Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thanks

Question Aloe vera (spray)

Okay, so I've read a lot here about the beneficial effects of aloe vera on the skin and feathers. And since my two are currently moulting again, I've been thinking of buying them some aloe. Question however is, are the aloe vera spray bottles from pet shops alright? Is it safe if it gets into their eyes when they're being misted with it?

Thanks in advance.

Name
    Alison
    Thanks

Re: Aloe vera (spray)

I would read the labels and see what else, if anything, they put in those sprays. I made my own by buying pure Aloe Vera juice (available at health food stores) and mixing it with water.

HTH

Thanks

That's actually a good idea too. Thanks, I'll see if I could get some maybe.

On their site it says Aloe vera extract and Lemon essence but there are no more details. http://www.oropharma.com/NUTRI/Nutri...e%20waarborgen
    I'll look at what it says on the bottle next time I'm in the shop.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

You need to just look for pure aloe juice and then mix it in water for your bird. I heard some aloe products have other things in them that may harm a bird. Harrisons makes a great spray out of aloe, http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/products/avix.html Lots of people here use the Rain spray with good results. I also heard Georges Aloe is great stuff for both us and our birds. http://www.warrenlabsaloe.com/default.htm
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Banned Chick
    Name
    Sara
    Thanks

We buy pure aloe vera juice from the health food store. Mix it with water in a spray bottle for bathes. Mix a bit in with their drinking water. I add some to the mix when I make birdie bread.

We use it for many things. I even add it to my own drinks. It helps with digestion, among other things. There are so many great uses for pure aloe vera juice, it makes more sense to buy it in a great quantity and pure for all the many uses.

Thanks

You people are great, thanks for all the useful replies!

The spray is made by a company my vet approves of. But I think I'll go with your ideas and buy the natural aloe vera at the health store. How much of it do you mix into the misting/bathing water, like what is the approximate or optimal water and aloe ratio? Just a few drops?

Banned Chick
    Name
    Sara
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
    You people are great, thanks for all the useful replies!

The spray is made by a company my vet approves of. But I think I'll go with your ideas and buy the natural aloe vera at the health store. How much of it do you mix into the misting/bathing water, like what is the approximate or optimal water and aloe ratio? Just a few drops?
    It depends.
    For misting/bathing, I use a larger quantity, like 1/4 cup to 1.5 quarts of water. I would do this no more than 2 times a week. Also, this is for when our birds are in a heavy molt, or with dry skin issues.

When it comes to drinking water, it is more like 1/2 teaspoon to 1 cup of water.

When I mix it with the birdie bread, it really depends on what else I am adding to the mix.

Another option, is soaking the cooked bread in the aloe vera juice. This is good for "cleansing" the liver. This is really good for any birds showing signs of liver issues, as well as eclectus, who are prone to liver problems. Helps "clean out" the system, and aids with digestion.

Thanks

Thanks lots, Sara. Those are very useful tips! Since it seems so beneficial I might get my own aloe plant in the future too.

Name
    Bev
    Thanks

I got a gallon jug of organic aloe vera juice for under $9.00 at WalMart. It's "Fruit of the Earth" brand and is 99.8% Aloe. Made from !00% inner gel fillet. It also has Citric Acid & Sodium Benzoate as a preservative. How does this one compare to your Health Food Store versions? I'm pretty sure I have seen this brand in HFS too.
    Edited to spell check. I always forget that.