where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 22 year old Peach Fronted Conure digestion of seeds

Name
    Marilyn
    Thanks

Re: 22 year old Peach Fronted Conure digestion of seeds

Hi, Leo. I have a normal green cheek conure, pineapple green cheek conure, cinnamon green cheek conure, yellowsided green cheek conure and a Sun Conure......as you can see, I love conures, but my Pionus is a sweet boy and so is my quaker bird and tiel.
    "She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot." Mark Twain

1 Cockatiel: Bandit
    1 White Capped Pionus: Cotton
    2 Sun Conure : Pebbles and Petrie
    2 Normal GCC: Winkie and Tiki
    1 Pineapple GCC: Patches
    1 Cinnamon GCC: Cricket
    1 Yellowsided GCC: Angel
    1 Quaker: Dusty
    1 BlackCapped Conure: Olive

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boomer girl View Post
    Boomer died almost a year ago and it really did hurt me when I lost him, he was so frail and sick for so long though that it almost was a relief to know he was OK now. He was a little fighter and just like a lovie just full of so much spunk and love that you had to just melt in love with them. I know when I die Boomer and all my loved pets will be there waiting for me, you cant love something that much to never see them again.

I wished I didnt know the feeling you have when Peach is looking for his seeds. Your right, it is so much better then watching him get sick, nothing is worse then watching them throw up. Does the food have any kind of mineral chips, cuttlebone chips, shells or even manu clay in it by any chance? If his crop is irritated these would all really hurt him and might make him throw up what is in his crop. Its a wild guess but I had to look closely at boomers food because like I said these really made him sick for days.

Your a good parront and you will do what is right for Peachy.
    Boy did that make me tear up. Yes, you can't love something that much and not see them again. Then it wouldn't be heaven would it? I have always said if animals aren't in heaven then I guess I won't be either! I love them all that much. Whatever brings your joy and love will be there in heaven.

No chunky stuff in his cage, he does have a cuddle bone and a mineral block. But I don't see him using those lately. I stopped giving him toast pieces.

That poor bird follows me around when I visit drawers or the closet where I hide the seeds now. It is quite sad, but I still have in the last 4-5 days given him exactly 5 sunflower seeds and he acts like he has never seen food and is starving. He isn't starving, but obviously it is a favorite food of his.

Boomer is helping Peaches, and I thank you for that; she said tearing up.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mfc View Post
    Hi, Leo. I have a normal green cheek conure, pineapple green cheek conure, cinnamon green cheek conure, yellowsided green cheek conure and a Sun Conure......as you can see, I love conures, but my Pionus is a sweet boy and so is my quaker bird and tiel.
    That is just amazing to have so many conures and such a variety too. How do you keep them from getting jealous and territorial? I am not familiar with a Pionus, they are smaller than conures right? How did you get to have so many lovely birds?

My hands are full with just one active little conure! He really needs lots of my attention and he gets it too. He is an only fid, LOL.

Name
    Sara
    Thanks

I know this thread has been inactive for a while but just a thought... perhaps your bird is having difficulty digesting fat, and therefore seed? I'm not sure if anything else you're feeding has fat, but seeds often have a lot of it, especially sunflowers. I've heard before that birds can have a harder time digesting fat as they age.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I hope Leo will see your post and come back to let us know how his Peaches is doing these days, hopefully she is doing good still.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Talking Re: 22 year old Peach Fronted Conure digestion of seeds

Quote Originally Posted by Wuv_Bird View Post
    I know this thread has been inactive for a while but just a thought... perhaps your bird is having difficulty digesting fat, and therefore seed? I'm not sure if anything else you're feeding has fat, but seeds often have a lot of it, especially sunflowers. I've heard before that birds can have a harder time digesting fat as they age.
    Hi, thanks for your comments.

Peachy is doing very well since I cut back on his seeds. He gets a teaspoon of seeds every day, and he has not been sick since.

It could be he couldn't handle all the fat, but he was gorging. I just didn't realize it.

It was tough love, it was really hard for me to totally stop with the seeds and he kept following me around to each drawer I opened. I felt like a villain! So after a while of no seeds I gradually got him to 1 teaspoon a day so he could crunch his beloved sunflower seeds.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I hope Leo will see your post and come back to let us know how his Peaches is doing these days, hopefully she is doing good still.
    Hi again!

Thanks for checking back on Peachy. He is in his little hut purring away. He seems to be okay with the one teaspoon of seeds. It was harder on me than him.

He has been feeling very well, he was dancing with me yesterday. He was bobbing up and down to music with me. He does make me laugh.

I appreciate your input and help encouraging the tough love I had to do to cut down his seeds. I am very thrilled he is doing well since my last posting.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am very happy Peachy is doing just fine and also that he is able to get a bit of his loved seeds each day again, he is probably in birdy paradise when he gets them from you

I LOVE bird dancing!

Name
    Sara
    Thanks

It's great to hear he's doing well. It sounds like you really care about the little guy, he's lucky to have had you to take care of him for the past 22 years.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wuv_Bird View Post
    It's great to hear he's doing well. It sounds like you really care about the little guy, he's lucky to have had you to take care of him for the past 22 years.
    Yes, my little guy has brought so much joy and laughter into my life. I learn from him each and every day to enjoy every little thing.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I am very happy Peachy is doing just fine and also that he is able to get a bit of his loved seeds each day again, he is probably in birdy paradise when he gets them from you

I LOVE bird dancing!
    Funny how he does love to dance and likes the same music I like.

My lesson is to always listen to my heart and if I feel like it is something he ate and maybe too much of it; it is my responsibility to have to do tough love and take away what he loves, or monitor it.

I need to learn that for myself, I need to lose some weight, LOL.

How are you doing?

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Tough love is good love as well at times and I think you did very good noticing this and taking it away. Its harder to do this for ourselves because no one is taking away all them good cookies and other things we humans love to eat, if only someone could take it all away but then I would have to kill for my goodies and the hubby wouldnt like that

I am happy things are good with you and peachy, I am great here.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

i dont know if you are able to get it
    but i found out recently plantain seeds (the teeny, tiny black ones) are supposed to be really good for avian digestive systems

Glad he's doing well off his seeds x

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pixibubbles View Post
    i dont know if you are able to get it
    but i found out recently plantain seeds (the teeny, tiny black ones) are supposed to be really good for avian digestive systems

Glad he's doing well off his seeds x
    Thanks.

I have never heard of plaintain seeds. Aren't those the fruit that looks like bananans? Do you feed them to your birds?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

One thing I did add to his diet was cheerios. He loves, loves, loves those things. I also found wheat square cereal. They are from Trader Joe's and low, low sodium in the cheerios, no sugar.

The only thing that concerned me was they add vitamins to them, iron, zinc. I worried about the zinc particularly since that is toxic to them when it is from a cage or washer or nut part.

Any comments?