Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 22 year old Peach Fronted Conure digestion of seeds

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

22 year old Peach Fronted Conure digestion of seeds

I know people mean well, but saying he needs to see a vet is not why I am posting this. I get that response from what I am posting.

He has been throwing up seeds only; he digests his veges and muffins fine. He is eating other foods fine, and has not lost any weight (I weigh him daily). He just is not chewing and digesting seeds well. I think he is not chewing them up enough, or his older digestive system is not digesting like he use to.

People have digestive problems as they age, and they are not sick. They adjust by changing their diet. I just wondered if anyone else has had this experience with an older bird.

P.S. I have had to stop his seeds for now. I feed him just extremely healthy muffins (homemade), veges, fruits, etc.

Thanks. I wonder if anyone has an older conure with this problem. He did this a few years back, so I started making him muffins and changed bird seed. All was well for years. I don't think it is the bird seed as I sprouted some and they all sprouted; so they are fresh.

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

Re: 22 year old Peach Fronted Conure digestion of seeds

Honestly, the first step when a bird is throwing up is to have a vet check it out. Once you can rule out sickness, then you can start to adjust the diet.

Very few, if any, people here will be able to give you other advice than that.

Are you sure he's vomiting and not regurgitating?

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I have to agree with you about as we people age we do adjust our diet because some things just dont agree with us anymore. I never heard of a bird doing this but I can see why you said it. I have no clue why he would be throwing up seeds and not everything else though, I hope he is OK.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

HAS he seen a vet?
    If so what was said? Without knowing what the vet has ruled out, we are just guessing- and any advice is only guessing- and we could be missing something serious- or something easily solved.

I'm wondering if it could be something really simple like a sore somewhere in the beak? Something irritating him maybe? What's making me think this is that he's still eating soft things. Is his beak the right length?

What if you get ready shelled seeds? Have you a good organic store near you? Could you buy hulled seeds and make your own mix? Maybe he is struggling to shell them for some reason? If seeds are an issue then what about pellets?

The thing that worries me, is this could be something other than old age. I've not had conures, and dont really know how old 22 is for a peach front, but i have had birds who have lived well past the usual lifespan. None of them ever went off seeds. In fact there was one Keet who decided he only wanted to eat seeds and lettace in the last 3 years of his life lol Couldnt find anything wrong with him, and as he was around 20 (adult when my Nan got him so could only guess by how long the family had him) it was figured he was just being a grumpy old man lol

Like i said i dont know much about conures or their eating habits- BUT i know for most small birds seeds make up the majority of their diet- so i'm suprised that he would have issues with seed but not fruit.

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boomer girl View Post
    I have to agree with you about as we people age we do adjust our diet because some things just dont agree with us anymore. I never heard of a bird doing this but I can see why you said it. I have no clue why he would be throwing up seeds and not everything else though, I hope he is OK.
    Thank you. I am so happy to have a response that is positive. I do not agree with the 2nd posting. I already said that before the posting.

I have been giving him softer foods, veges, and even low sugar (2gm) and low salt TJ's toasted O's cereal, and no sugar/salt shredded wheats, and he has been doing so much better!

We have to adjust our diets and realize as we age things change. You can not run to the Dr. or vet as they really do not know much on nutrition.

Thank you. I will continue to update.
    Last edited by leo3; 02-13-2010 at 12:48 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Smile Re: 22 year old Peach Fronted Conure digestion of seeds

Quote Originally Posted by pixibubbles View Post
    HAS he seen a vet?
    If so what was said? Without knowing what the vet has ruled out, we are just guessing- and any advice is only guessing- and we could be missing something serious- or something easily solved.

I'm wondering if it could be something really simple like a sore somewhere in the beak? Something irritating him maybe? What's making me think this is that he's still eating soft things. Is his beak the right length?

What if you get ready shelled seeds? Have you a good organic store near you? Could you buy hulled seeds and make your own mix? Maybe he is struggling to shell them for some reason? If seeds are an issue then what about pellets?

The thing that worries me, is this could be something other than old age. I've not had conures, and dont really know how old 22 is for a peach front, but i have had birds who have lived well past the usual lifespan. None of them ever went off seeds. In fact there was one Keet who decided he only wanted to eat seeds and lettace in the last 3 years of his life lol Couldnt find anything wrong with him, and as he was around 20 (adult when my Nan got him so could only guess by how long the family had him) it was figured he was just being a grumpy old man lol

Like i said i dont know much about conures or their eating habits- BUT i know for most small birds seeds make up the majority of their diet- so i'm suprised that he would have issues with seed but not fruit.
    He eats pistachios just fine, he grinds those up to a fine dust and digest them fine.

I think bird seeds just don't agree with him anymore. Sunflower, safflower, etc. I think he just has forgotten (old age?) how to grind those up?

I watch him closely, and I have for 22 years; his beak is fine, and he is happy, and has fun and plays. He is now eating his corn on the cob slice and enjoying himself; he does not throw that up.

I enjoy him and laugh at his playing every day. I just know we age, and have to adjust. I am glad I watch him and know him so well.

Thanks.

Name
    Brittany
    Thanks

Umm, i don't think LC's post was negative at all. If your bird is throwing up, taking him to a vet would be the responsible thing to do.

Are you a vet? How do you know that it is a nutrition problem? Can you run lab tests to confirm that it is just the seeds that is making him throw up? Birds are not people, just because people have a hard time digesting certain foods when they are older doesn't necessarily mean that is the problem with your bird.
    Why wouldn't you take your bird to a vet? I don't see why you wouldn't just give him a check up to make sure he is still healthy, and you can't tell a bird is healthy just by looking at him. Birds can hide sickness very well and a lot of times they won't show signs of illness until it is too late.

I don't really understand why you posted this thread if you 'figured out the problem' already and didn't want people to tell you to take the bird to the vet if you know that's what most people here are going to say....
    ♥I Miss My Fids♥

Previously Tikigurl

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

Obviously we're going to say take them to a vet- coz it's what we would do- coz you have to play it safe- and if we said it's fine, and it wasnt, but was something a vet could treat- then we'd feel horrible. So... Should go to a vet for a check up. Really. Anything we can offer here is only guesswork at best- and based on personal experince only. Most people here have no vet training. I certainly dont!

Like i said- i;m not overly familiar with conures- but i think they are pretty small right?Smaller than a teil and about the same weight as a big lovie? (10 inches and maybe 70 grams?) And lifespan about the same? Maybe 25 years if well looked after? I'll be honest. If it were my bird, I would take them to a vet- just for a chat and a look over- provided this isnt going to cause more harm. If the bird is flighty, nervous, wont travel well and struggles with being handled i'll be honest and say i'd think about it a lot. At 22 we are talking an older bird- ie weaker heart and systems, so stress will be far more of a concern (to me) than say when i take my year old lovie in.

I'd also probably try to avoid anything invasive. I might let them run a vitamin panal (so long as the blood was taken from a toe not vein), and i really wouldnt want them knocking him out.

How long has this been going on? Are we talking days, weeks or even months? If we're talking months without weight loss, droppings change or any other symptons, then i would be tempted to leave him be eating what he wants, and enjoy the time left. If this is more recent- i would re-consider a vet.

As to the whole 'birds hide illness' thing. Yeah they do. BUT... if we are talking a tame bird who you have had for years and years, then i think that it's easier to see the signs. you know them to watch for the smallest thing that someone else wouldnt even see, and they know that they are safe with you and are more likely to relax. I know both Dea and me saw even the tiniest thing in our birds that sometimes even the vet couldnt spot.

/End Essay

Have you thought about offering pellets? There are a lot of birds who live on them for 90% of their diets. Maybe they will be easier than the seeds for him?

PS- lets have some pics of the old guy!

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

Random addition.

Is he actually eating the seeds?
    Or just spitting them out and not eating them?

If this is a recent thing- have you considered binning your entire supply of seeds and starting again? is there a chance this is just seeds that have gone off, or in some other way become unsuitable for eating, and he's tasting that and refusing to swallow?

Name
    Brittany
    Thanks

Helen, you are right about an older bird getting stressed a lot faster than a younger bird. But if he is throwing up and he is that old I would be very concerned. I would at the very least talk to a vet and ask their advice.

The OP didn't really give too much information so of course the first thing that would come to mind is vet. You can't really tell what's wrong with a bird with such little information, so some answers to Helen's questions would be very helpful.

I wasn't trying to be rude, mean, etc. but saying your going to ignore someone's post because they said 'bring him to a vet' is rude, IMO.
    ♥I Miss My Fids♥

Previously Tikigurl

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I don't know if he is feeding his bird all kinds of other things and it isn't getting sick on these it may just not be able to digest seeds anymore. Or did you change his seeds recently? All I can say is when boomer came down with his illness he was taken to a vet and they never once told me that I needed to limit his diet and take away things. It was me who figured out that when boomer ate fruit, he got sick also fresh vegetables. When boomer ate corn he would chock on it and it was me who watched him carefully and when he showed me he was sick after eating a certain food he would not get that food anymore. His vet didn't tell me what to feed him it was all my decision to drastically change his diet and to this day I know it kept him alive for years longer by doing so without a vet telling to do it. We know our birds best, better then anyone else out there and if you know deep down your Conure is OK eating everything but seed then I have to say maybe its OK. But please watch it carefully, monitor his poops daily and if his poops change that is when you will need a vet. My bird was sick with digestive ills for years and if he was sick his poops changed right away and that was usually when I took him to his vets to be looked at.

I am no way saying never take birds to the vets but knowing I changed boomers diet like I did to make him not get sick there is no way I can tell anyone here that they need a vet when I did it without consulting with my vet. I did let her know when I took boomer in for checkups about his diet change and she agreed with me, if it hurts or makes him sick just dont feed it anymore.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boomer girl View Post
    I don't know if he is feeding his bird all kinds of other things and it isn't getting sick on these it may just not be able to digest seeds anymore. Or did you change his seeds recently? All I can say is when boomer came down with his illness he was taken to a vet and they never once told me that I needed to limit his diet and take away things. It was me who figured out that when boomer ate fruit, he got sick also fresh vegetables. When boomer ate corn he would chock on it and it was me who watched him carefully and when he showed me he was sick after eating a certain food he would not get that food anymore. His vet didn't tell me what to feed him it was all my decision to drastically change his diet and to this day I know it kept him alive for years longer by doing so without a vet telling to do it. We know our birds best, better then anyone else out there and if you know deep down your Conure is OK eating everything but seed then I have to say maybe its OK. But please watch it carefully, monitor his poops daily and if his poops change that is when you will need a vet. My bird was sick with digestive ills for years and if he was sick his poops changed right away and that was usually when I took him to his vets to be looked at.

I am no way saying never take birds to the vets but knowing I changed boomers diet like I did to make him not get sick there is no way I can tell anyone here that they need a vet when I did it without consulting with my vet. I did let her know when I took boomer in for checkups about his diet change and she agreed with me, if it hurts or makes him sick just dont feed it anymore.
    How old was boomer and what breed was he? This is the info I am looking for, not go to a vet. I know my bird, and I watch him closely; he only has trouble with one food, seeds.

This is a new shipment from Dr. Fosters and Smith, a good quality food (seeds) with bags that are nitrogen flushed; no bugs. I sprouted these seeds and all sprouted, so fresh. No bugs.

I have kept birds for 30 years. I am just saying, as others have said. I watch my bird eating, and what agrees with him and what doesn't. I just wondered if bird seeds just do not agree with aging birds.

No arguments needed here. Just friendly bird discussions. Thanks for your discussions here to help birds.

It is the bird seed and I have tried different brands and new shipments. He just either doesn't chew good, or his older system doesn't digest good.

I just wanted to hear other bird lovers experiences of older birds. Thanks.

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

I just don't see how a bird could one day stop digesting seed. If he's having digestive issues, it's not just a matter of not giving him seeds, since that could be caused from something other than old age. Considering how many birds live their entire lives on seeds (pet and wild), I refuse to believe it's just a matter of old age.

Also, since I assume he's throwing them up right away, the seeds would just have been in his crop, not being digested. If his crop is irritated for some reason and the seeds are signaling the irritation, that is yet another reason to get him checked out.

Your refusal to even see a vet really astounds me. If you don't like what the vet tells you, don't follow it, but at least get the opinion of someone who has gone to school for a huge amount of time to become an avian certified vet and knows much more about birds than the majority of people here. A vet is another person (and bird lover with experience with older birds) who can give you advice that is likely more knowledgeable than what you will find here.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

Like i said
    if seeds are so much of an issue- what about pellets?
    And i've never known a bird to go off seeds- fresh foods yes, but not seeds
    It really is a puzzle

How long has this been going on this time? and how long did it last the first time?

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

Are you certain he's vomiting? Does it happen right after eating seed or is there just seed in it?