where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 22 year old Peach Fronted Conure digestion of seeds

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: 22 year old Peach Fronted Conure digestion of seeds

Dr. Fosters is a good seed blend so it shouldn't be his seeds doing this to him. In my head I am wondering if he could have possibly hurt his crop somehow recently? Does he throw up the seeds right away after eating them? Or do they sit around in there for a bit and then come up? Boomer had a crop issues and we think possibly a tumor or really bad ulcer in his crop and he would eat the dried corn out of the seed mix sometimes and be able to swallow it but after sitting in there for many a couple of minutes he would throw them back up again. I know they hurt him being in his crop and I think it may be the sharp edges of the corn that hurt him. But another clue he had crop troubles was that he also couldnt eat cuttlebones or mineral blocks anymore because the roughness made him get gas and get sickly.

Boomer was a Lovebird and developed his troubles around 8 1/2 years old and died before he turned 12. When he first got sick I did take him right to the vets to have them help him, they didnt and they didnt know what was wrong with him for over a year when finally they found Avian gastric yeast in him. They treated him and he got better but the damage inside was done and he forever had yeast infections that flared up in him. Before he was diagnosed with the yeast by watching him closely, like I said we know our birds well, I figured out exactly what he could eat and what he couldnt eat. He was easy to tell when he wasnt well, he stretched his little head back to the left to open the right side where his crop is so that he could release his gas out of his belly. Yeast makes them all gassy with lots of stomach issues.

I still am going to stand strong here and say if the seeds make your conure sick just dont give them to him anymore. As long as your conures poops look good and he is acting fine for some strange reason he just cannot digest seeds anymore. I still wonder if maybe he has crop issues but then who knows... Please if you see your conure show any signs of sickness when it isnt getting seeds do take him right to the vets, they really are the best people to help. Boomer did go often to his vet but it was me who changed his diet and truly helped him by doing so. Even boomers vet was amazed he lived so long with yeast and she too said it was because I knew how to help him through closely watching him and changing his diet. But he did see his vet at the most every 6 months and sometimes much more then that if needed. I cant say not taking your Conure to a vet is a good idea but I can say NOT giving him seeds anymore is a really good thing for him, if he cant eat them then just dont give them to him anymore.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boomer girl View Post
    Dr. Fosters is a good seed blend so it shouldn't be his seeds doing this to him. In my head I am wondering if he could have possibly hurt his crop somehow recently? Does he throw up the seeds right away after eating them? Or do they sit around in there for a bit and then come up? Boomer had a crop issues and we think possibly a tumor or really bad ulcer in his crop and he would eat the dried corn out of the seed mix sometimes and be able to swallow it but after sitting in there for many a couple of minutes he would throw them back up again. I know they hurt him being in his crop and I think it may be the sharp edges of the corn that hurt him. But another clue he had crop troubles was that he also couldnt eat cuttlebones or mineral blocks anymore because the roughness made him get gas and get sickly.

Boomer was a Lovebird and developed his troubles around 8 1/2 years old and died before he turned 12. When he first got sick I did take him right to the vets to have them help him, they didnt and they didnt know what was wrong with him for over a year when finally they found Avian gastric yeast in him. They treated him and he got better but the damage inside was done and he forever had yeast infections that flared up in him. Before he was diagnosed with the yeast by watching him closely, like I said we know our birds well, I figured out exactly what he could eat and what he couldnt eat. He was easy to tell when he wasnt well, he stretched his little head back to the left to open the right side where his crop is so that he could release his gas out of his belly. Yeast makes them all gassy with lots of stomach issues.

I still am going to stand strong here and say if the seeds make your conure sick just dont give them to him anymore. As long as your conures poops look good and he is acting fine for some strange reason he just cannot digest seeds anymore. I still wonder if maybe he has crop issues but then who knows... Please if you see your conure show any signs of sickness when it isnt getting seeds do take him right to the vets, they really are the best people to help. Boomer did go often to his vet but it was me who changed his diet and truly helped him by doing so. Even boomers vet was amazed he lived so long with yeast and she too said it was because I knew how to help him through closely watching him and changing his diet. But he did see his vet at the most every 6 months and sometimes much more then that if needed. I cant say not taking your Conure to a vet is a good idea but I can say NOT giving him seeds anymore is a really good thing for him, if he cant eat them then just dont give them to him anymore.
    No I don't think he hurt his crop, when I give him cooked foods I always test it for warmth/heat. I suppose it could be yeast, but I don't give him foods with sugar. Also since it is only seeds I don't think so. It is definitely seeds. His poop is good, and regular. His weight is maintained and good. He also plays and has a good time. When he ate seeds he expelled them pretty fast, they were hole seeds too. The sunflowers were chunks. Seems to me he should have chewed them up more. He never throws up anything else. I do see him try to regurgitate to toys, but it is not the same thing at all. Just hormonal and seasonal too.

So I have cut out his seeds, and give him only his muffins, corn on the cob, pea pods, broccoli, spinach, carrots,carrot tops. Then for treats a few spaghetti pieces, soft bread (all healthy).

He is doing fine. I am not sure why he can not eat and digest seeds. Too bad he loves them so much too. I did give him 5 sunflower seeds yesterday and he did fine. I think either he overeats, or gorges, or eats too fast. Not sure. But I have to really monitor what he eats in quantities.

I know when I use to eat popcorn and have a plate on my lap he would come over and gorge on the popcorn; I had to leave the room, he would truly be a hog if I let him.

Boomer was lucky you watched what you gave him and saw what happen.

I guess I was feeling bad not giving him his favorite foods, but if I give him a few, very few, seeds once in a while he is okay. I think he gets enough nutrition without the seeds, so I will probably try to get him completely off of seeds.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I had to take away boomers loved safflower seeds at one time because he just would throw them right back up again almost like your conure does with his seeds. His were barely chewed up also, guess they are little piggies when it comes to seeds. I wonder if maybe he is getting some of the husks into his crop and that is irritating it enough for him to have to throw it up? Seeds were one thing boomer could usually get down and keep down. Like Helen said you could try giving him some pellets to supplement his people food he is getting, it may give him some of the things his diet is lacking by eating people food all the time. Eggs are great protein sources for our birds and I hear most birds love them.

If he has yeast the poops will change to more water in them and the color will turn more green. They can pick up yeast off starchy foods like pastas, breads and white flours and not just sugar. Boomers yeast hated pasta and it made him sick fast. Just watch him carefully and it sounds like you will be able to tell if he is sick or not.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Talking Re: 22 year old Peach Fronted Conure digestion of seeds

I had to take away boomers loved safflower seeds at one time because he just would throw them right back up again almost like your conure does with his seeds. His were barely chewed up also, guess they are little piggies when it comes to seeds. I wonder if maybe he is getting some of the husks into his crop and that is irritating it enough for him to have to throw it up? Seeds were one thing boomer could usually get down and keep down. Like Helen said you could try giving him some pellets to supplement his people food he is getting, it may give him some of the things his diet is lacking by eating people food all the time. Eggs are great protein sources for our birds and I hear most birds love them.

If he has yeast the poops will change to more water in them and the color will turn more green. They can pick up yeast off starchy foods like pastas, breads and white flours and not just sugar. Boomers yeast hated pasta and it made him sick fast. Just watch him carefully and it sounds like you will be able to tell if he is sick or not.
    Maybe it is crop irritation, safflower is the worse offender when he eats those too. When I gave him popcorn I noticed this started to happen. So I stopped the popcorn completely. The popcorn could scratch and irritate. I think you are right about them being piggies. I use to offer seeds in the cup (free feeding) then for some reason he would eat and eat... too much.

Thanks for reminding me about white flour turning to sugar. My muffins I make I use whole wheat, and no sugar. So I will watch not giving him white flour and pasta too much right now.

Also the info on what the poop looks like with yeast problems I never heard of before. That could also be from eating lots of fruits and veges though right? When he eats blueberries his has blue poop, LOL. So I know he eats those. When he eats carrots I see peach color poop. Wonder why the yeast problems make it watering and green.

Funny all these years he had self control at the food cup with seeds; not anymore. I gave him 5 sunflower seeds yesterday, no problem. But he gets to excited and literally runs over to the seed cup. See if I fed he more he would eat the whole cupful.

I have tried to feed him eggs every week, he just won't. He is eating banana now, he never would before. Cause he isn't filling up on seeds he is more open minded somewhat.

I do believe when I started not feeding him scratchy popcorn (it even bothers me) and took away 99.9% of seeds he is back to normal. I have tried pellets he refuses those too.

My muffins have flaxseed grounded up, walnuts grounded mostly up, oats, wheat, rye, barley (organic) olive oil, whole wheat flour, blueberries. So hopefully he is getting good nutrition, then all the fresh veges he gets and apple and orange, some grapes sometimes. Oh yeah, he grinds pistachios up to a fine dust and digests those fine. I don't know why he does not do that with seeds. He eats those in chunks. So he does get protein from the pistachios if I stop the sunflowers altogether. I do have to limit pistachios too, he flies over and sits on the container and tries to keep getting more.

Thanks for your input.
    Last edited by leo3; 02-17-2010 at 12:40 PM.

٩(●̮̮̃̃)۶ Four More Babies Hatched! Skittles's Avatar
    Name
    Lauren
    Thanks

I am not familiar with conures, but I do have a senior lovebird who is 16 this year.

But she hasn't experienced anything along the lines of rejecting a certain type of food. If anything she has become more accepting to new foods.

If your Conure's poops look healthy (not loose or watery) and he is active (which by the sounds of things, he is) I would continue to monitor him.

You did say he was really REALLY excited to receive seeds in his bowl, so I wouldn't doubt he's a bit of a pig and scarfing them down.

I wouldn't recommend trying to convert him to pellets. He is eating more than enough fresh foods to gain all the nutrients and vitamins he needs.
    If he were ONLY eating seeds, then a pelleted diet would help improve.

What type of muffins? Are you using a recipe that us humans can eat? If so, I would maybe recommend trying a birdy bread recipe that is designed a bit more for the feathered kind

And don't worry about his poop changing colour with blueberries or other foods Skittles' will go bright orange if she eats a fruit nutriberry. When she eats more fruit as well, they become watery.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

It is hard to say if something is going on in there crops and even if you were to take your bird to the vets it is still super hard to tell if they have a irritated crop or not. Boomers took about 2 years before you could see a shadow in it telling us something was in there. They could stick a scope down there but this is much too hard on our older birds and I wouldn't even think of doing that. As far as yeasty poops, sometimes people say they will smell. Boomers would get tiny bubbles in them, have clear liquid water with a darker green feces and less white then normal. I dont think it is yeast really but it could possibly be his crop was or is irritated and as he is getting older it could be bothering him a bit more. Like our old bodies as we age, things get sore.

This is a link to a bird salad that lots of people here feed there birds and it may something your conure might like and it would be a great thing to add to her diet. http://www.avianweb.com/herbsalad.html

What is your birds name? We have talked about him lots and it would be nice to call him by his name.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

It is hard to say if something is going on in there crops and even if you were to take your bird to the vets it is still super hard to tell if they have a irritated crop or not. Boomers took about 2 years before you could see a shadow in it telling us something was in there. They could stick a scope down there but this is much too hard on our older birds and I wouldn't even think of doing that. As far as yeasty poops, sometimes people say they will smell. Boomers would get tiny bubbles in them, have clear liquid water with a darker green feces and less white then normal. I dont think it is yeast really but it could possibly be his crop was or is irritated and as he is getting older it could be bothering him a bit more. Like our old bodies as we age, things get sore.

This is a link to a bird salad that lots of people here feed there birds and it may something your conure might like and it would be a great thing to add to her diet. http://www.avianweb.com/herbsalad.html

What is your birds name? We have talked about him lots and it would be nice to call him by his name.
    My boy's name is Peachy, or Peaches, or monkey boy when he climbs his booda ropes. LOL. He has so many pet names my husband and I call him and he answers to them all! He has to be a boy since he has laid no eggs, and he has a flat head. I read that is an indication of a male conure, LOL.

Thanks for all your info, I will look up the herb salad.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skittles View Post
    I am not familiar with conures, but I do have a senior lovebird who is 16 this year.

But she hasn't experienced anything along the lines of rejecting a certain type of food. If anything she has become more accepting to new foods.

If your Conure's poops look healthy (not loose or watery) and he is active (which by the sounds of things, he is) I would continue to monitor him.

You did say he was really REALLY excited to receive seeds in his bowl, so I wouldn't doubt he's a bit of a pig and scarfing them down.

I wouldn't recommend trying to convert him to pellets. He is eating more than enough fresh foods to gain all the nutrients and vitamins he needs.
    If he were ONLY eating seeds, then a pelleted diet would help improve.

What type of muffins? Are you using a recipe that us humans can eat? If so, I would maybe recommend trying a birdy bread recipe that is designed a bit more for the feathered kind

And don't worry about his poop changing colour with blueberries or other foods Skittles' will go bright orange if she eats a fruit nutriberry. When she eats more fruit as well, they become watery.
    Yes, my muffins are from a human recipe (LOL) and I modified for him to make them healthier. They really are tasty too, I only get to taste them when I bake them so I can save them for Peachy.

Do you have suggestions on what to add to the recipe? Since this is his main meal, unless you add the carrots, carrot tops, broccoli, spinach, pea pods, corn on the cob, cheerios, wheat squares. He loves carrots tops, broccoli, pea pods and corn on the cob and digests all of those well.

He has become a bigger pig when I get the pistachios out and the seeds. I have to go hide and give him his portion and come back. If I were to go to the container and get some he would fly to my shoulder, the to the container and eat all he could!

I guess in the wild this is what they would have to do in order to survive so I do understand the piggy behavior. I just have had to NOT give in to this behavior. You do love to spoil and pamper your pet, but not beyond their health.

I have a neighbor with a dachshund that is so overweight that he can hardly walk and his fat drags on the ground. I feel soooo bad for this dog. This is not a good spoiled way to treat a dog.

Skittles is so lucky to have you to take care of her and the fact that she is 16 is such a great feeling isn't it? I bet she is a sweety. Birds are so precious and so entertaining.
    Last edited by leo3; 02-18-2010 at 01:44 PM.

Name
    Marilyn
    Thanks

Kinda late coming into this discussion, but if you conure is maintaining his weight, is playing and everything else is normal, sounds to me like he is okay. I know that sometimes birds just like people will develop an allergy to foods as they age. Maybe that is what is happening here, the seeds aren't reacting well and he is getting rid of them the best he can. You say when it did eat sunflower seeds he passed them whole, so keep giving him the muffins and veggies and whatever other foods he will eat and keep down. I normally judge a birds health by whether it can maintain its weight and sounds like your conure is......just enjoy your bird, he sounds fine.

I don't think we always have to run to a vet with our birds and I do believe that as the bird ages, digestion, feather quality, activity level....all of that changes.

Just love your conure Leo.............
    "She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot." Mark Twain

1 Cockatiel: Bandit
    1 White Capped Pionus: Cotton
    2 Sun Conure : Pebbles and Petrie
    2 Normal GCC: Winkie and Tiki
    1 Pineapple GCC: Patches
    1 Cinnamon GCC: Cricket
    1 Yellowsided GCC: Angel
    1 Quaker: Dusty
    1 BlackCapped Conure: Olive

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I think Peachy is fine too and just cant eat too many seeds anymore, poor guy it must not be good not to be able to eat something you loved all your life. It sounds like you take good care of him and if he was sick you would know it.

Is Peachy a sun conure? seems it would fit his name. I know I am just full of curiosity but it isnt just me who has to know everything about "our" new birds here. Also we LOVE pictures here

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Red face Re: 22 year old Peach Fronted Conure digestion of seeds

Quote Originally Posted by Mfc View Post
    Kinda late coming into this discussion, but if you conure is maintaining his weight, is playing and everything else is normal, sounds to me like he is okay. I know that sometimes birds just like people will develop an allergy to foods as they age. Maybe that is what is happening here, the seeds aren't reacting well and he is getting rid of them the best he can. You say when it did eat sunflower seeds he passed them whole, so keep giving him the muffins and veggies and whatever other foods he will eat and keep down. I normally judge a birds health by whether it can maintain its weight and sounds like your conure is......just enjoy your bird, he sounds fine.

I don't think we always have to run to a vet with our birds and I do believe that as the bird ages, digestion, feather quality, activity level....all of that changes.

Just love your conure Leo.............
    Thank you I agree with you completely. He just acts like I am starving him if I go into a drawer (I kept his seeds in the drawer) and he flies over to my should to see what he can get! He has plenty to eat, he just is homesick for his seeds.

I did give him 5 sunflowers yesterday and he did fine with that. After 22 years of seeds he just got quite comfortable with them, LOL. I will keep a close eye on him, as usual, to see how he does if I only give him a few seeds; if he starts throwing them up again; no more seeds.

Yes either allergy or he just can't digest them like he use to.

What kind of birds do you have? I was reading your signature with GC, is that green cheek?

I agree they do change with age. Also he is more active than he use to be since I cut back his seeds. I think his homemade muffins and veges are what does agree with him. He is happy, and he is loved. I think it was me that had to adjust not giving him everything he wants, when I see how he loves seeds. I think moderation is the key with him.

Thanks for you input. It wasn't too late to enter the conversation.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I think Peachy is fine too and just cant eat too many seeds anymore, poor guy it must not be good not to be able to eat something you loved all your life. It sounds like you take good care of him and if he was sick you would know it.

Is Peachy a sun conure? seems it would fit his name. I know I am just full of curiosity but it isnt just me who has to know everything about "our" new birds here. Also we LOVE pictures here
    No Peachy is a PFC Peach Fronted Conure; his name does fit though doesn't it LOL.

Yes, I do take good care of him, thanks. He knows he is loved and pampered. It is hard not to give him all the seeds he wants, but he is doing very well now that I limit his seeds to only 5 sunflower seeds. But 5 is better than nothing. No safflowers or anything else. He does have millet spray in his cage.

Do you have any other birds? I know how much you loved Boomer by what you said about him and all the care and love you gave him.

Peachy is camera shy, it is true. He doesn't like something in my face or his, LOL.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Boomer was my one and only bird and I really did love him. I sometimes think about getting another one sometimes but so far I still have decided to not have any pets for a bit. We pet sit in our neighborhood so we get our pet fixes with other peoples pets without all the worries.

I feel sorry for your Peachy, he really must not know why he cant get his seeds. It reminds me a bit of boomer when I had to take away his things and he would just almost beg for it when he couldnt have it. Breaks your heart but it is for the best.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Boomer was my one and only bird and I really did love him. I sometimes think about getting another one sometimes but so far I still have decided to not have any pets for a bit. We pet sit in our neighborhood so we get our pet fixes with other peoples pets without all the worries.

I feel sorry for your Peachy, he really must not know why he cant get his seeds. It reminds me a bit of boomer when I had to take away his things and he would just almost beg for it when he couldnt have it. Breaks your heart but it is for the best.
    How long has Boomer gone to bird heaven? I hope when I get there all my beloved birds will be there.

I understand how hard it is too get another bird. I lost a dog and could never get another after this tragic loss, he was young and I trusted a vet.

I have had birds since childhood, and I have loved them all.

Yes, I feel like horrible person not giving in to his begging for seeds. Yes, he does beg for them like a dog. I feel horrible. But he has stopped throwing up. I would feel worse if I continued feeding them to him and he threw them up. I go to a drawer and open it and he flies to my shoulder begging for seeds. Breaks my heart.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Boomer died almost a year ago and it really did hurt me when I lost him, he was so frail and sick for so long though that it almost was a relief to know he was OK now. He was a little fighter and just like a lovie just full of so much spunk and love that you had to just melt in love with them. I know when I die Boomer and all my loved pets will be there waiting for me, you cant love something that much to never see them again.

I wished I didnt know the feeling you have when Peach is looking for his seeds. Your right, it is so much better then watching him get sick, nothing is worse then watching them throw up. Does the food have any kind of mineral chips, cuttlebone chips, shells or even manu clay in it by any chance? If his crop is irritated these would all really hurt him and might make him throw up what is in his crop. Its a wild guess but I had to look closely at boomers food because like I said these really made him sick for days.

Your a good parront and you will do what is right for Peachy.