Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: 7 Yr old Cockatiel Suddenly Died

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

7 Yr old Cockatiel Suddenly Died

Hello everyone,

I'm a bit heartbroken right now. My 7 year old little girl just passed away, and I have no idea why!

I had her out this morning, and she seemed just fine... though I noticed she wasn't eating the cheerios I offered her. I've never seen her refuse them, since they've always been her favorite treat. Still- otherwise she was acting perfectly normal! Playing with my hair and trying to eat my drawing.

My dad has been doing construction on the house, replacing the basement staircase. At one point, he was destroying a cement wall. It was really dusty, so I opened the patio door to let fresh air in.

I feel horrible because I should've checked on her during the day to make sure that the dust or cold air wasn't getting to her... It was around 0 degrees celcius, and I had the door open for maybe half an hour or so. I'm terrified that we caused her death.

When we got her as a baby, she had Chlamydia. I had to feed her medicine from a syringe for a couple months, but eventually she recovered. Since then, she had been fine! She was a little small for a cockatiel, but otherwise she was fine.

I don't have any other birds so I don't know if I should spend the money on a necropsy...

Does anyone have any idea what could have happened to her?

ashh; your so dang cutee Egg's Cracking... Karly-Ryan's Avatar
    Name
    Karly and Ryan
    Thanks

Re: 7 Yr old Cockatiel Suddenly Died

I am so sorry to hear about your 'tiel. I have no idea what could case it. If you have the money I would get it done other wise you might feel guilty for no reason. My 'tiels fav was cheerios too I lost her last year =/ I hope you get the answers you need, and again so sorry to hear about your loss.
    ziggy you really were amazing; come back too me

Tailfeather Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lovebirdfan's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Hi and welcome to Tailfeathers. I am so sorry for your loss. It's especially difficult when you don't know the cause. Keep in mind that birds hide illnesses very well and she may have had a condition for a while so it's difficult to determine the cause. Unless you took her in right away chances are they would not be able to preform a necropsy.
    I hope it helps you to know that you gave her a wonderful life and she was loved and cared for. If you ever decide to get another bird, be sure the cage is sterilized and all new perches, toys, etc. are provided.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

^Thanks for the info guys. We didn't get a necropsy, but my dad believes it was a heart attack or illness. He says if it were the dust or chill, it would've taken longer to effect her...

I don't think we'll be getting another bird... She's been living with my parents since I moved away from home, and unfortunately my room mate doesn't like the noise.

Perhaps when I move again, I'll get a new bird... we'll see.

Remove Ads