Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: PTFE tape advice please

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

PTFE tape advice please

Hi guys,
    This might be an odd question- but

I'm having my boiler and heating system replaced. Just to be doubly sure i asked the guys doing the quote if the system was PTFE free. Answer is yes the boiler is BUT

they use PTFE tape (aka plumbers tape) on the joins. It's basically wrapped around the bare ends of pipes and it stops leaks and things. But obviously it's going to get warm!

Is this the same PTFE we all worry about with cookware?

Is it something i should be worried about?

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Banned Chick
    Name
    Sara
    Thanks

Re: PTFE tape advice please

Really? Why is this issue repeatedly brought up? Teflon tape is not going to be anything to worry about. Teflon itself doesn't *start* to release toxins until around 500 degrees (yes, someone will undoubtedly post some website that says different, but they never post any proof on those sites, just stories), the sites that have done scientific study and post references all say the same thing, I will say it again, teflon *starts* to release toxins around 500 degrees. Now, if your boiler is hitting 500 degrees, you will have way more to worry about than teflon (like your boiler exploding, see Mythbusters for examples of that, it's kinda cool)

So can we please put to rest all the worries about teflon tape, scanners, coffee makers, heated blankets, dryers, etc etc etc. ?

All you need to realistically worry about is overheating your frying pan when it's empty (one with food in it will give off smoke from burning food long before the teflon kicks in)

Thanks

i tend to agree - yes, it is always better to be safe than sorry, but you can't stop living. birds survive doing god knows what in the wild - they can handle things. really.

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    linda
    Thanks

, look i stay away from it. I lost a tiel to Teflon and it was not near no 500 degrees. cooked scrambled eggs in Teflon pan, at low heat feed it to my tiel and found him dead when i got home from work.
    same thing could happen with the tape.
    Linda

Banned Chick
    Name
    Sara
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parrotforlife View Post
    , look i stay away from it. I lost a tiel to Teflon and it was not near no 500 degrees. cooked scrambled eggs in Teflon pan, at low heat feed it to my tiel and found him dead when i got home from work.
    same thing could happen with the tape.
    Yes, don't heat the tape, then feed it to your bird.

Linda, I'm sorry you lost a bird. But I highly doubt the bird died as a result of teflon. If he had ingested any teflon, it would have passed right through it's system. Teflon is not toxic in a solid form. It is only toxic when heated above 500 degrees and the fumes are released.

Did you have a necropsy done? Did a vet tell you that teflon killed the bird?

The only real threat I see with teflon tape is if the bird ingested some, and the tape got stuck in its crop, or otherwise impacted the digestive system.

Remove Ads