where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me decide!

Amorous Tailfeather
    Thanks

Help me decide!

On a centerpeice fish for my 10gal at work. What I want;

Scarlet Badis (Dario dario). Small, about one inch. pretty, non-aggressive. Kinda hard to find in town, but they have them now. Not very active fish (they behave like gouramis or bettas, only they hang out all over not just the surface). Not expensive, $6 per fish. Oh and they will not eat flakes or pellets. Only worms, shrimps, daphnia, etc.

apistogramma cacatuoides
    Gorgeous fish, obviously. Can be aggressive during spawning or if you have more than one male. 2-2.5 inches. Very hard to find, very expensive. $20 per fish. I may have to end up shipping them up if I want some. Very cool, active personalities.

kribensis
    Same size as apistos, essentially same presonality (since they are both SA dwarf cichlids). Not hard to find, not expensive. $6 a fish.

I can't decide! Should I go for the kribs or badis since they have them in town? Or be patient and wait for some apistos???
    Last edited by McDenny; 01-28-2010 at 04:43 PM.

Name
    Kate
    Thanks

Re: Help me decide!

I would go for the second one, gorgeous fish! The first one was cute as well. If you have room, you could mix them?

Phoebe White Capped Pionus Luna PF Lovebird Indra PF Lovebird

Name
    Iffer
    Thanks

In my experience, kribs get larger and more aggressive than apistos, and if you keep anything else with them in a tank that size there could be trouble.
    I'd get apistos if I could find them, but I wouldn't want them shipped if it were a pet store. Often times retailers will be sent just one sex, or fish that aren't colourful.
    My choice would be the badis - they are awesome fish, can be difficult to find and are more compatible with other fish.

Might I also suggest, if you'd be at all interested, a small shoal of lamp-eye killies, dwarf pencilfish (Nannostomus marginatus) or purple emperor tetras? All are beautiful, peaceful, and interesting fish. They are small enough that you could have a few individuals, and perhaps even room for a few dwarf cories. I like hastatus more than pygmaeus, but either are awesome.

Name
    Iffer
    Thanks

Oh, and Hillary - I'm a giant fish nerd. I've been in the hobby my whole life. If you want a quick response or to pick my brain/fish nerd feel free to ding me on FB as well, I'll see it faster.

Amorous Tailfeather
    Thanks

Awesome! I'm leaving work here soon so maybe I will fb you. What's your FB name again?

I think I am convinced on the Badis though....I wanna go now but I have to be at mini golf at 6 So if they are still there tomorrow at lunch....then it was meant to be.

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

I love the second guy! What a cute face!

Amorous Tailfeather
    Thanks

I'm going to call one more fish store today....and if they don't have apistos in (fish number 2), then I'm going to go pick up some badis.

At least I won't have to deal with spawning aggression like I would with kribs and apistos....but lil baby cichlids would be co cute.

Name
    Iffer
    Thanks

Badis are actually really easy to breed...

Amorous Tailfeather
    Thanks

They don't have any females at my lfs though, and I hear they are kinda hard to find?

I'm just trying to think of a fish that would go well with them, any ideas?. I'm a fan of tight schoolers, not sure that's gonna happen in a 10gal tall though. I do have some celestial pearl danios in my 29 I could bring in (the fish in the background of the first pic), but they don't seem to school much. I really want some microrasbora (like chillis), but I can't find them. I'm thinking possible golden cloud minnows, they had them at the same place I got my CPDs

Also - if I do wind up with the badis, how many should I get for a 10 (considering i might have a small school of something else soon...)

Amorous Tailfeather
    Thanks

They only had two so I snapped them up. They are SO tiny and cute.

My concern is that I won't ever see the things in my tank! They only get like an inch!

Name
    Iffer
    Thanks

Well consider that a one inch badis is a LOT different from a one inch molly, or goldfish, etc. Body mass is more important that inches and stuff like that.

If it were me, I'd get the badis...and then like a small school of something like lampeye killies or the golden cloud minnows (5?6?) - those are really pretty too.
    I guess my point is that if the tank is well filtered, planted, and well maintained 12-15 teeny tiny fish is different then say even five 1-1.5" mollies or what have you.

I once had a teeny little planted tank, maybe 6 gallons. I had 5 dwarf corries and 4 lampeyes, and there was never an issue - but that little desktop tank was my baby. xD

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kelsang
    Thanks

I'm more of a goldfish person then tropical but I would have picked the apistogramma cacatuoides or just a normal betta.

Tashi the Sun Conure

Lucky, the Budgie

Amorous Tailfeather
    Thanks

Apistos are 25 a fish, plus 28 to ship. Suuure you would have *joke*

One of the Badis died Monday, no idea why, but I am really, really bummed out about it. I know it's just a fish, but I barely had them 3 days. The other one is barely eating anything, I'm trying to find live food but so far no luck

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kelsang
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by McDenny View Post
    Apistos are 25 a fish, plus 28 to ship. Suuure you would have *joke*

One of the Badis died Monday, no idea why, but I am really, really bummed out about it. I know it's just a fish, but I barely had them 3 days. The other one is barely eating anything, I'm trying to find live food but so far no luck
    Ouch! I would never buy a fish that "expensive"
    That's why I always buy at my lfs (best fish store in state! ) but lately they've got worse

Downers too on your fishey

Tashi the Sun Conure

Lucky, the Budgie

Amorous Tailfeather
    Thanks

I love ember tetras, they are beautiful! I won't be getting any fish until I know for sure there are no other problems, though. I did find a dead shrimp Monday, but I'm guessing it's coincidence.

I feel frozen brine shrimp, freeze dried/frozen bloodworms, and daphnia for my fry. With the frozen stuff, I do dissolve it first in warm water...haven't tried the eye dropper yet though. I'm gonna have to try live, he isn't eating. He was swimming around today though, looking for food...gahh I hope he lives.

Thanks guys

Remove Ads