Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Monique
    Thanks

What does it mean when?

Delgado will tap his beak against his food dish when it's full, or against the cage some times. What does this mean?

He also drags his beak across the cage bars sometimes....and taps the cage but he usually does that when he wants attentention.

By the way, he got out of his cage for quite a bit! I'm so proud! Now he's back inside it eating and drinking...I'm about to go over and coax him out again...

Name
    Brittany
    Thanks

Re: What does it mean when?

He's just entertaining himself. Sunny does it all the time, even in the nest box. She loves to tap on every object she can just to see what it sounds like, and if she likes the sound she'll puff out and do her happy head bob.

She also likes to shove her head in a freshly filled food bowl as deep as she can get it, for no apparent reason.

You will find that Sun Conures are verrry strange .
    ♥I Miss My Fids♥

Previously Tikigurl

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tikigurl View Post

You will find that Sun Conures are verrry strange .
    I agree! I get to occassionally play with a trio of them and boy are they nuts. I absolutely adore them, though. The one likes to hang upside down above his bowl and toss his food out of it that way. Such a strange little creature.

We had one at my work that slept upside down in his food dish. It was the strangest thing I've ever seen. I have NO idea how that was comfortable. But you'd walk in the room and there he'd be, upside down. He'd wake up and yell at you for waking him.

Banned Chick
    Name
    Sara
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RoughCollies View Post
    The one likes to hang upside down above his bowl and toss his food out of it that way.
    Romeo does the EXACT same thing!

All our birds like to tap, and rub their beaks on everything. Our GCCs really love to tap on everything. We call them our little spelunkers, and they love to be in dark, cave like places, listening to their voices echo. Echoing voices & tapping are their 2 favorite activitites.

Romeo & Karma both will spend 30 minutes rubbing their beaks on every single cage surface. First the bars, then perches, then toys. Romeo also likes to tap. There have been many times we thought someone was at the door, but it was just Romeo tapping on the wall.

Animal Nut! Growing... Courtney's Avatar
    Name
    Courtney
    Thanks

Boomer and Chiquita wipe their beaks on the cage to get the food off their beak. Boomer will band his beak on the cage when he wants out.

Mom to Two Jack Russell Terriers (Rocky & Jack), 4 fish tanks, Two Parrots, Indian Ringneck (Chiquita) & Green Cheek Conure (Boomer).

Name
    Paula
    Thanks

This is how I found this site searching this exact question! LOL Kiwi does the wipe down with his beak after he eats I've noticed and he also bangs his beak when he wants out of his cage. But mostly he only does the bang on me. He will sit on me and bang bang away and wipe wipe. I read too that it can mean they are claiming something as theirs? If so I feel very loved
    Kiwi's Mom