where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 22 year old Peach Fronted Conure digestion of seeds

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Re: 22 year old Peach Fronted Conure digestion of seeds

Quote Originally Posted by boomer girl View Post
    Tough love is good love as well at times and I think you did very good noticing this and taking it away. Its harder to do this for ourselves because no one is taking away all them good cookies and other things we humans love to eat, if only someone could take it all away but then I would have to kill for my goodies and the hubby wouldnt like that

I am happy things are good with you and peachy, I am great here.
    Thanks, we are the best to observe our little feathered friends.

I am helping to eat some of Peaches cheerios in the morning, LOL. So they won't go stale on him while he eats his little supply. But he doesn't get my cheesecake from TJ's. Oh my gosh I would kill if that was taken away, LOL. Still think I need tough love to cut those fat and calories out.

Glad you are well.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I love cheesecake, cant blame you for not sharing it with Peachy.

Have you looked up the Avian website? I just loved this site when I needed things for boomer and this is a article about food which just may help you. http://www.avianweb.com/nutrition.html

I dont think cheerios is the best for Peachy because of the added vitamins you mentioned, it is the iron that is bad for them but really I wondered about Zinc as well because we know it poisons them. Have you tried to sprout her seeds? Maybe she can handle them a bit better if they were sprouted and then she could eat a few more of them a day. Not saying seeds is the greatest for them but if she loved them so much it would it least give her another way of eating her loved seeds.

You can also email the Roudybush company, http://www.roudybush.com/ and tell them about Peachy no longer being able to digest her seeds so well and ask them if they could send you sample of the rice formula pellets and also there regular maintenance pellets to see if Peach can tolerate pellets. They send you nice sized packages to try and if Peach can eat them it least it will give her lots of good bird vitamins and things she needs. Boomer loved his roudybush and when he was hungary... no one would attempt to take his "rou-rou" away because he would make sure your hand would bleed as you were taking it away! The samples are free so why not get some to try, especially the rice diet which may just be super good for Peachy.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boomer girl View Post
    I love cheesecake, cant blame you for not sharing it with Peachy.

Have you looked up the Avian website? I just loved this site when I needed things for boomer and this is a article about food which just may help you. http://www.avianweb.com/nutrition.html

I dont think cheerios is the best for Peachy because of the added vitamins you mentioned, it is the iron that is bad for them but really I wondered about Zinc as well because we know it poisons them. Have you tried to sprout her seeds? Maybe she can handle them a bit better if they were sprouted and then she could eat a few more of them a day. Not saying seeds is the greatest for them but if she loved them so much it would it least give her another way of eating her loved seeds.

You can also email the Roudybush company, http://www.roudybush.com/ and tell them about Peachy no longer being able to digest her seeds so well and ask them if they could send you sample of the rice formula pellets and also there regular maintenance pellets to see if Peach can tolerate pellets. They send you nice sized packages to try and if Peach can eat them it least it will give her lots of good bird vitamins and things she needs. Boomer loved his roudybush and when he was hungary... no one would attempt to take his "rou-rou" away because he would make sure your hand would bleed as you were taking it away! The samples are free so why not get some to try, especially the rice diet which may just be super good for Peachy.
    Thank goodness he gets such a variety of foods, he mostly eats his homemade pumpkin muffins with flaxseed, walnuts, oats, barley, blueberries. I did wondered about all those vitamins in Cheerios. I wonder what iron does to birds?

I did try sprouted seeds at least 3 times now, he doesn't like them. He likes to "crunch" those seeds.

I don't share the cheesecake cause I know how fattening it is for him. I take better care of him than I do myself.

I think I did look at avianweb when I was searching. I will look at the rice pellets from Roundybush.

He just ran by me, he is running on the floor eating a pistachio now. As I said I give him a variety, I do try to watch the fat intake. I truly think he was gorging. At least with pistachios he has to work to open them. Sometimes he just like to open them and not eat them, LOL.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Wow time flies by, LOL, since I posted this originally.

My boy is still doing good since I cut back his bird seed intake. I do give him 1 teaspoon of bird seed every morning, and he gets so excited and immediately starts cracking those sunflower seeds.

He has not thrown up since I had to cut down his bird seed intake. He loves his broccoli, spinach, corn, carrot tops, carrots, pea pods, and his mom's homemade pumpkin muffins. Millet spray is always available and he munches on that every day.

So he just was either gorging (yes he was) on bird seed, or too much fat.

He gets ocassional pasta, cheese, pistachios, peanuts, healthy crackers, cheerios or other healthy cereal from Trader Joe's.

Just thought someone would like to know....

Name
    Marilyn
    Thanks

That is wonderful, so glad you boy is doing so well. We do seem to worry about them alot don't we. My two peach fronts are real piglets when it comes to their fresh veggies. I also give them asian medly. It is a cooked food with lots of good stuff in it, they love to pick out the carrots and black beans first.

Keep up the good work, hopefully you have turned a corner and all will remain well.
    "She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot." Mark Twain

1 Cockatiel: Bandit
    1 White Capped Pionus: Cotton
    2 Sun Conure : Pebbles and Petrie
    2 Normal GCC: Winkie and Tiki
    1 Pineapple GCC: Patches
    1 Cinnamon GCC: Cricket
    1 Yellowsided GCC: Angel
    1 Quaker: Dusty
    1 BlackCapped Conure: Olive

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am so happy Peaches is doing so good, it really must of been the seeds now that she has still is doing so well so long after you first posted this here. It least she is still able to get her seed "fix" daily, this must make her one happy little bird.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

[
    Last edited by leo3; 06-06-2010 at 02:40 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

delete
    Last edited by leo3; 06-06-2010 at 02:44 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    G
    Thanks

It took me well over a year of mourning for my bird, Peachy. He was 32 years old. I cry every day over missing him.

I thank Boomer Girl and others for supporting my decisions and my gut for feeding and caring for him.

I took better care of him than some people do for heir own children. He was so smart and had such a character that I will never forget.

He was 22 years old when I was concerned with his throwing up seeds. it was the old bird seed companies were selling for birds. I changed his diet to organic people food. Oat groats and sunflower seeds. His homemade pumpkin blueberries muffins. His corn on the cob, pea pods, broccoli, spinach. There is more I am sure I forgot.

I do miss him so with tears in my eyes. He was such an angel of God to me. I am grateful to have experienced his greatness.

I could write a book about him. He was sick when I got him. Conure bleeding syndrome. Took him to the vet. He said don't give him spinach. He needs Vitamin K. I also gave him eye drops for eye infection (from vet). He was so strong willed and loved life....

Well my gut said give him spinach. As I said I have 32 years of his life I enjoyed. Miss him so....
    Last edited by leo23; 07-20-2021 at 07:23 AM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am sad for you that your Leo has passed away and I know the awful sadness that you have missing your little Leo. I finally stopped crying for Boomer but still do think of him often and still miss his sweetness and love he gave us. I now have my daughters Conure to give me my birdy fix and even though Tikki loves to bite he still makes me happy to see him. No way do I hold him because he bites way too hard. To live with Peachy for 32 years is such a amazing thing and no doubt you will miss him forever and always shed a few tears now and then for him. Sending you hugs and love. Deanna