Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Cold budgie, or sick budgie?

Name
    Kathy
    Thanks

Exclamation Cold budgie, or sick budgie?

Cosmo, my budgerigar, is acting strange. His feathers are all fluffed up, like he's cold, but when I put his cage in front of a space heater on low, he didn't improve. I am worried this is that French molt thing, or maybe something worse. Cosmo is my first and only parakeet and I don't want to lose him. I may be paranoid or something, but I think Cosmo may be really sick. He's also squeezing his eyes shut a lot, and he just started it this morning, and his feathers started being fluffed up last night. Also, for the first few seconds after he flies, he looks normal, but he quickly ruffles back up. Please repondez sii vous plait (RSVP, respond if you please, whatever. It's French).

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Cold budgie, or sick budgie?

Cosmo does sound sick and he needs to see a avian vet before he gets worse. If you think he is sick then my guess is he is sick because we are the ones that know them the best. This is a great article on what you can do for them before you can take them to the vets. http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/b...n/firstaid.php

The most important thing now is heat and on that page it shows you how to build Cosmo a hospital tank and I really would do this right away for him.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Kerry
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parakeet33 View Post
    Cosmo, my budgerigar, is acting strange. His feathers are all fluffed up, like he's cold, but when I put his cage in front of a space heater on low, he didn't improve. I am worried this is that French molt thing, or maybe something worse. Cosmo is my first and only parakeet and I don't want to lose him. I may be paranoid or something, but I think Cosmo may be really sick. He's also squeezing his eyes shut a lot, and he just started it this morning, and his feathers started being fluffed up last night. Also, for the first few seconds after he flies, he looks normal, but he quickly ruffles back up. Please repondez sii vous plait (RSVP, respond if you please, whatever. It's French).
    Your bird sounds sick. You need to take it to an avian vet.

French Molt is a baby virus contracted at age day 1 to 14 days. It has no affect on adult birds.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

french moult also means they lose their feathers and new ones grow in all messed up
    Something as simple as a cold can cause a bird to have the symptons you are describing- but it's still really serious- basically birds dont have a diaphram- so they cant really cough meaning if they get bunged up they cant clear it.

Definately call a good vet, keep him warm, keep him eating and drinking and keep us updated x

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Hatching
    Name
    robin
    Thanks

you seem very worried about your little Cosmo, I can't understand why you ask TF, there are no avian vets here. he should be seen by a vet------ NOW!
    Hi, I'm Robin

Name
    Kathy
    Thanks

Thank you, everyone. Sorry I didn't respond before now. I couldn't take him to the vet because all the ones in my area are WAY TOO EXPENSIVE and I couldn't afford them. Fortunately, he cleared right up, and I think I found the culprit: My bird is picky. He was out of millet seeds in his cage and was starving instead of simply making do with what he had. So I refilled his food container and watched as he started eating BEFORE I finished pouring. Anyway thanks again for your help, now I know what signs to look for in a sick budgerigar. Thanks!

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

can i also add that space heaters can sometimes be really bad. Some of them have teflon in which can make them really ill. Might be worth checking.

I;m glad your little guy feels better, but it might be an idea to look at insurance, or starting up a vet fund in case he gets poorly again in the future. You also need to get him to eat better things than just millet. It doesnt have a lot of vitamins or minerals in it. Though it sounds like he might prove difficult on this!

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!