am just used to my birds. They have light beaks and feet, but it's the pied.

She has nice coloring though, I love her tail, good choice.

Also I think you are right when it comes to buying handfed babies. The babies that I have from my hand fed parents, seem to be over all sweeter then my babies from "wild" parents. I don't know if one has to do with the other, or if it is just the temperment of the babies from these two anyway, but that just seems to have made a difference.
    Last edited by avecbleu; 01-26-2010 at 05:58 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Tia
    Thanks

I didn't think she was lol I was looking at her beak and feet going "... You? Silver? Naaaah. Your brothers? Yes." LOL

It should be fun. I may or may not go because I have a dog show coming up right around the same time and I am paranoid about disease. I'd be so upset if something happened to Siggy. To me it's just not worth it.

Handfed babies all the way. They say they make crappy breeders but I'm not out to make a buck off breeding and I have the time to spend hand rearing so so be it. I'd like to have tons of happy Siggy personalities LOL!

Name
    Susanne
    Thanks

What you can do is go yourself to the first show to see how it goes, what the judges say, and ask the other exhibitors lots of questions. Show pix's of Siggy, and enjoy yourself.

This way the next time around you'll know what to do, and what to expect.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    SPECIAL NOTICE:

Remove Ads