Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Hybrid View

Name
    Julie
    Thanks

Not too sure... Fluffed up and watery droppings?

Hello, I haven't posted on here in such a long time, but I was hoping I could get another opinion.

I've had my budgie Edd for almost a year now. He's on an all seed diet(has been since I got him back in July) and is a very happy little bird.

Last night when I got back from college, I noticed his droppings to be very watery and dark green. Since it was very late, I put him to bed. I woke up this morning and he's a bit fluffed up, but seems normal with running around like he usually does. His droppings are still watery. I'm not sure if it's just diarreah or he's actually sick. He seemed better in the warm shower this morning, so I thought maybe he was just cold(hence fluffed up) so I shut the windows and turned the heat on.

So I'm not too sure... he's acting how he always does, just fluffed up almost constantly and watery droppings that are dark green. And I've got to start my commute to school now...

Name
    Kerry
    Thanks

Re: Not too sure... Fluffed up and watery droppings?

Since he is not on a diet that includes fruits and veggies we know he not getting more water this way. Watery poop thus would indicate a sick bird. You’ve already discovered him puffed in his sedate moments. ALL birds will cover up being ill for as long as possible. To demonstrate illness it a threat to the flock and immediate expulsion. A lone weak bird is a dead bird in the wild. This is NOT something that can be bred out of captive pet birds. A trip to the vet would be best, but even giving some pro-biotices like Ben-Aback (sp?) paste orally would help. Once you’ve noticed a bird is ill one does not have a long window to wait around to get it help before it’s too late.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I agree with Kerry that if this is still going on when you get home you need to take him to a vet to get a checkup because he does sound like he is sick. My bird had yeast issues and when his yeast turned watery and darker green it usually meant his yeast returned. Lots of other things will cause the same thing but I learned with boomer that when his poops changed and stayed changed for more then a day he was sick again and needed a checkup. the probiotic is a good idea, it is called benabac and can be either a paste or powder and I preferred the powder because you could sprinkle it on wet food and they would eat it right up.

Hope you bird will be OK.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Kerry
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boomer girl View Post
    the probiotic is a good idea, it is called benabac and can be either a paste or powder and I preferred the powder because you could sprinkle it on wet food and they would eat it right up.
    Thanks for the correct spelling.

I suggested the paste because this person stated that their bird is a seed junkie. This is not to try and convert a seed junkie over to a healthy diet. That leaves only the paste to be sure the bird is getting the good bacteria.

Name
    Julie
    Thanks

Thank you for the suggestions. I monitored him very carefully when I got home and his droppings have regulated and he's not puffed up anymore, but I'm going to take him to a vet over the weekend still to make sure everything's alright. Just in case...