Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: New Member I have a 22 year old Peach Fronted Conure....

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Talking New Member I have a 22 year old Peach Fronted Conure....

My PFC is having some issues with seeds and throwing them up. He had this issue a few years ago and I changed his bird seed brand and started making him healthy pumpkin, flaxseed, walnut, oats, rye, wheat, barley muffins. He loves them. But now he is even throwing up the walnuts that are in them.

So I will start food processing them down to a fine dust.

Anyone else having this problem with older Peach Fronted Conures or conures in general or birds in general?

p.s. He did have conure bleeding syndrome as a baby, and he came through it. I gave him spinach and other veges and he seemed to healthy after that.

He digests veges and his muffins fine. So I think it is related to chunkier foods that he is not chewing up good. Do birds normally not chew their food up?
    Last edited by leo3; 02-12-2010 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Clear up misunderstanding that he is sick, he isn't chewing/digesting seeds only, not other food.

Amorous Tailfeather
    Thanks

Re: New Member I have a 22 year old Peach Fronted Conure....

Hi, welcome to TF!

It seems to me that your bird really needs to see a vet. Birds in general are very good at hiding their symptoms when they are sick, and if he is showing symptoms then it means he is sick enough to need a vet. I would hate to see you wait and have the problem only get worse and worse.

Perhaps make a post in the conures section, you will get more replies that way

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Re: New Member I have a 22 year old Peach Fronted Conure....

I know people mean well, but saying he needs to see a vet is not why I am posting this. He is eating other foods fine, and has not lost any weight. He just is not chewing and digesting seeds well. I think he is not chewing them up enough, or his older digestive system is not digesting like he use to. People have digestive problems as they age, and they are not sick. They adjust by changing their diet. I just wondered if anyone else has had this experience with an older bird.

If he were sick he would not be able to digest anything or keep anything down. It is isolated to seeds only. He eats many other foods that stay down fine.

Thanks.